Android Worst Version of Android

doughmay

Huh. Time went by fast.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who's used Android since 2.2 i'd say 5.0 was by far the worst version of Android. If the phone was in silent mode it would silence all alarms too. The best you could do was put the phone in vibrate mode if you wanted alarms to sound.

Personally when i'm sleeping i want everything silenced and only alarms to sound, as it's always been.

Thankfully Xposed plugins eventually fixed this, and it returned to been the norm on Android 6.0. I'm currently on 6.0 and is by far my favorite version so far. I've not flashed any 7.0 roms yet as i prefer stability over the latest and greatest.
I have used 2.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5.0, 5.1, and thats it. I had 2.2 on a device with 128MB of ram, and didn't have android market so not the best. 4.3 was kind of bland, eh. 4.4 was very stable, and I still love it to this day, 5.0....We don't talk about 5.0....5.1 is much better! I never have used a device that has past 5.1 sadly.

Reactions: InsaneNutter
D

Deleted User

Multiple reasons, but mainly the performance with the OS itself was awful, the whole "tablet only" thing caused a lot of incompatibility with some apps back in the day, and rampant instability (the tablets I've used it on would crash at least 2 times during use, without fail. Granted, one of those was an HP Touchpad but still...). The lack of tablets with 3 also sucked, cuz Google pretty much dropped it once ICS came out so it didn't get much fixed.

The UI was nice, though, one of the better tablet UIs still today.
You can also say that 2.x was bad cause it was for phones only. But Im all with you on that. 2.3.5-2.3.6 were super stable and worked very well. The 3.x were awefully unstable and had super bad performance. 4.1-4.2 were good for being the first to run on both tablets and phones and 4.4 was the most refined version... then they started updating the first digit more frequently and not add anything I cared about. The problem of op with data and obb is understandable... and now 5.x and up dont support lots of old huge apps for security reasons (now more things need root...) and thats a problem if you own a mid-low range phone that doesnt have any way of rooting (cant find anyways...) (j120f galaxy j1 2016 if you wanna help)
All the "it has better ui!!!" sounds pretty stupid to me- I had 4.x- like ui on my 2011 super low-end smartphone when it actually ran on 2.3.5 custom rom (difrence of compatibility of 2.1 vs 2.3 is huge)

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I think Android has a ridiculous naming/numbering convention.... the changes they make are so miniscule 7 should be called 5.2.

But as for the actual question I don't know which version is the worst. I like 5+ more than anything below though, SD card issues hasn't been issues for me.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
All of you guys hating on 5.x and up... Try 1.x or 2.x, I dare you.

Out of the Android versions I've used (which is pretty much all of them minus 3.x and 1.x) I would have to say that 2.1 was the worst. It was just so primitive and ugly, this was before Android was really refined into a good OS although they did a lot of things right, some of which Apple later copied.
Android has been getting incrementally better with each version IMO. There aren't really many huge changes from version to version these days, so few that you might not even notice the differences except for things looking a little different. It's all about the small incremental changes. It doesn't make newer versions bad just because they don't have huge changes.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
2.x was CRAP. Like totally unusable and even Windows Mobile 6.x looked BETTER.

I didn't jump ship (was iOS earlier) until Android 4.x. I just couldn't bear the horrible UI until Ice Cream Sandwich came along and fixed it.

My first Nexus was a Nexus 5 with Lollipop 5.x and oh boy, it was SO good. I still think that 5.x was amazing, since it was still a bit holo-y (I liked it, dammit) but had many new things added which started putting it in front of iOS in terms of sheer features.

And well, now with Android O incoming there's no debate at all - Android has long surpassed iOS, but I clearly remember the times when iOS was ahead... And I don't miss them one single bit. BECAUSE NOW I AM FREE! *runs to install emulators on his freaking PAID FOR PHONE he entirely owns. Screw you Apple*

Last edited by raulpica,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can also say that 2.x was bad cause it was for phones only. But Im all with you on that. 2.3.5-2.3.6 were super stable and worked very well. The 3.x were awefully unstable and had super bad performance. 4.1-4.2 were good for being the first to run on both tablets and phones and 4.4 was the most refined version... then they started updating the first digit more frequently and not add anything I cared about. The problem of op with data and obb is understandable... and now 5.x and up dont support lots of old huge apps for security reasons (now more things need root...) and thats a problem if you own a mid-low range phone that doesnt have any way of rooting (cant find anyways...) (j120f galaxy j1 2016 if you wanna help)
All the "it has better ui!!!" sounds pretty stupid to me- I had 4.x- like ui on my 2011 super low-end smartphone when it actually ran on 2.3.5 custom rom (difrence of compatibility of 2.1 vs 2.3 is huge)
Eh? I had an Archos tablet with 2.3 on it. :huh:
2.x was CRAP. Like totally unusable and even Windows Mobile 6.x looked BETTER.

I didn't jump ship (was iOS earlier) until Android 4.x. I just couldn't bear the horrible UI until Ice Cream Sandwich came along and fixed it.

My first Nexus was a Nexus 5 with KitKat 5.x and oh boy, it was SO good. I still think that 5.x was amazing, since it was still a bit holo-y (I liked it, dammit) but had many new things added which started putting it in front of iOS in terms of sheer features.

And well, now with Android O incoming there's no debate at all - Android has long surpassed iOS, but I clearly remember the times when iOS was ahead... And I don't miss them one single bit. BECAUSE NOW I AM FREE! *runs to install emulators on his freaking PAID FOR PHONE he entirely owns. Screw you Apple*
Actually KitKat is 4.4 ;)

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, Android Lollipop (5.0-5.1) were the worst. Now, there were tons of great features implemented with Lollipop, and the UI redesign was great, but, at least on the hardware I used it on, it was very slow and sluggish. At the time, I was using a Samsung Galaxy S5, which changed to the Note 5 shortly after Samsung/AT&T released it. (I think I got Lollipop around the time Marshmallow was being rolled out to the Nexus devices, can't really remember though.) The Galaxy S5 was pretty great, and my first Android phone, however, the Note 5 wasn't so great. I always found it slow while it was on Lollipop, and everything just seemed to freeze up after awhile. I would have to factory reset it after several months of using it for it to feel faster again, and it would just slow down after awhile. The entire experience of Lollipop on the Note 5 was a big disaster. Unfortunately, I didn't know enough to figure out how to look and see what could be causing issues. It was pretty awful, and it happened on a second Note 5 aswell, since we had to get a warranty claim because the USB port died, and wireless charging was utter trash in the phone it wasn't worth charging. The second phone was just as slow and stuttery as the previous, though Marshmallow did help a little bit.

I'm sure my opinion would change if I used Lollipop on something that's good, though the Note 5 made Lollipop seem much worse than it actually should be.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i dont dislike any version in generall but i cant stand that material design. it just looks boring and uninspired

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I have used 2.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5.0, 5.1, and thats it. I had 2.2 on a device with 128MB of ram, and didn't have android market so not the best. 4.3 was kind of bland, eh. 4.4 was very stable, and I still love it to this day, 5.0....We don't talk about 5.0....5.1 is much better! I never have used a device that has past 5.1 sadly.

I had 2.2 on my first Android device, the HTC Desire. That had 512mb of ram so ran really well at the time. HTC also skinned Android really nice with the first version of HTC Sense. Android at the point looked very dated in my option, however HTC Sense made it look great. The only trouble was you had around 150mb of space for user installed apps which soon got used up, thankfully with custom roms you could use APP2SD to move all user installed apps to an EXT3 partition on the SD card.

My 2.3 experience was again on the HTC Desire, i flashed the MIUI rom which added many things we take for granted today in Android, such as toggles for WiFi and screen brightness in the notification tray. Still to this day that was my favorite custom rom, based on that experience i'd certainly consider a phone from Xiaomi.

I used 4.0 to 4.4 on my Galaxy Nexus, i think Android 4.0 was the first time Android looked fantastic out the box. I agree 4.4 took everything that was great and improved it. This ran so much more smoothly on my Galaxy Nexus compared to 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3. Even today i still like 4.4.

Currently i have my OnePlus One which started on 4.4. Android 5.0 looked nice with the material design, however functionality wise was awful. 5.1 was usable with some Xposed modules and Cyanogen OS enhancements. 6.0 made Android great again, i'm more than happy with it on my OnePlus One. 7.0 and 7.1 seem great, i've used them however am yet to on a device i own.

At some point in the future i plan to flash Lineage OS, however am in no hurry.

Last edited by InsaneNutter,

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Howdy peeps :)

Now I'm Temp's resident Android fanboy but even I can admit when a version of Android absolutely sucks. I made this thread because I wanted to see which version of Android, most here are not fond of. I know some iOS fanboy will sneak in here and sing praises of Apple but this thread is all about constructive criticism. Personally I think that Android 5.0-5.1 SUCK! Sure, it's basically the footprint for the current look of Android, as much as I would say that 3.0 did the same for everything 3.0 - 4.4. That said, if you're an Android gamer, coming from 4.4 to 5.0-5.1 is a huge crash and burn.

When the Android 5 versions came out people were all excited about the way Android 5 changes how SD cards are used. In reality, SD card usage was fucked up. At least 4.4 and most below understood that when you install a game, install the damn "data" and "obb" folders onto the same damn SD card. In the case of Android 5, SURE, you can install a app to the SD card...just not the damn "data" and "obb" folders! What good does it do to have the 40mb apk file for Asphalt 8 on my SD card if the damn 2 gigs of data is still on my internal storage?!?! WTF Google?! Even worse, when Android implemented Android 5 for their Fire devices, that issue was never fixed. WTF Amazon?! They actually gave up USB storage in their previous OS version for this crap! Oh BTW, for most mid to low range Android devices you average between 4-8 gigs of internal storage.

Android 5 is a slap in the face to every Android gamer. For all the good features that Android 5 introduced, being forced to root to have proper storage support is annoying! So that's it. That's my two cents. I can't stand Android 5.0 - 5.1 and ironically I have a 5.1 device to root this weekend :P
Plot twist: I don't care, since my phone is so shitty it doesn't support installing to SD Card.

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Currently I'm running LineageOS but it with every new update, it's been making my poor HTC run more and more ass. I'd say whichever version of Android made transferring files to/from a pc a using a usb cable a pain in the ass for no reason is the worst.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have LineageOS 14.1 with Android Nougat 7.1.1 on a Samsung Galaxy Note II 4G, a 2011 phone with the latest official version being KitKat 4.4.4 I love it, but the phone heats like hell and the battery still empties in one hour. I think I should change the battery, but I don't know what to do about the overheating.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive used every public Android version, and the Android 8 Developer Previews, and honestly - my favorite is stuck between 4.4.4 and 7.1
I love the simplicity of 4.4.4 and that everything just...worked. It was also easier to develop on :P
Now on Android 7.1, I love the material design (yes I know it came with 5.0, but lets not speak of that). 7.1 is also 1) more modern 2) faster on my phones (Pixel XL/Nexus 6P) 3) I like Nougat :P

Android 8 Dev Preview is neat to use too, but is just too buggy to use as a daily driver

S

Saiyan Lusitano

My favourite Android version is probably 4xx as it has always worked wonderfully but I have a phone with Android 6xx and there's really nothing I have against it. It's fast, sleek, modern and more features, basically.

I do kinda hate the new Play Store icon as I've gotten so used to the old one.
nexus2cee_playstore.png

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Plot twist: I don't care, since my phone is so shitty it doesn't support installing to SD Card.
Android phones that refuse to move/install apps on an SD card are pretty damn shit and hell, it's better to avoid phones like these but am guessing they're a relic nowadays.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Android phones that refuse to move/install apps on an SD card are pretty damn shit and hell, it's better to avoid phones like these but am guessing they're a relic nowadays.
I got the phone for free, it came with a subscription. The subscription plan had 30 GBs of 4G net, for 5 euros per month, how could I refuse?!

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lollipop (5.0). Lollipop was fucking awful. All sorts of SD card permissions lockdowns (among other lockdowns), slow and laggy interface and a resource hog to boot. Really, I think Marshmallow has been my absolute favorite, with Nougat in a close second. Nougat will easily replace MM as my fav once customization via Substratum is supported natively on more custom ROMs (I like N's additional UX/UI features a lot), namely Lineage.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I got the phone for free, it came with a subscription. The subscription plan had 30 GBs of 4G net, for 5 euros per month, how could I refuse?!
My first Android was one like that too, it couldn't transfer apps to the SD card despite having an SD card slot and taking pics/downloads were placed on the SD card. Think it was an HTC branded phone.

Aside from the SD issue, the phone was pretty decent but I fucked it up and bricked it completely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D