OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Today I received my Wiikey from cheapmod (official reseller).

To my surprise I saw that the chip is an ATMEGA8L !!!

Remember this chip? The same is used for the open source Chiip.

Also, the Wiip, another open source modchip, is based on AT90S2313 which has more or less the same functions.

What all these means?

That if you have the slightest experience with electronics, go for open source modchips, since they have more frequent updates and because whatever features the Wiikey has, the open source modchips can certainly have them in the near future since they are based on the same chip.

The funny thing is that I've built the Wiip several days ago, but wanted to try this Wiikey because everyone said that it is the best of the best.....

Since Wiikey is an ATMEGA8L, it is just a matter of time to dump its code and use it to the open source modchips.

I feel I wasted my money......

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you try dumping it, fit lift the chip then put it in a compatible programmer, easy part, now unprotect it
biggrin.gif

also about the wiikey fakes, why wouldnt they update if they used same components? and they wud have a byte to byte DUPLICATE of the chip

panther_512

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
you try dumping it, fit lift the chip then put it in a compatible programmer, easy part, now unprotect it
biggrin.gif

also about the wiikey fakes, why wouldnt they update if they used same components? and they wud have a byte to byte DUPLICATE of the chip

I don't know what's happening with the fakes, but my point is that the famous Wiikey component-wise is identical to Chiip and almost the same with Wiip.

It's just the same chip on a different PCB. The only difference is in the code.

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lol~ this is no different then the whole wiinja thing..wherever went...oh its just a PIC...we can all just dump the code :DDDD

and here we are now...a few months after its release...where are all those guys that say they will release the code...XD

no offense but its not as simple as you think dumping code from a chip because when you compile and flash the code...it won't be in the same language its written in.

Soybomb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
That if you have the slightest experience with electronics, go for open source modchips, since they have more frequent updates and because whatever features the Wiikey has, the open source modchips can certainly have them in the near future since they are based on the same chip.
Meh to each his own, the wiikey allows me to play backups and imports with ease now and no waiting on the community to finish the next code revision so I can reprogram. I figure the wiikey's days are numbered anyway and within 6 months we'll all be putting in different chips that allow us to do wii homebrew. I'll take low hassle working out of the box now until "the real thing" is ready. Ymmv.

marlin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you very much for this post. I was about to buy a Wiikey. Now i know it's just the same crap of all the others...

They won't see my money. Chiip, here i go!

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it won't be in the same language its written in.

Eh? That's what a disassembler is for... You write in assembly for mcu's unless you want to waste the tiny bit of code and work memory you have.
And to be honest .. if you dumped the eprom or flash from the wiinja why would you need to "compile" it? you'd just burn it to another PIC....

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm, so you expect each modchip company to produce their own microcontroller? Of COURSE you're going to use off-the-shelf components for things like flash memory!

For example, the most popular Xbox modchip, the Xecuter2 series, used a standard flash memory chip; you could just as easily use the same chip for a "cheapmod."

You're paying for code (Wiikey has the best code for any retail or homebrew at this time) and support. Not the physical part...

panther_512

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
lol~ this is no different then the whole wiinja thing..wherever went...oh its just a PIC...we can all just dump the code :DDDD

and here we are now...a few months after its release...where are all those guys that say they will release the code...XD

no offense but its not as simple as you think dumping code from a chip because when you compile and flash the code...it won't be in the same language its written in.

LOL!!!!! No offense but I am professional electronics Engineer for the last 10 years. Programming microcontrollers is my job.

The Wiinja code has been released many days ago, reassembled.

Of course it's a little difficult to reverse engineer the reassembled code but it's nothing impossible. But you can use the released code as it is make now a Wiinja clone with 5 bucks.

What I am telling and you didn't understand is that it's only a matter of time for someone to use a logic analyser, take the Wiikey code, reassemble it and modify it for opensource modchips.

Bottom end, you can expect the open source modchips to surpass the commercial ones very very fast...

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

LOL!!!!! No offense but I am professional electronics Engineer for the last 10 years. Programming microcontrollers is my job.

The Wiinja code has been released many days ago, reassembled.

Of course it's a little difficult to reverse engineer the reassembled code but it's nothing impossible. But you can use the released code as it is make now a Wiinja clone with 5 bucks.

What I am telling and you didn't understand is that it's only a matter of time for someone to use a logic analyser, take the Wiikey code, reassemble it and modify it for opensource modchips.

Bottom end, you can expect the open source modchips to surpass the commercial ones very very fast...

Not that I am judging your skills, put your skill where your mouth is and make it then. There are lots of things that are " a little difficult" and "not impossible". The wiinja dump, as I understand it, is the V1 code. (I am sorry, I really don't know if this is the case or not).

Unless you have access to all the tools and equipment already, unprotecting a PIC is not an easy task. As for the wiikey code, I would imagine the same thing. Yea it is true that you can reverse engineer microcontrolllers using logic analyzers but please get back to us when you are done
biggrin.gif
bow.gif

I don't have as much experience as a 10 year professional electrical engineer, but as a electrical engineer student, I know fully that its "possible" technically. And as a forum member for the past 4 months with the whole "I WILL RELEASE WIINJA CODE" ... it will never happen because like you said~ the open source is soooo much better, why waste the time?
rolleyes.gif

panther_512

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
You refuse to understand the meaning of what I am saying.

I don't have the time or the logic analyser to dump the code. And I don't have the patience to explore the reassembled version of the dump even if I had it infront of me.

But there are many others who have the equipment, the patience and the skills to do it.

But, what I am really saying is that Wiikey is exactly the same thing component-wise with the Chiip and Wiip, meaning that even if there is no dump of Wiikey's code, the opensource programmers can make the open source modchips to have the same or better features with Wiikey, since the microcontrollers are exactly the same.

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well~ that wasn't what you said in the beginning ~ but no matter ^^~

I agree that the homebrew chips have the potential to do more then the wiikey, but someone extracting the wiikey code will probably not happen and is not as easy u make it sound. I am not defending wiikey, I said the same thing to those guys who said "lets just dump wiinja code"..

So with that said, maybe our conversation here have inspired someone to go and do it
biggrin.gif

wii_ownz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the reason for clones not updating properly is simply due to flawed code in the chip.

when the setup disc provided by wiikey is used, we're essentially not reprogramming the whole chip, we are just writing bits of information to the chip. with clones, the code inside the chip is different and thus can have a weird issues.

just keep in mind that we are no way programming the entire chip with the setup disc to enable multiregion compatibility.

panther_512

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
I think the reason for clones not updating properly is simply due to flawed code in the chip.

when the setup disc provided by wiikey is used, we're essentially not reprogramming the whole chip, we are just writing bits of information to the chip. with clones, the code inside the chip is different and thus can have a weird issues.

just keep in mind that we are no way programming the entire chip with the setup disc to enable multiregion compatibility.

To add to what you said:

With the Wiikey setup disk we don't write/program anything on the chip. There are already these settings in the code of Wiikey. It just changes a few values on ATMEGA8L's EEPROM depending on what we select on the setup disk.

It doesn't change anything on the main code which is located in the Flash memory.

atka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You refuse to understand the meaning of what I am saying.

I don't have the time or the logic analyser to dump the code. And I don't have the patience to explore the reassembled version of the dump even if I had it infront of me.

But there are many others who have the equipment, the patience and the skills to do it.

But, what I am really saying is that Wiikey is exactly the same thing component-wise with the Chiip and Wiip, meaning that even if there is no dump of Wiikey's code, the opensource programmers can make the open source modchips to have the same or better features with Wiikey, since the microcontrollers are exactly the same.

Sorry I had a look at the datasheet and you would need one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1