[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well out of no where it seems
im getting constant bsod's in win 7 (about 20 mins from boot)
even in safe mode (though takes a lot longer to happen)
Win 7 Pro 64bit

its not the hard drive, it passed all SMART tests
pretty sure its not the cpu either

so could be a few other things like psu failing, ram, gpu
the catalyst control center is also crashing along with the drivers
I installed a 11.4 drivers about 2 weeks ago so it doesnt make much sense they are the cause or it would have started happening then

now the memory
I have 4GB installed (4x 1GB sticks) of ocz ram
I recently added another 2GB 2 months ago, a RMA from ocz
installed them and the computer wouldnt boot unless they were set to 2.1v
I have memtest running and im getting a ton of errors (and by a ton I mean almost countless) in between 2-4GB sections (mostly in the 3-4GB area) none in the 0-2GB range

my question is could the RMA ram be causing this?
the ram is configured in dual channel mode
the 2GB kit ive had for 2 and a half years, never had a problem before

slot - 1 - original ram (slot colored red)
slot - 2 - rma ram (slot colored yellow)
slot - 3 - original ram (slot colored red)
slot - 4 - rma ram (slot colored yellow)

in dual channel mode is slot 1 and 3 considered to be 0-2GB
and slot 2 and 4 considered to be memory location 2-4GB ?

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after a little experimenting the rma sticks were at fault
I switched slots 2 and 4 and got less errors but still a ton
removed both sticks for the time being and got 0 errors for a full memtest run

rebooted windows and nothing is crashing anymore, no bsod's, nothing

I dont know how both sticks of ram can suddenly just break like that
as I said ive have been using them with no problems for 2 months

anybody know of a way to fix it?
I really dont feel like rma'ing this ram yet again
the last time it took over 2 months to get my replacement ram

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Have you tried using only the suspect RAM sticks in the working ports to determine if it's the RAM sticks or the secondary RAM ports?

The only 2 ways I can think for 2 RAM sticks t fail at the same time is overheating or overvaulting wearing them out.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Or the possibility exists for motherboard failure. I'm not seeing anywhere that he attempted to run the purported good memory in the slots where the RMA'd memory was supposed to be failing.

If the bus between the DIMM slots and the CPU were faulty, that would at least explain why two would appear to fail simultaneously.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
First port of call should be to remove any mods you have made to the computer just before the problems started. In this case its the RAM sticks. Take them out and see if errors continue. If they don't try putting one of them in. You should be able to find the problem RAM stick no problem.

If you need verification I know Microsoft have a RAM checker program you can download and burn to a disc (or it might be built into the Win7 loader. Hammer F8 on boot and choose "Memory Diagnostics". This will run some tests in several runs if an error comes up in run after run then you've got a RAM problem
Edit: Never mind I can see you already HAVE run memtest first bit still stands. Remove and fiddle with your ram until you determine what is the problem. I'd say remove both rma sticks first and run. If there are no errors put one in, if errors occur try it in the other port, if errors occur repeat with the other stick. If there are still errors then start moving your original ram to the secondary slots. If errors occur then you have a faulty mobo.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1. Check the Voltages and Frequency settings of your memory modules. The modules coupled in Dual Channel should be running at the same frequency to match timings. The Voltage has to be equal with the Voltage recommended by the RAM manufacturer. Most BIOS'es will set it to 1.8, but sometimes 2.0 or more is required for stability, especially on "quicker" RAM models. *Do not* set the voltage to higher than 2.2 unless the RAM producer recommends such a voltage.
1B. ...while you're in the menu, if you have a Multicore CPU, select Unganged mode rather than Ganged mode. It should improve performance.
2. Clean your ports. Use a swab dipped in some high % alcohol or a contact cleaning fluid. Do not use perfume or liquers - plain spirit will do.
3. Try using only the new RAM sticks and check if it causes BSOD's aswell.
4. If the problem persists, note down the errorcode of the BSOD's and post them.
5. Post a detailed build of your rig.
6. Update your motherboard BIOS.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally got around to trying to fix this
I kinda just put the "problem" ram sticks back in the package and left them on the tower so I can at least use the computer again, then just noticed them the other day

anyway I think it may be just a voltage problem
I had it set to 2.1v but set it to 2.0v this time and only got 4 ram errors on memtest with the same sticks when the full test was like 95% complete

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.