Will you buy retro bootleg games?

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I live in Indonesia, in the 90s and 2000s, most of the games that were sold in the market were bootleg copies. it's just recently that we could actually *gasp* afford to buy original software thanks to increasing wage and such. However, it's very hard to find genuine retro games in the market. While e-commerce is booming and a lot of people are now selling their retro consoles and games, a lot of nintendo games are bootlegs and sold at cheap price. Should I buy them or they are actually worthless (for collectors purpose)?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
from a actual collectors point of view they are not and will never be a replacement for a original cart, but that said for titles that are very expensive but you want to just have it on the shelf to play and to look the part then sure,

i actually have a few home made repro carts and it is nice sometimes to have a cart that just has a single role and looks good on the shelf, i know a lot of people really get a stick up the butt about them but aslong as they arent passed off as genuine and for personal use then i dont see the harm, i know some of the price gougers will be sad that people can buy a bootleg for £20 instead of having to fork out £200 because of resellers bumping up prices

but i guess the last option is getting a flashcard, if you dont care about the authenticity you may find a flashcard a more viable solution especially if you arent just looking at picking up a couple of games

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
from a actual collectors point of view they are not and will never be a replacement for a original cart, but that said for titles that are very expensive but you want to just have it on the shelf to play and to look the part then sure,

i actually have a few home made repro carts and it is nice sometimes to have a cart that just has a single role and looks good on the shelf, i know a lot of people really get a stick up the butt about them but aslong as they arent passed off as genuine and for personal use then i dont see the harm, i know some of the price gougers will be sad that people can buy a bootleg for £20 instead of having to fork out £200 because of resellers bumping up prices

but i guess the last option is getting a flashcard, if you dont care about the authenticity you may find a flashcard a more viable solution especially if you arent just looking at picking up a couple of games
I am actually planning to buy snes everdrive in the next few months. but well, you know, it's nintendo, you just want to have a copy of your most favorite game on your shelf to make you feel your childhood is always with you.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me it's not even just nintendo based but games overall. i personally would only get a repro game if it was either a game translated into my own language (english) or if it is a romhack. Otherwise i'd rather not have the game at all or use a flashcart to play games. If anything actual repro i would care about it would be n64 repro's since there was a rumor going around that n64 repro's actually exist. Only heard of clay fighters 64 sculptures cut having a repro cart.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am actually planning to buy snes everdrive in the next few months. but well, you know, it's nintendo, you just want to have a copy of your most favorite game on your shelf to make you feel your childhood is always with you.
Might want to check out a flashcart called SD2SNES. it is an overall better flashcart than a snes everdrive and if you are going the flashcart route, then you might as well go for the best you can possibly have.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
For me it's not even just nintendo based but games overall. i personally would only get a repro game if it was either a game translated into my own language (english) or if it is a romhack. Otherwise i'd rather not have the game at all or use a flashcart to play games. If anything actual repro i would care about it would be n64 repro's since there was a rumor going around that n64 repro's actually exist. Only heard of clay fighters 64 sculptures cut having a repro cart.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Might want to check out a flashcart called SD2SNES. it is an overall better flashcart than a snes everdrive.
yeah the n64 repros have started cropping up but its only the top teir games being done, i think there were flooding ebay a few months back from aliexpress but they have been clamped down on

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
By bootleg I assume you mean out and out fake things, not something like tengen tetris.

If you are sitting in the average English speaking or European country then straight up repros are a waste of money and I will probably laugh at you for buying them. Elsewhere same but possibly a bit more lenient.

Go back in time and the amiga here was kind of like that for a lot of people, PS1 kind of as well but eh. Should I find a sports bag full of copied amiga games at a car boot sale or something I would possibly chuck a tenner (£10, minimum wage if £7.20 per hour for over 25s, average price of beer is about £3.50 per pint you want to go that way http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Trends-Reports/Good-Pub-Guide-2016-average-UK-beer-prices ).

Should you want to play the game and for some reason emulation is not an option for you (why I don't know, emulation is great and often better than the original but call it a hypothetical) then I can see dropping a token sum. For instance you decide you want to play NES mario 3, you find one of these iffy carts in some shop somewhere and they say 50K or 100K Rupiah and then you actually go play it not long after then it is all good.

If you particularly want to collect bootleg games, I guess some could have some cool PCBs or something, then cool. Possibly not my thing beyond maybe getting a few examples if they have some nice PCBs I can put on a wall or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay