Wont recognize discs PS2 phat SPH-39004

tentam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So, I bought my PS2 back in 2003 and got it chipped to play import games. Since the original instructions to the chip has been lost I am not fully aware of the name, DME/DMS3 something. Different keypress on the controller upon startup should be used to activate different modes for playing (DVD, PS2, PSX...).

The console has been in it's box for a few years but now as the kids have grown older I wanted to dust it off trying old Eye Toy games. Unfortunately, it just wont read my discs anymore. Tried several games, original, backup, PS2, PAL, NTSC... using the controller buttons at startup.

The typical red screen saying "please insert a PS2/PSX disc" appears all the time.

So I tried putting in a cleaning DVD, ran it several times. No luck.

Then I tried disassembling it, accessing the laser, and cleaning it with IPA. No luck either.

Could it be the chip that is growing old? Or could it be needing an upgrade (hard to fix if it cant even read discs though...)

Or is it possible I might need to replace the laser itself?

AFAIK the original part for my machine is not manufactured anymore, meaning I need to buy from China. Are these realiable enough?

Can replacing be done without advanced tools?

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same chip.

http://ps2.x-pec.com/dms3_operation.html

Seems like a bad laser. Not sure what that would entails, because I’ve never done that work. I moved to HDLoader many years ago.

The DMS settings are saved to the memory card. Wonder if the save got erased/corrupt. I would check that first. If the settings are gone, then go to L1+L2+R1+R2 and set them back. Or even delete the save to force a new (uncorrupted) save.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Red screen of death you mean, Even if discs are not scratched or dirty? If cleaning the laser with q-tip and IPA didn't help, then it maybe dying/ or dead. Do you hear any sound coming from the laser assembly's motor like a grinding noise? Is the laser moving up and down when you insert a disc? If not, then there's nothing to do other than ordering a new laser.
As for Chinese repros, unfortunately it's your only option, though make sure to do some research and look for a laser that will work on your 39k system, as not all are alike.
Post automatically merged:

Also as a side note, you know you can load games from internal hdd right? If you're interested, i could elaborate more if you want.. 😉

tentam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Red screen of death you mean, Even if discs are not scratched or dirty? If cleaning the laser with q-tip and IPA didn't help, then it maybe dying/ or dead. Do you hear any sound coming from the laser assembly's motor like a grinding noise? Is the laser moving up and down when you insert a disc? If not, then there's nothing to do other than ordering a new laser.
As for Chinese repros, unfortunately it's your only option, though make sure to do some research and look for a laser that will work on your 39k system, as not all are alike.
Post automatically merged:

Also as a side note, you know you can load games from internal hdd right? If you're interested, i could elaborate more if you want.. 😉
Most discs are spotless as I can see. Not sure what the noise should be. I'll try to record it, see if any sound could be the right or wrong one (unless it is covered by the fan sound....)

I had no idea about running from hdd though. Most games (a few) are run from DVD. Perhaps would be a better option in case a laser cost the same as a HDD (I suppose you need to buy one specific that fits in the machine right?)

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what the noise should be. I'll try to record it, see if any sound could be the right or wrong one (unless it is covered by the fan sound....)
The 39k rev fan is known to be loud, but the grinding noise is way obvious when you hear it, it's the plastic piece that sits on top of the motor rod, that happens when it is not gripping to it firmly to move the laser up and down..
I had no idea about running from hdd though. Most games (a few) are run from DVD. Perhaps would be a better option in case a laser cost the same as a HDD (I suppose you need to buy one specific that fits in the machine right?)
Nope, you'd need to get either a ps2 sata adapter (like the Gamestar one) and attach any hdd to it. or get an OEM Sony network adapter, and a separate ide to sata adapter (installation is easy) and of course any hdd. With the latter it has better compatibility with games and also an ethernet port to transfer games and play online (with Xlink Kai) with games that support it. As for the former (Gamestar adapter), no ethernet port, and some users report compatibility issues with some games, but tbf it's still a good option imo.
Also goes without saying, you need to have FreeMCBoot installed on your PS2 memory card in order to format the internal hdd properly.

tentam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The 39k rev fan is known to be loud, but the grinding noise is way obvious when you hear it, it's the plastic piece that sits on top of the motor rod, that happens when it is not gripping to it firmly to move the laser up and down..

Nope, you'd need to get either a ps2 sata adapter (like the Gamestar one) and attach any hdd to it. or get an OEM Sony network adapter, and a separate ide to sata adapter (installation is easy) and of course any hdd. With the latter it has better compatibility with games and also an ethernet port to transfer games and play online (with Xlink Kai) with games that support it. As for the former (Gamestar adapter), no ethernet port, and some users report compatibility issues with some games, but tbf it's still a good option imo.
Also goes without saying, you need to have FreeMCBoot installed on your PS2 memory card in order to format the internal hdd properly.
I can clearly hear some noise when inserting a disc, tried several discs, tried pressing the button combination and resetting. Sometimes it goes directly to red screen, sometimes it goes to the menu where you can select memory card and disc, but it eventually ends in a red screen anyway.

So I guess a new laser is nessicary. But there are a few different types right? How to determine which one should be used in this case?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny