Hacking [WIP] English Translation Projects List

Verard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It possible make a true patch for Last Ranker? it one of the best game for psp but need true patch to have fun!

JamRules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Hargrun

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have done some work on Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 4 – Kami no Hitomi to Akuma no Heso plus. (both ds and psp versions of the game)
The psp version is easier to hack as the memory is more fluid (as in the ds has limited memory and the psp seems to take the edited bigger versions of the file(s) better). I keep meaning to post my progress I just haven't yet due to certain people bad mouthing me and or taking credit for my work (in other games)/legal trouble.
the ds version has yet to take my font edit in a satisfactory way. Where as the psp I do not need to edit the font (that much...).

If interested I do have a large as in most of the text and graphics dumped and a chunk edited. (slightly tested). If interested give me pm. I do not intend to post anything other than this on this publicly for quite a while.

Reactions: Hargrun and GHANMI

evil9k

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Sry i know this might be annoying but how is the progress with Agarest Senki Mariage cause it looks really fun and unique.

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Errrr... So, guys...

akatranslations had the subscription expired, this means that most of the patches found in it are unavailable.

dollssoulkirie

Trophies
Website
evergreen-chaos.livejournal.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello! :D I just wanted to share something that I found back in October.

One day, while looking up a release date for an otome game, I noticed a link on tumblr about a fan patch for Gakuen K: Wonderful School Days. ATM, the progress tab has 0% for the script/image editing/patch. But it was a nice surprise to see that a small team of four is tackling on the project that no one knew, lol.

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Summon Night 5 is the worst numbered Summon Night. Though it's probably also the shortest with the least dialogue variation and hidden events so it's probably the easiest for a single translator to handle. A general grounding is Summon Night 3 is recommended; the other references are mostly name drops and so background knowledge isn't as necessary.

Probably the biggest issue will be Rexx and Aty's nickname. Their official position is 大校長, literally something like 'Great Principal,' probably something more like 'Head Principal' for the sake of looking less weird. When Folth and Arca learn who their fishing buddy really is, it's tempting to start rendering 先生 as 'Principal' even if it isn't accurate because it flows better. But Rexx and Aty explicitly say 'it's been a long time since anyone called me 先生,' referring to when they were a private tutor turned general children's school teacher in SN3. You'll need a translation that fits all those contexts or the dialogue loses its depth and meaning. Something like Symphonia's 'Professor' for Raine would probably be best, but actually using 'Professor,' I think, would be a misrepresentation. Rexx and Aty were former soldiers and most of their lessons with their student have to do with combat skills (literally, they learn skills from the lessons). 'Instructor' is probably one of the better options, but it doesn't really roll off the tongue and isn't something you would really call a person, I think. There is the option of starting with one translation for 先生 and switching to 'Principal' after the reveal, but that would be a bit of a tonal shift, I think, especially when I think Rexx and Aty ask that Arca and Folth treat them like they did before.

Also, their hacker will need to put together a system for subtitles. Some endings feature audio-only lines.

7th Dragon 2020 is pretty fun, but I think the person who did 7th Dragon was looking at it. Since 2020 is in fact connected to the DS game, I'd hope that they'll team up with them if it comes to that. Also, Neko's name might present a problem. It's actually a nickname derived from her real name, which, I believe, is Neiko. There's a scene near the end of the game where Neko complains she doesn't like fish, to which one of the nurses responds with 'even though you're a cat?' It's really cute but there's no real way to get the point across without the player knowing that neko = cat. You have to keep her name Neko because it sounds like her real name, so just translating Neko as Cat or Kat or Kitty wouldn't work because then the etymology of the nickname is lost.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, I personally would vomit a rainbow if Frontier Gate Boost+ was picked by these guys...

[USER]macaronron[/USER], are you some kind of living encyclopedia...? Õ_Õ

If you want to know anything about Summon Night and a a good chunk of JRPG or japanese stuff, macaronron is your best bet!

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just bringing up concerns from the standpoint of someone who's played the games in question. These aren't things I worry about when I play them since, you know, I play them in moonrunes, but they are things that need to be considered when putting together a fan translation.

SN5 also has things like 抜剣者 being read as 'Saver' and relatively little room for skill names. Almost all characters have official romanizations for their names on the website. Pariet's speaking in all hiragana is to indicate how childlike she is, so as long as the translation keeps that it mind, there shouldn't be a need for any typographical tricks. But Dyth not speaking like every other Cross from Lorelail is probably foreshadowing, so there needs to be a way to show that difference though it'll be obnoxious to read. Torque is occasionally referred to explicitly as a Craftknight (鍛冶師) and the fate of Wystern is brought up in background dialogue, so it's also worth knowing about at least the first Swordcraft. Similarly, I think the Night Conversation BGM also has the same title as the Swordcrafts, so it's worth it to do a bit of cross-referencing. These game doesn't let you rename characters, so at least they don't have to worry about that. They might need to edit textbox sizes for place names... Oh. There's also a 竜 and a 龍. The distinction isn't a plot point in this one, but it is a callback since the 龍 is likely to be the person Seilong was searching for in SN4. Preserving the distinction between them isn't as important, but it's probably worth doing for accuracy's sake.

To be honest, subtitles for 7th Dragon 2020 would be nice too. The battle chatter is cute and all of the voices have unique lines, some of which are hilarious. For example: If you use the hide skill with a character voiced by Sugita Tomokazu, he will desperately insist he is NOT slacking off. Including, the cooking lines and date lines are also cute and worth putting together a subtitle system for.

Also to be honest, I need to talk to neo about subtitles for CCC. Some of the battle dialogue is genuinely interesting and tailored to the character you're playing with. If you've got Gil and fight Archer B, Archer will make light about how it should be fine to call himself THE Robin Hood since he's fighting THE KING. But some of the lines are hard to hear, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to translate them without the guidebook...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.