Gaming Wireless Dualshock 4 + DS4Windows Fast Enough For Retro Games?

fuctfuct

OP
Trophies
Website
www.derp.cum
XP
Country
Canada
I am building an "emulator box" and am trying to find the best single controller for most systems. So, needs analog and a good d-pad. Seems like the DS4 is the best all around controller with a great d-pad. I have read that it has less latency when use wireless than wired (kinda weird). However, that is just the connection from the controller to the PC/dongle. I have read more than a few times people talking about the actual encoding of the inputs to xinput (What DS4Windows does) can add 40+ ms of extra latency.. :/

Anyone have any experience with this? Pretty expensive to buy one and a Bluetooth dongle only to find that i can't play Mario 3, for example, well with it :/

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can't help you with DS4, but I've been gaming wirelessly on the PC with a DS3 and bluetooth dongle for a few years with no noticeable latency. Even playing fighting games like Tekken 7 or DOA5 Last Round, gameplay is smooth as silk. DS3 pad are cheaper than DS4 but I don't know how the d-pad compare. It's good enough for me, anyway.

fuctfuct

OP
Trophies
Website
www.derp.cum
XP
Country
Canada
So you are just using it in Dinput mode then? Not sure if the DS4 shows up like that. I have a few DS3s but no dongle to try heh.

EDIT: I am also interested in trying the touch pad for DS emulation. I believe you have to use DS4Windows to do that.

Last edited by fuctfuct,

fuctfuct

OP
Trophies
Website
www.derp.cum
XP
Country
Canada
$70 USD (Shipped) for a Bluetooth adapter and some software that has many freely available alternatives that do the same thing? With no guarantee it will be lag free of than them saying so once in the side bar? No thanks heh :)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$70 USD (Shipped) for a Bluetooth adapter and some software that has many freely available alternatives that do the same thing? With no guarantee it will be lag free of than them saying so once in the side bar? No thanks heh :)
I have a dongle with 1MS response time, If that isn't good, then good luck finding a free alternative. I can also use it with other stuff but I suppose you just wanted a solution for your pc and the ps4 controller? Well Hope you find one. I never used the ps4 dualshock on my pc without the (SEE LINK ABOVE) But you can use ds3 with something called motion in joy driver, is a pain to install from when i first used it but again, hope you find what you want. (You are gonna need x-input devices if you want to use majority of games for the system.)

fuctfuct

OP
Trophies
Website
www.derp.cum
XP
Country
Canada
Most BT adapters are about 1ms with the DS4. Its higher when a wire is used.

I am talking about the programs that encode the inputs into xinput (after the 1ms latency of the connection). All kinds of people say "no lag bruh." Just as many say "lag bruh" and a few sites state upwards of 40ms encoding to xinput. Fine for modern games (if you arent picky) but would be unplayable for me on old platform games.

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
works for racing games and all on my laptop, so i'd say yes. However, when using wired together with ppsspp and project diva 2nd i get some lag on my desktop lol. if you already have a ds4, try it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: hi