Hacking Will there ever be a no-solder modding solution?

ds_barf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.sebastiaanborghstijn.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
a follow up question, what does it mean by a non-solder solution. I'm quite confused.

He probably means a software-solution, like flashing the wii's software to allow unsigned discs etc
smile.gif

Dylanwhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a follow up question, what does it mean by a non-solder solution. I'm quite confused.

It means either a modchip that screws into the motherboard, or in this case the drive. It has spring loaded pins that make contact with the necessary points. It could also mean a softmod exploit where you don't have to install a chip at all. Many theories on how a softmod would work have surfaced but no one has had any luck.

If so how long do you think it will take before we see this on the market?

I think, looking at the past consoles, that one will come. I don't know how it would work on the drive because those points are very small and there's not much to screw to. Maybe once people begin to make chips that overwrite the Wii's firmware those chips will come along. Anyone's guess really.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As far as a no-solder solution, it's just a matter of someone designing a modchip that can make contact with points (via screws, clip-ons, etc.) without having to solder anything. As far as a soft-mod goes (modding the console without the use of a modchip) depends on if someone can find an exploit that'll allow you to run unsigned code. Since there are already modchips out, it's very possible for a no-solder solution to appear (probably won't be too soon since the current chips are already "quick-solder" and it always costs more to manufacturer a no-solder) and since nothing is perfect (as we've seen with every console before this) it'll only be a matter of time until an exploit is found.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll take either solution as long as I can't mess up my Wii with my non-existant soldering skills
wink.gif

D

Deleted User

I feel more comfortable soldering a chip ... as opposed to flashing Wii's firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*