Hacking Will 3DS roms be widespread available in the near future?

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You are on a site that started as a rom hosting site. Here be pirates.

Just like the PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 and DS then?

Oh wait.
Well late in its life span many publishers like SqEnix i.e. jumped ship to make games for the PSP instead. Don't ask me why, I always thought piracy was even worse on the PSP.

idane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Although certain people in the industry like to blame piracy as the ultimate evil, that is not exactly true. Piracy might harm game sales, though much less than publishers like to think, as most pirates wouldn't have bought most games to begin with.

On PC I almost exclusively play games I've paid for (which is something that changed in the last few years due to steam and others understanding that I want to pay, just a reasonable amount). On consoles it's a bit different because it's always been a chore to actually get a physical copy - I want to be able to look at something, say "hey I want this!", press a button and play, and actually feel that this isn't costing me more than if I dragged myself to a store or ordered a physical copy online. Overall, piracy won't cause a lot of lost sales, and in fact might reward publishers by exposing so called pirates to games they wouldn't have otherwise seen or even heard about.

As to the original topic - there's a whole lot of roms out there, waiting to be downloaded. Problem is, you can't do anything with them. Also, from what I understand the 3DS implemented their security using TrustZone and if that's true, well.. we may be pretty screwed unless they messed up pretty bad, which I think would be odd, as it would defeat using TZ to begin with.

I hope we'll see something soon - I like being able to have choice, buy I think it may be a while off, especially if they run everything from within TZ... let's hope I'm wrong, though :)

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I also buy most of what I play, but I normally prefer physical copies. at least when there is little price difference and the game comes with something like a map of thick manual.
At the moment I am mostly looking forward to the 3DS being cracked to be able to import games (I live in Europa, there are many games we don't get) just like I imported games for my DS. I don't want to pay for another region version of a system I already have, I always hated region lockout and Nintendo shouldn't have put that into the DSi/3DS.
Rant over, now back to waiting for Etrian Odyssey IV (we still don't even have a definitive release date, only "Summer 2013"). *sigh*

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It'll be cracked eventually especially when Pokemon is released, people want to use Pokesav you know. It won't be soon however. I just want a region mod and not so much a crack for piracy, I only need roms for Pokesav usage.

kumpandjill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As has been said, the ROMs are readily available. It's not hard to dump 'em. Kinda like PS3 games before the custom firmware was released.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just like the PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 and DS then?

Oh wait.

The DS suffered from a library of 90% shovelware. Whether piracy hurts the gaming industry is irrelevant but what it does do is scare away developers, which means less quality games made with care, and more cheaply made crap made for a quick buck.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
The DS suffered from a library of 90% shovelware. Whether piracy hurts the gaming industry is irrelevant but what it does do is scare away developers, which means less quality games made with care, and more cheaply made crap made for a quick buck.
The majority of shovelware simply goes to the consoles with the highest potential install base and lowest development costs. It has little to nothing to do with piracy and everything to do with potential profit.

Reactions: tbgtbg

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The majority of shovelware simply goes to the consoles with the highest potential install base and lowest development costs. It has little to nothing to do with piracy and everything to do with potential profit.

I didn't say that Piracy is the reason for shovelware. I said piracy was the reason for scaring away developers, which meant less quality games, and by contrast a higher percentage of shovelware.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't say that Piracy is the reason for shovelware. I said piracy was the reason for scaring away developers, which meant less quality games, and by contrast a higher percentage of shovelware.
Again, I point at the PS1, PS2 and 360. They all had early and easy piracy and yet managed to keep developers attracted to the platform. Certainly the PS1 and PS2 had a lot shovelware but this was hardly mutually exclusive of the platforms having a constant stream of quality games.

Reactions: tbgtbg

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Again, I point at the PS1, PS2 and 360. They all had early and easy piracy and yet managed to keep developers attracted to the platform. Certainly the PS1 and PS2 had a lot shovelware but this was hardly mutually exclusive of the platforms having a constant stream of quality games.

I don't know about PS2 and 360, but I did have a modded PS1 as a kid and I do believe that piracy was a lot harder to come by for PS1 than DS. I can just go down to a flea market and find 4 or 5 stalls selling R4 cards, but back in the day I would rarely ever find someone who would mod a PS1.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OP, recently a unknown if fake or real flashcard has been released, called Gateway 3DS. However, it can only read one 3DS rom, per one SD card. Keep yourself updated to this site, as information will be revealed.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
unlikely to happen anytime soon maybe not even ever, people still havnt got a Vita hacked fully yet
Not sure I understand the comparison, the 3DS was released almost a year before the Vita, but you seem to be implying that the Vita should be hacked before the 3DS. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Not sure I understand the comparison, the 3DS was released almost a year before the Vita, but you seem to be implying that the Vita should be hacked before the 3DS. That makes no sense whatsoever.

i was talking about progress of a hack, that what i say out of context why dont you but not including the full quote

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i was talking about progress of a hack, that what i say out of context why dont you but not including the full quote
I didn't include the full quote because the rest of what you said was completely irrelevant to the point I made. And I know you were talking about the progress of a hack, but the way you said it sounded like you were saying the Vita should be expected to get a hack first, which makes no sense because the 3DS was released first so there has been more time to work on a hack.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I didn't include the full quote because the rest of what you said was completely irrelevant to the point I made. And I know you were talking about the progress of a hack, but the way you said it sounded like you were saying the Vita should be expected to get a hack first, which makes no sense because the 3DS was released first so there has been more time to work on a hack.

consider i hold this thread as a joke

please hop into my Tardis and we shall see the future

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about PS2 and 360, but I did have a modded PS1 as a kid and I do believe that piracy was a lot harder to come by for PS1 than DS. I can just go down to a flea market and find 4 or 5 stalls selling R4 cards, but back in the day I would rarely ever find someone who would mod a PS1.

It wasn't hard at all on a PSX, at least not before they took off the parallel port. "Game Enhancers" were every bit as prevalent as R4's and let you do the swap trick no problemo. Yes, actually getting a chip installed required more effort, but there were still hundreds of places you could find online to do it for you.

If you want to talk hard to come by, go back to the SNES/Genesis era where you needed special copier hardware and a stack of floppy disks to do this stuff. Compared to that the PSX era was like the easiest thing ever.

Reactions: kehkou

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if a loader happens then 3rd party support will go and then Nintendo will go bankrupt

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

when was the last time a nintendo console had good 3rd party support? nintendo has always been about first party support, and has always treated third parties as 2nd class citizens.

also, look at the hacked x360 vs hacked ps3 vs hacked wii. 2 of these systems get great 3rd party support, 1 does not. the problem is nintendo, not console hackers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Hey