Status
Not open for further replies.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
wanna hear my personal way to choose a good film at cinema? Thanks to wikipedia: which keeps all of their BOXOFFICE, and i usually pick the one with a huge investment and with a huge gross, wanna an EXAMPLE??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_(film)#Box_office

PRODUCTION BUDGET 97 MILLIONS which it has GROSSED 616,2M world wide.

The numbers themselves are more clear than any reviews, and wikipedia also saved me from any possible spoilers.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When something is praised, trolls go into a rage and just bash it for no reason! If something is bashed, then the trolls think it deserves love, when it doesn't. That's modern IMDb in a nutshell!
Maybe you should e-mail IMDB and let them know they need to change the site? You probably aren't the only one who feels this way, but they'll never know how you and others feel if no one tells them.
My best guess would be a reputation score that gets cross-referenced from who writes a review to who votes it as helpful to avoid 100 alts from giving a troll reviewer a positive reputation and a minimum threshold score for regular users, so people who don't want to see low-rep users reviewing movies as, "There were boobs; would wank in theater." wouldn't know there was a "problem".

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's gotten really bad, especially since they took away the message boards. The user reviews just keep getting less and less trustworthy.

Apparently every day on IMDb is opposite day, if you know what I mean.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you go to any movie that is praised (like IT for example) the reviews are written by obvious trolls who give the movie low ratings in their reviews. The fucking opposite occurs with bad movies like The Emoji Movie where the user review page is spammed with 10/10 reviews. Seriously, just shut this piece of shit website down and put it out of it's misery, already! They got rid of the message boards and that's probably why good films are being trolled with negative reviews and bad films are being trolled with positive reviews. Seriously their reviews are untrustworthy as fuck! They even attacked good games like Animal Crossing: New Life and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Just fucking kill "Ignorant Moviegores' Dumbass Bitching", already!
Totally off topic but has IT really been praised around the world because here in Scotland reviews have been pretty average for it. And I personally found it to be a pile of piss compared to the original version?

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally off topic but has IT really been praised around the world because here in Scotland reviews have been pretty average for it. And I personally found it to be a pile of piss compared to the original version?
Are you kidding me? The Miniseries was a joke, save for Tim Curry's performance, as well as the child actors and most of the first part, with the flashbacks set in the early '60s. The second part was crap, most the adult actors (except for the late John Ritter and the one who played the adult version of Bill) were not that good and the level of writing for the second part was on par with your typical late-80s/early-90s soap opera. The first part felt like a decent late-80s/early-90s after school special about kids growing up in the late '50s/early '60s.

Last edited by CodyMitchel2,

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you kidding me? The Miniseries was a joke, save for Tim Curry's performance, as well as the child actors and most of the first part, set in the early '60s. The second part was crap, most the adult actors (except for the late John Ritter and the one who played the adult version of Bill) were not that good and the level of writing for the second part was on par with your typical late-80s/early-90s soap opera.
Sorry but for me the new one was not scary the acting was pretty bad especially the guy playing IT and even the other people I watched it with all said the original was better. But hey it's all subjective what some people like others won't.

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but for me the new one was not scary the acting was pretty bad especially the guy playing IT and even the other people I watched it with all said the original was better. But hey it's all subjective what some people like others won't.
I guess NOBODY can be happy, anymore. Where's my Delorean time machine?

Why does everything have to be considered terrible, on the internet? Even the good stuff? The only exceptions being video games and anime, unless they're unplayable like Sonic '06 or don't have decent acting and fan service like Fairy Tail.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First "used to be"
I have seen shill reviews, sockpuppet reviews, astroturfing and such for must be well over a decade at this point.

Learning to spot shill reviews is also a useful skill to have. A good start, in English anyway, is anything like this (review, statement of events...) that uses "I" too many times (as if to try to convince you they were there and actually did it). Before you go there though you can always do the basics of read the reviews and note which have poor spelling/grammar, all caps (though that does not automatically disqualify as it might just be an old person) and the things they pick up on (I recall reading various reviews where some puritan took issue with a character drinking, smoking and sleeping around which bothers me not at all).
Some have said critics might do better. I doubt it myself but they can be a good source of different things the average pleb might not look for or be able to articulate.

Beyond all that why do you think scores have value? A film is usually over 1 hour long and can cover an awful lot in that time. An opinion of that is often long and complex. How then do we condense that into a score in general? How is that score supposed to be relative to someone else's?

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, Cult of Chucky is not a bad entry in the franchise. While I have yet to see it, I does look good. Sure, not everyone likes Chucky and prefers Micheal Myers, Jason Voorhees, and Freddy Krueger and to be fair, those are the real modern day "Universal Monsters", with Chucky being not as famous as them, but don't let IMDb ruin the movie for you or me. Those reviews are just trolls trying to get attention, instead of forming their own opinions on the film. Someone brought up politics in one review and the film series has nothing to do with that crap! They don't have the message boards to troll, anymore; so they use the user reviews as a scapegoat. That's my theory on why the user reviews on IMDb are getting more and more "troll infested" than before.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess NOBODY can be happy, anymore. Where's my Delorean time machine?

Why does everything have to be considered terrible, on the internet? Even the good stuff? The only exceptions being video games and anime, unless they're unplayable like Sonic '06 or don't have decent acting and fan service like Fairy Tail.
Sure you're not 03bgood? You're reacting exactly like he does whenever someone has a differing opinion, and you brought up the same "bad" games he did.

Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sure you're not 03bgood? You're reacting exactly like he does whenever someone has a differing opinion, and you brought up the same "bad" games he did.
Which would be quite ironic if it was O3bgood as I was suspended from this very site 2 times for arguing with him before the mods caught on that it was him at fault and he got perma banned lol

Reactions: GerbilSoft

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know him, that's all. I used to be friends with him but he kinda turned on me and I was being nice to him. He told me that he couldn't "trust" anyone, anymore. Then he said something about being similar to this guy on YouTube that nobody has talked about in like 8 years. I think his name was Spax3 or something like that. He said he was making the same mistakes as that guy. He said "I bitch about The Oblongs, just like Spax3 bitched about Jason Griffith." and I was like "Okay, whatever!".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, me neither