Hardware Will 3DS games only work on the 3DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerjr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it will have backwards compatibility, but will everyone have to buy a 3DS in order to play new games?, I just bought a DSi this Christmas so i'm hopping that i don't have to waste my money again.

Gryphon93

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, if you want to play the 3DS games you'll have to buy a 3DS to play them. It's not like with the DS and DSi, because 3DS is a new handheld. I'm quite sure they will put more power into the 3DS too, and that will make it impossible for the DS to handle, but that's just what I think.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Short answer: 3DS Games are compatible with ONLY the 3DS (Or Future 3DS Models, 3DS Mini, 3DS MEGA, SUPAH 3DS, etc.)

Long Answer: Wow, what a dumb [DUCK HUNT!!] you must be to think that a gaming console that IS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT CONSOLE will have it's games be compatible with ANOTHER CONSOLE! That's like saying if PSOne Disks are Compatible with N64 Systems or Sega Genesis games are compatible with the Gameboy! Wow, you must know nothing about how video games and systems work!
n00b. *facepaws*
YES YOU NEED A 3DS TO PLAY 3DS GAMES!

iYoshi-

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you serious mang? Dude when has there ever been a game compat iwth another system?Well maybe nintendo will make their new console games compat with older consoles

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
iYoshi- said:
Are you serious mang? Dude when has there ever been a game compat iwth another system?Well maybe nintendo will make their new console games compat with older consoles
I really didn't understand this post.
W/e, there were some gameboy color games, that were color on the gbc, but green and more green on the normal gameboy, so yea, I think there is a chance for the first few games to be compatible with the DS we have now.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wabsta said:
iYoshi- said:
W/e, there were some gameboy color games, that were color on the gbc, but green and more green on the normal gameboy, so yea, I think there is a chance for the first few games to be compatible with the DS we have now.
you're talking about the GB/GBC stuff.
that's what we have now with DSi enhanced.

they only do that with minor upgrades of consoles(DS to DSi)
3DS will be a major upgrade(such as GBC to GBA) there will be most likely such a difference in power between the DSi and 3DS that they can't just make 3ds games work on DSi.
ever seen a GBA game that ran on a GBC?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xcdjy said:
I love how this forum has become a breeding ground for arrogant noobs
rolleyes.gif
In answer to your question, gamerjr, although there is no confirmation at the moment, we're 99% sure that you need a 3DS to play 3DS games. It would be like trying to play a DS game on a GBA
smile.gif
. The 3DS is a successor to the DS franchise, not another revision
smile.gif
Unless there some games that can get 3d enhance , so some of those games would lose the 3d and any other features lost from hardware limitations on the dsi/ds.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
thedicemaster said:
wabsta said:
iYoshi- said:
you're talking about the GB/GBC stuff.
that's what we have now with DSi enhanced.

they only do that with minor upgrades of consoles(DS to DSi)
3DS will be a major upgrade(such as GBC to GBA) there will be most likely such a difference in power between the DSi and 3DS that they can't just make 3ds games work on DSi.
ever seen a GBA game that ran on a GBC?
Ah right, idd. My bad.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I have read this appears to be an entirely new handheld that offers bc with the DS and DSi games. Because of this, I don't think 3ds games will be playable on a DS or DSi.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arwen20 said:
From what I have read this appears to be an entirely new handheld that offers bc with the DS and DSi games. Because of this, I don't think 3ds games will be playable on a DS or DSi.

This is truth.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
xcdjy said:
DJ91990 said:
Short answer: 3DS Games are compatible with ONLY the 3DS (Or Future 3DS Models, 3DS Mini, 3DS MEGA, SUPAH 3DS, etc.)

Long Answer: Wow, what a dumb [DUCK HUNT!!] you must be to think that a gaming console that IS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT CONSOLE will have it's games be compatible with ANOTHER CONSOLE! That's like saying if PSOne Disks are Compatible with N64 Systems or Sega Genesis games are compatible with the Gameboy! Wow, you must know nothing about how video games and systems work!
n00b. *facepaws*
YES YOU NEED A 3DS TO PLAY 3DS GAMES!

QUOTE(iYoshi- @ Apr 17 2010, 09:58 AM) Are you serious mang? Dude when has there ever been a game compat iwth another system?Well maybe nintendo will make their new console games compat with older consoles

I love how this forum has become a breeding ground for arrogant noobs
rolleyes.gif
In answer to your question, gamerjr, although there is no confirmation at the moment, we're 99% sure that you need a 3DS to play 3DS games. It would be like trying to play a DS game on a GBA
smile.gif
. The 3DS is a successor to the DS franchise, not another revision
smile.gif
Noob used stupid question
Gbatemps members used flame
Gbatemp won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users