Hacking WiiU, WII, and NGC games all on one HDD progress?

oxitran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Disclaimer!!! this is a conversation about these methods only, and nobody should ever try following the stated methods below. ONLY EVER FOLLOW PROPER GUIDES!!!

As far as I can discern from reading through the threads from other users is that having a WiiU games on a WFS partition and vWii games on another partition on one HDD is not possible right now, so I have made this thread to kinda draw in some peoples knowledge on what we have right now and were things are going.

From what I read we have 3 methods. 2 currently working, and 1 not yet working:

-Working
1) Fat32 + Loadiine (not recommended)
Method includes
if you want to use WiiU games on FAT32, you need a lot of steps :

initial steps:
1. you need an existing WiiU formated HDD (not sure about this step, but I guess it's easier to know which file to move?)
2. use FTPiiU Everywhere or WUP Server to copy all the WiiU HDD content to SD or to your computer, (or to FAT32 USB but I think you can't have 2 USB at the same time)
3. on your FAT32 HDD, create a /usr/ folder
4. copy all your extracted wiiu content to the usr folder. if "usr" folder is present, Mocha will mount that folder as a fake WiiU HDD, using a very slow FAT32 driver from nintendo. (expect 10min load time with zelda)

Next steps are to be done per game:
5. use WUP installer to install the game to your console or to a WiiU formatted HDD (not the FAT32 HDD), so the console has the ticket
6. use FTPiiU everywhere or wup server again to extract the game file from the console to SD or computer
7. copy the game to the /usr/ folder
8. you can delete the game from the console using the official data manager menu (it will keep the ticket)
9. plug your HDD and run Mocha 0.3b to mount /usr/ as if it was your WiiU HDD

All these steps are required because Mocha does not properly set file permission on FAT32 yet, resulting in 0byte installed files when using WUP installer to FAT32 /usr/ folder.

Extracting the game with Cdecrypt, or JNUStool, or any other apps to get the /code/content/meta folder and copying them to FAT32 HDD without installing the game to the console first will not work, as the console will miss the game's ticket.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-wii-backups-and-wii-u-backups-on-one-hdd.465703/#post-7202516
pros)
-it works.​
cons)
-it's terribly slow due to the Fat32 driver used to read the games being slow (eg. 10 min loads on BOTW). This could possibly be fixed in the future, but not likely to happen anytime soon.
-it's tedious, requiring you to Wup install to console, FTP to PC, then move to folder on HDD.
2) Wup + NFS2ISO2NFS
Method includes formatting entire drive on the WiiU. You would then need to WUP install every game you wanted onto Wii U. You have to run all Wii and NGC iso's through WiiVC Injector Script (or be dependant on WiiU UsbHelper).
Download: WiiVC Injector Script v2.2.6

Changelog

Requirements:
  • Java 8 installed (Some tools rely on this)
  • Windows Vista/7/8.1/10
How to use:
  • Download the Injector Script from the top of the OP. All the tools it relies on are included.
  • Extract the ZIP to a folder
  • Place your game dump inside the SOURCE_FILES folder named the following:
    • game.gcm for GameCube Game
      • Use a 1:1 game dump for better compatibility
      • If you have a GameCube ISO just rename it to GCM
    • game.iso or game.wbfs for Wii Retail ISOs
      • If your WBFS is split, the correct naming convention is game.wbfs with game.wbf1 alongside it
    • boot.dol for Wii Homebrew
  • Place the following files inside the SOURCE_FILES folder
    • REQUIRED:
      • Icon file named iconTex.png OR iconTex.tga - Dimensions: 128x128
      • TV banner named bootTvTex.png OR bootTvTex.tga - Dimensions: 1280x720
    • OPTIONAL, AND NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING:
      • Boot sound named bootSound.wav OR bootSound.btsnd
      • 854x480 GamePad banner named bootDrcTex.png OR bootDrcTex.tga
      • 170x42 logo named bootLogoTex.png OR bootLogoTex.tga
      • (FOR GAMECUBE ONLY) Replacement Nintendont Forwarder named main.dol
  • Run the WiiVC Injector Script. The first time you run it you will be asked for the following:
    • Rhythm Heaven Fever Title Key (Find it on that one Title Key site, starts with 04EA)
    • Wii U Common Key (Google it, starts with D7B0)
  • You will be asked for information about your game:
    • Game Name (Don't use special characters like the Pokémon é or & and stuff)
    • Game Publisher (Don't use special characters like the Pokémon é or & and stuff)
    • (For Wii Retail Games Only) GamePad Controller emulation mode
      • No GamePad Controls, Real Wii Remotes only (Recommended)
      • Classic Controller Emulation (DOESN'T WORK WITH A LOT OF GAMES)
      • Wii Remote Emulation (IR & MOTION NOT SUPPORTED, PRETTY MUCH WORTHLESS)
  • (HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL, NOT RECOMMENDED) If you are injecting Wii Homebrew, you will be asked if you want to patch the title with cafe2wii to unlock the vWii's clock speed.
    • You will be asked for the Wii U Starbuck Ancast Key if it hasn't been previously provided or is wrong (Google it, starts with B5D8)
    • The resulting title WILL need to be installed to NAND to run, not USB
    • You will need to launch sign_cfw_patcher before you can run your title
  • A random 4-digit number will be used to modify the Title ID, you can specify one optionally if you wish (Not recommended) - Title ID Structure: 0005000000XXXXFF (Must be Hex values 0-F)
    • The end of every Title ID generated by this script has been modified so that it can not overwrite any system title
  • If you provided a custom bootSound.wav file, you can choose if you want it to loop
  • The script will go through a lot of steps to pack the game based on the information provided
  • Complete! The script will tell you the directory of your packed game, and you can install it with WUP Installer GX2 (YOU MUST USE SIG PATCHES TO INSTALL AND LAUNCH YOUR GAME)!
Thanks to all who made the tools necessary for this to be possible! Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Troubleshooting Tips:
  • Robocopy fail errors: If you get errors about Robocopy failing to create the working directory, either you are using an OS that doesn't include Robocopy (Windows XP) or JNUSTool failed to run properly. Make sure your OS supports Robocopy (Windows Vista and higher), also try uninstalling Java COMPLETELY and re-installing Java 8 from https://java.com. Post the logs here if you continue to have issues
  • Invalid PNG errors: If you get errors about your PNG files being invalid, open them in MS Paint, GIMP or a photo editor of choice and re-save them as valid PNG files. YOU CAN NOT JUST RENAME JPG FILES TO PNG AND EXPECT THEM TO WORK.
  • IOS58 errors: If you get IOS58 errors or a blank screen when trying to boot your game, make sure your Nintendont build is up to date. Download the latest version from its GitHub.
  • Minimum file requirements not met: Post the logs in the forum so we can determine where the script failed and why. The logs are log.txt and errorlog.txt
Background: Thanks to many people, injecting GameCube games, Wii games, and Wii Homebrew into the Wii U VC is now possible! However, it's a very long manual labor process. This script aims to simplify the process.

What this tool does: This tool will take a GameCube Game (GCM File), Wii Game (ISO or WBFS File), or Wii Homebrew (DOL File) you've provided and export a fully packaged installer ready to go with WUP Installer GX2!

Credits:
c2w_patcher 1.1:
FIX94
HomeBrew ISO Base: FIX94 & Ploggy
JNUSTool 0.3b: Maschell
Nintendont Autoboot Forwarder 1.2: FIX94
nfs2iso2nfs 0.5.5: piratesephiroth, FIX94, and SO many more people
NUSPacker: timogus & ihaveamac
pngcheck: Alexander Lehmann, Andreas Dilger, Greg Roelofs
PNG to TGA 2.6: Easy2Convert Software
SoX 14.4.2: cbagwell, robs, & uklauer
TGA to PNG 2.6: Easy2Convert Software
wav2btsnd 0.2: timogus & Zarklord
wbfs_file 2.6: oggzee & kwiirk
Wiimms ISO Tools 3.00a: Wiimms

http://ftp.gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/
pros)
-all games on WiiU home screen.
-do not have to deal with vWii modding.​
cons)
-300 WiiU menu icon limit is hardcoded into the WiiU, probably won't ever be fixed.
-requires games to be converted manually, or else you are at the mercy of games that show up on WiiU USB Helper.
-game convertions realistically need external assets to build decent looking WiiU menu icons, which is tedious to do manually. (A scraper of these assets autopmatically, either from an external database or from the disc's files themselves, with a GUI to assits this would be a huge help).
-no real GUI, although the program is very user friendly.
to help) https://gbatemp.net/threads/banners-icon-templates-for-wii-vc.483080/ This thread features templates and user submitted extras for WiiVC Injector Script.

-Not working
3) WUP + Fat32 + Ustealth

Method would be to format drive into 2 partitions on PC, one Fat32 for vWii, one left open for WiiU format. Ustealth to hide Fat 32 partition. Format visible partition on WiiU. Wup install for WiiU partition and use pc for vWii partition.
pros)
-full compatibility more or less perfect.
-existing collections would work fine.
-all the features of the WiiU and of vWii.​
cons)
-It's not working yet, and may never be possible.
-Cumbersome. Would require you to use a PC tool to swap between usable partitions.
Needs) Mocha CFW to read wfs and vWii separate partitions on one drive, and a way to format only the wfs partition. (As far as I'm aware the WiiU does not allow wfs format to visible partition exclusively, maybe mocha could allow this, or have a way to do this on PC, or have a wfs drive emulation through Fat 32 partition like wbfs folder on Wii).

Things that would help us:
- A wfs manager with GUI. (Method 1+2)
- A WiiVC Injector Script GUI. (Method 2)
- A Scraper for WiiVC Injector Script exrta files. (Method 2)

PS: Just a little thread to try and get to grips and consolidate some info on this. As apart from Haxchi I feel this is the last frontier for the WiiU. Please comment about any and all inaccuracies I may have in the thread so I can fix them immediately.

Edited:
To add that method 2 does work via WiiVC Injector Script (which has nfs2iso2nfs incorporated into it, and amend that nfs2iso2nfs does in fact work). To add the link to WiiVC Injector Script template and sharing thread. To add 300 limit to method cons.

Last edited by oxitran,
Reactions: Deleted User

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread is full of facts that are just plain wrong or are out of date. Especially the second part which as sabykos has already said works. GC games are 99.99% compatible only one game can' b pl and that was the Pinball hybrid game that used the GC microphone to control the game (Can' f the life of me remember what it was called something like odama??) also GC games run through nintendont which is not an emulator like you claim.

Reactions: oxitran

oxitran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This thread is full of facts that are just plain wrong or are out of date. Especially the second part which as sabykos has already said works. GC games are 99.99% compatible only one game can' b pl and that was the Pinball hybrid game that used the GC microphone to control the game (Can' f the life of me remember what it was called something like odama??) also GC games run through nintendont which is not an emulator like you claim.

That's why I want comments like this, so I can fix things that are wrong. I'm currently looking further into NFS2ISO2NFS so I can correct things in the original post. I wasn't aware that through this method the GC games were played through Nintendont, I had assumed they were but wasn't 100% on it. I thus was unsure of the compatibility, I will amend this.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yeah its called odama :P and can only be played on the wii with gc ports abd mc slots since nintendont needs the gc microphone connected, sames goes for all gba connectivity wich needs a wii with gc ports.

ALSO OP
loaddine plus fat32? that shouldnt even be an option ..., loadiine is outdated and sucks, you can now have a fat32 hdd and a wiiu formated one connected at the same time for awhile so method1 shouldnt even exist since loaddine is useless now.(not to mention compatibility issues, long ass loading times and such it has).

basicaly nintendont has 100% compat on vwii except odama wich needs a microphone, and all gba connectivity extra stuff wont work on vwii or wiivc inject

there is 2 methods to play gc games on wiiu

method 1 vwii
you can use sd,fat32hdd and even have or not a wiiu formated hdd connected it doesnt matter now.

method 2 wiivc inject
no fat32 usb acess on wii vc injects
so you can install the game directly into your inject so it would install on your wiiu formated hdd, or simply load isos from sd card.

oxitran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah its called odama :P and can only be played on the wii with gc ports abd mc slots since nintendont needs the gc microphone connected, sames goes for all gba connectivity wich needs a wii with gc ports.

ALSO OP
loaddine plus fat32? that shouldnt even be an option ..., loadiine is outdated and sucks, you can now have a fat32 hdd and a wiiu formated one connected at the same time for awhile so method1 shouldnt even exist since loaddine is useless now.(not to mention compatibility issues, long ass loading times and such it has).

basicaly nintendont has 100% compat on vwii except odama wich needs a microphone, and all gba connectivity extra stuff wont work on vwii or wiivc inject

there is 2 methods to play gc games on wiiu

method 1 vwii
you can use sd,fat32hdd and even have or not a wiiu formated hdd connected it doesnt matter now.

method 2 wiivc inject
no fat32 usb acess on wii vc injects
so you can install the game directly into your inject so it would install on your wiiu formated hdd, or simply load isos from sd card.

The WiiU has 4 usb ports, each HDD requires 2 USB ports (most likely scenario), WiiU usb to ethernet adaptor requires 1 USB port, WiiU gamepad pro requires 1 USB port. So yes, you could have two HDD connected for both WiiU and vWii but it won't be practical for a large portion of people.

I had method 1 as an option because it is just that, an option, not one I would recommend though.

But to get back to the point, the whole reason for this thread was to talk about where we are now in terms of options for people who want their WiiU, Wii, and GC games all on one HDD, not on two separate HDD (We all know how to do that).

As for nintendont compatibility, I wouldn't call it 100%, not even 99%, emulation inaccuracies are counted in game compatibility, and Nintendont has a lot of inaccuracies still.

Last edited by oxitran,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The WiiU has 4 usb ports, each HDD requires 2 USB ports (most likely scenario), WiiU usb to ethernet adaptor requires 1 USB port, WiiU gamepad pro requires 1 USB port. So yes, you could have two HDD connected for both WiiU and vWii but it won't be practical for a large portion of people.

I had method 1 as an option because it is just that, an option, not one I would recommend though.

But to get back to the point, the whole reason for this thread was to talk about where we are now in terms of options for people who want their WiiU, Wii, and GC games all on one HDD, not on two separate HDD (We all know how to do that).

As for nintendont compatibility, I wouldn't call it 100%, not even 99%, emulation inaccuracies are counted in game compatibility, and Nintendont has a lot of inaccuracies still.
if your hddsare self powered like mine you can use both hdds with 2 ports and connect them to wall sockets like mines do :P
not to mention you dont actualy need a lan dapter since most people just use wiiu wifi.

also wiiu gamepad requires 1 usb port? lol what? only hid controllers require usb ports every wireless controller requires noone

no usb ports needed for wiimot+nunchuc,wiimote+CC,wiimote+ccpro,wiiupro or wiiu gamepad.

you need 2 usb ports for wiiu gc adapter but then again people dont need everything connected all the time to justify dealing with loadiine lol

Reactions: Billy Acuña

wolf_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your hddsare self powered like mine you can use both hdds with 2 ports and connect them to wall sockets like mines do :P
not to mention you dont actualy need a lan dapter since most people just use wiiu wifi.

also wiiu gamepad requires 1 usb port? lol what? only hid controllers require usb ports every wireless controller requires noone

no usb ports needed for wiimot+nunchuc,wiimote+CC,wiimote+ccpro,wiiupro or wiiu gamepad.

you need 2 usb ports for wiiu gc adapter but then again people dont need everything connected all the time to justify dealing with loadiine lol
I think he might have meant Wii u pro controller to charge that's the only thing i can think of but then again it will charge on any usb port from any device at least for me it does

oxitran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Sorry I did mean the WiiU pro controller, screwed the name up as I have been looking into Wii Classic controller limited variants, and well we all know Nintendo isn't great at differentiating their products by name so I mess em up from time to time.

I agree that you don't need everything connected all the time just to justify not dealing with loadiine but a lot of people would prefer not to 1) deal with the hassle of swapping usbs all every time, 2) have to connect two HDD's at the same time (especially those of use with HDD that require the extra power slot), 3) I forgot about the gamecube adapter, that was one of the bigger ones I wanted to mention but forgot to as it uses 2 usb ports also, 4) and some people swear off wifi for gaming (I'm fine with it, but others can't be convinced).

Those in your situation do not really need to worry about slots having the issue of power taken care of externally, but I think that you are in the minority.

I think he might have meant Wii u pro controller to charge that's the only thing i can think of but then again it will charge on any usb port from any device at least for me it does

Thanks, I did mean the pro controller. But, oddly mine will only ever charge from my WiiU.

wolf_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I did mean the WiiU pro controller, screwed the name up as I have been looking into Wii Classic controller limited variants, and well we all know Nintendo isn't great at differentiating their products by name so I mess em up from time to time.

I agree that you don't need everything connected all the time just to justify not dealing with loadiine but a lot of people would prefer not to 1) deal with the hassle of swapping usbs all every time, 2) have to connect two HDD's at the same time (especially those of use with HDD that require the extra power slot), 3) I forgot about the gamecube adapter, that was one of the bigger ones I wanted to mention but forgot to as it uses 2 usb ports also, 4) and some people swear off wifi for gaming (I'm fine with it, but others can't be convinced).

Those in your situation do not really need to worry about slots having the issue of power taken care of externally, but I think that you are in the minority.

Thanks, I did mean the pro controller. But, oddly mine will only ever charge from my WiiU.
Hmm weird mine charges from our dvr box my TV and ps3 and Xbox one

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

wiiu pro charges from any usb plugged in, it just the led only lights up on wiiu but if you connect it to pc or ps3 or whatever it will charge with the led off aswhell.

oxitran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm weird mine charges from our dvr box my TV and ps3 and Xbox one
wiiu pro charges from any usb plugged in, it just the led only lights up on wiiu but if you connect it to pc or ps3 or whatever it will charge with the led off aswhell.

Oh thanks, I guess it does then. I'll leave it in my pc and check it if does charge overnight, if not then I guess I might have a faulty one or a fake one :/ hopefully not.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another Con for method #2 is that all your games (Wii U, Wii, and GC) would count toward the Wii U's 300 game limit. Maybe that's ok for some people, but the major advantage to method #3 (if/when it works) is being able to take one large 2TB+ hard drive and store a massive collection of all your games on it, which could very easily exceed 300 games.

oxitran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Another Con for method #2 is that all your games (Wii U, Wii, and GC) would count toward the Wii U's 300 game limit. Maybe that's ok for some people, but the major advantage to method #3 (if/when it works) is being able to take one large 2TB+ hard drive and store a massive collection of all your games on it, which could very easily exceed 300 games.

Is this limit hardcoded in right? Not even folders can help bypass it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__