Hacking [WIP] Smea's coldboothax, redNAND, homebrew Proof-of-Concept

kiwiis

キウィイス
Trophies
XP
Country
Wouldn't pay too much attention to this, @smealum will never release it. If he does you can expect it to be neutered to launch userland stuff only and the source to be closed off for months, only finally being open sourced when a newer, closed source version comes out. That's how his group operates to keep people dependent on them for updates (and it works, look at all the attention he gets for providing userland on 3DS compared to the ones who provide kernel). Looking forward to seeing Hykem jumpstart a healthy scene. We don't need another unhealthy one like the 3DS has.

Last edited by kiwiis,

Techn0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am more interested in the hardware side than the software side. I miss the days of 32 point modchips, LOL. Have the pinouts been released for any of this?

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you cant just "rednandify" it, you would need the code that reboots the wiiU into Rednand mode (rednand is the same as emunand just a different name) i assume he also patches signature checks when rebooting into rednand which allows installing and running homebrew titles from the wiiu menu like a normal app/game

but as anyone familiar with the 3DS scene would know smealum also had a similar setup for the 3DS at the very start but didn't release it due to the ease of which it would enable piracy, he still never released any emunand solutions for the 3DS opting for the homebrew launcher as his weapon of choice for enabling homebrew without the rom loader stigma he usually seeks to avoid
What I meant by rednandify was the actual patching of the nand backup. Because thats the same name as the emunand patching thing for the 3DS, I'm guessing it's a modified version of that.
So once he writes his nand backup to the SD card he extracted it with windisk or whatever and saved it as nand.bin ran it through that rednand bat or exe thing with whatever patches in place and then it spits out a modified nand.bin with the patches then he just wrote it back.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not even hoping for a USB loader, we already have Loadiine. I'm just looking forward to emunand and homebrew in the future.
Things may not be out right now, but all I can say is the future of wii U hacks looks good. Especially with Smealum in the scene.

josh87402

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
All I can say is that 2016 will be an amazing year for Homebrews, sad thing is, I kinda feel lazy because I can't contribute anything to this community, all I can do is sit here and watch how much progress has been made.
Also welcome to the scene Smea! Glad you're here with us, hope you keep advancing, great moves keep it up proud of you.
Here's a throwback:http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-long-wil-hackers-take-to-hack-it.334282/
It's amazing how much we have advanced over the years, from plain speculation to actual homebrew being developed.

Last edited by josh87402,

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if he's running CFW off the SD card, does that mean the games are also running off of the SD card, like they do on the 3DS?

Reactions: Piluvr

josh87402

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
He hasn't said much in terms of loading games and stuff, but he showed off some kind of game there, so yeah, I guess?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu