Wood R4 v1.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamthemilkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 is the "cheapo" card and there's nothing wrong with that. This makes it a a worthy card again for dirt cheap.

hoebo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't logged in for a couple months thinking the r4 was dead but thank you for this new firmware update. It's probably supporting the newer Pokemons so Heart Gold and Soul Silver should work without crashing then.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Say what you like, but the R4 is going to be, hands-down, the most durable cart (and I'm not talking about clones) ever. This new firmware puts it on part with the AK2 (ok, maybe not THAT high, but it's pretty high already from what it used to be). Plus, you've got a WHOLE array of skins on NDSThemes that no other cart in the world ever had, has or will ever have (because it's super simple to create R4 skins). And nearly 100% compatibility + cheap price? WIN right there.

I'm not an R4 fanboy, or whatever. I've owned and currently own 4 carts over the past 3 years: the DS-X (which is hands down the WORST cart EVER - well, it served it time with tons of problems); the R4; the DSTT, and now my AK 2i. Out of all those 3 (excluding the AK since it's awesome), I must say the one that I was the most pleased with...was the R4, by miles. R4 and AK FTW.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
HBK said:
Say what you like, but the R4 is going to be, hands-down, the most durable cart (and I'm not talking about clones) ever. This new firmware puts it on part with the AK2 (ok, maybe not THAT high, but it's pretty high already from what it used to be). Plus, you've got a WHOLE array of skins on NDSThemes that no other cart in the world ever had, has or will ever have (because it's super simple to create R4 skins). And nearly 100% compatibility + cheap price? WIN right there.

I'm not an R4 fanboy, or whatever. I've owned and currently own 4 carts over the past 3 years: the DS-X (which is hands down the WORST cart EVER - well, it served it time with tons of problems); the R4; the DSTT, and now my AK 2i. Out of all those 3 (excluding the AK since it's awesome), I must say the one that I was the most pleased with...was the R4, by miles. R4 and AK FTW.

This firmware might give the R4 a bit of new life, but it's by no means the "most durable ever". The CycloDS is vastly superior, and the DSTWO will be even more capable when it comes out.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
HBK said:
Plus, you've got a WHOLE array of skins on NDSThemes that no other cart in the world ever had, has or will ever have (because it's super simple to create R4 skins).

Just so you know this new firmware doesn't use the original R4 menu, it uses the Acekard RPG menu.

So, that means you use Acekard skins on it instead now.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I foresee a lot of "wood" jokes in the R4's future
yaynds.gif

HBK

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
TM2-Megatron said:
HBK said:

This firmware might give the R4 a bit of new life, but it's by no means the "most durable ever". The CycloDS is vastly superior, and the DSTWO will be even more capable when it comes out.

CycloDS will never have the sales the R4 has, trust me. As for the DSTWO, we'll see. It's not a question of being vastly superior: the average Joe asks "yes, yes, it has this and that, but does it play games?" "Uhm...all do". "Which is cheapest?" "The R4"

And you have the deal right there.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
HAHA! I am so glad I didn't buy any new flashcards, I've been using the same R4 for the past 3 years and defended it in many arguments on forums and IRC, despite the lack of official support there was still a myriad of patches as well as ysmenu, but ysmenu was kind of a pain in the ass to install, and the GUI didn't add anything. This new firmware for the R4 is fantastic, I couldn't be happier. Thanks to all who made this possible!
yay.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
HBK said:
CycloDS will never have the sales the R4 has, trust me. As for the DSTWO, we'll see. It's not a question of being vastly superior: the average Joe asks "yes, yes, it has this and that, but does it play games?" "Uhm...all do". "Which is cheapest?" "The R4"

Ah, but DSTWO has the advantage of "Yes, yes, it has this and that, but does it play games?" "Yes, and this one plays GBA and SNES as well" "Whoa I'm getting that one then"

HBK

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
RupeeClock said:
HBK said:

Ah, but DSTWO has the advantage of "Yes, yes, it has this and that, but does it play games?" "Yes, and this one plays GBA and SNES as well" "Whoa I'm getting that one then"

SNES = all do, you get the emulator if you look, it's not that hard.

GBA = buy an EZFlash 3 in 1 or get VisualBoyAdvance. Or if you already have a Slot 2, awesome. Good for DSi owners, though.

Like I said, there are many alternatives. Most people, imho, will go for a $6 cart instead of one that costs $30+.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
HBK said:
CycloDS will never have the sales the R4 has, trust me.

I don't dispute that, but sales have never been indicative of quality. Some of the worst movies ever made have been blockbusters, and absolutely eaten up by the masses, wheras a ton of much better films have only managed mediocre box-office sales (or none, lol).

The R4 will always have better sales than pretty much any other flashcart in existence, because the there are so many more n00bs in the world, and people who don't take the time to educate themselves on a given subject before making a purchase.

As I've said, this firmware is certainly a good thing in that it will stop many of those aforementioned n00bs from posting dozens of patch-begging topics in the forum. Ultimately, it'll result in less aggravation for GBAtemp's regular users, and less work for the mods.

QUOTE(HBK @ Apr 8 2010, 10:43 PM) SNES = all do, you get the emulator if you look, it's not that hard.

True, but we should wait to see how much better the built-in emulator in the DSTWO is going to be, compared to the current homebrew options. It could be a heck of a lot better.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
HBK said:

GBA = buy an EZFlash 3 in 1 or get VisualBoyAdvance. Or if you already have a Slot 2, awesome. Good for DSi owners, though.

Like I said, there are many alternatives. Most people, imho, will go for a $6 cart instead of one that costs $30+.

DSTwo will probably offer the best SNES emulation of all, since it has a dedicated processor.
You know, better SNES rom compatibility, better scaling, less graphic issues (that's a BIG problem SNEmulDS has)
GBA is also not an option on DSi, Visualboy Advance is not portable.

But yeah it all boils down to what you really want.

HBK

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
TM2-Megatron said:
HBK said:
CycloDS will never have the sales the R4 has, trust me.

I don't dispute that, but sales have never been indicative of quality. Some of the worst movies ever made have been blockbusters, and absolutely eaten up by the masses, wheras a ton of much better films have only managed mediocre box-office sales (or none, lol).

The R4 will always have better sales than pretty much any other flashcart in existence, because the there are so many more n00bs in the world, and people who don't take the time to educate themselves on a given subject before making a purchase.

As I've said, this firmware is certainly a good thing in that it will stop many of those aforementioned n00bs from posting dozens of patch-begging topics in the forum. Ultimately, it'll result in less aggravation for GBAtemp's regular users, and less work for the mods.

Of course, you are right. Apple's sales might not be as high as say...HP in terms of computers and stuff, but the quality is superior (again, imo).

Is Cyclo is better than R4? Yes, it is. But R4 was most peoples' first cart, and thus this firmware brings much joy to this who have still not bought a flashcart to replace it.

HBK

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
RupeeClock said:
HBK said:

DSTwo will probably offer the best SNES emulation of all, since it has a dedicated processor.
You know, better SNES rom compatibility, better scaling, less graphic issues (that's a BIG problem SNEmulDS has)
GBA is also not an option on DSi, Visualboy Advance is not portable.

But yeah it all boils down to what you really want.

Exactly. For instance, I prefer 100% to play GBA on my Wii because of the awesome TV screen (downside? not portable!). So my PSP fits the job, with better quality and larger screens. So Golden Sun = even more awesome.
tongue.gif

Personal choice, really. xD

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
HBK said:
Of course, you are right. Apple's sales might not be as high as say...HP in terms of computers and stuff, but the quality is superior (again, imo).

Although in terms of Apple, the bulk of its components are no different than a PC, these days (it's not as if Apple manufactures hard drives, or screens, etc... they just take the same components PC builders use and brand their own name on it, and wrap it up in a shinier package)... it's the OS which is different. I build my own computers, and I tend to put together PCs that are considerably better than what Apple offers in all but the most expensive of their systems; and mine cost a heck of a lot less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    ewww key shops...
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Why do you really want to use key shops nowadays? You're not really paying towards the companies who provided the keys, plus its very sketchy.
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    https://gg.deals/game/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/ - I rather use the proper shops, but here are Key shops shown as well. They tell you the risks as well with each shop
    +1
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    One of the keyshops is 95% off at the moment (probably humble bundle keys)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    And a small percentage of keys bought with a stolen credit card.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You never know if the key works or not, they don't provide a guarantee.
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    Sure is... and poor devs get hit with the charge backs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Exactly.
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    Thor from "Pirate Software" said its just better to pirate the game than buy from a keyshop if you care about the devs
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    devs don't get hit with the chargebacks, the keys are free to generate
    at least on steam
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    Except he said the DEVS get hits with the chargeback cost
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    since the key gets bought with a stolen credit card
    there's nothing to charge back because the keys don't cost them money to generate in the first place
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If the game has a crack sure
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most these crack sites have dead links anymore or the crack don't even work
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    @The Real Jdbye What don't you get? If someone use a stolen creditcard. Then sell said key on G2A. If I the dev sold the game key, I will get the charge back cost. That's how it works, it doesn't matter if I generate 300 keys if 300 of them are bought with stolen credit cards. I never said it was on Steam, but its the dev that gets hit. There is a ton of stories out there if you google it.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just buy other people's steam account :teach:
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    Just tell them you're dead ;D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They already know
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    I honestly wonder how the EU would say if I willed my account to you. And Valve be like "nope!"
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @K3Nv2 - sounds like you need a better place to find cracks!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psionics offline right now or I would
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Psionics offline right now or I would