Hacking WiiFlow Lite

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The only non-essential thing you can remove is the disc drive. The Bluetooth module and the Wi-Fi are both needed without software modifications to the Wii. You can play GameCube games through Nintendont without a disc drive, but playing Wii games without a disc drive requires use of emuNAND to emulate parts of the drive in software.

Since you're working on portablization, you would benefit from using a package called "portablizemii" available at BitBuilt.net. It offers a software solution that removes the need for the Wi-Fi module and disc drive (Bluetooth is still needed) and it makes Wii and GameCube games very easy to play with an all-in-one interface.
@dishe

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need something else to stick in Priiloader that launches WiiFlow's forwarder at startup. What is the forwarder's title ID? DWFA?

Try this... :P

Attachments

• dwfaboot.zip
    52.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by GreyWolf,
Reactions: einsteinx2

dishe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funnily enough i'm using the sourceflow to start wiixplorer in the same way and its working fine with the new build. Let me check ...
[BUTTON_2]
source=homebrew
autoboot=wiixplorer
image=wiixplorer.png
title=WiiXplorer

I have a blank source menu button after, I dont know when or why that's become needed, used it after I had problems and saw someone else doing it...

[BUTTON_3]
image=
image_s=
title=
source=
magic=
emuflow=

If i remember, you have to be careful about having every numerical slot filled - no blanks - and the last number the blank.
@einsteinx2 I have that picture facing the door in my hallway when you walk in. Seriously, I love that photo!

Thanks- that's the strangest thing. It seems that it just ignores the last one on the list. When I had only 2 options, it only showed the first one. Today when I was experimenting with this and trying to figure out why it was skipping the second one, I made a third option (a SNES plugin source), and now it properly shows the first two, and skips the third. Since I only wanted the first 2 anyway, I just left it as is. Now you're saying that you need a blank last one, which suddenly makes it all make sense in a bizarre way. Weird that whatever goes last is blank. In WiiFlow it definitely did NOT need this, as my source menu code was working fine there. Its just in LITE that it doesn't.
Strange- thanks for clearing up that I'm not crazy! :)

Reactions: kaisersozeh

Jochte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone really care about the jpg support in wiiflow? i mean before it everything was png and png is lossless and includes transparency and just as good as jpg. i could easily remove the jpg support and then i wouldn't even need tubojpeg lib. except i would have to also remove the thp videos support since it uses turbojpeg as well but again thats something most people don't use.

I am a big fan of thp video support and use it extensively --

dishe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only non-essential thing you can remove is the disc drive. The Bluetooth module and the Wi-Fi are both needed without software modifications to the Wii. You can play GameCube games through Nintendont without a disc drive, but playing Wii games without a disc drive requires use of emuNAND to emulate parts of the drive in software.

Since you're working on portablization, you would benefit from using a package called "portablizemii" available at BitBuilt.net. It offers a software solution that removes the need for the Wi-Fi module and disc drive (Bluetooth is still needed) and it makes Wii and GameCube games very easy to play with an all-in-one interface.
@dishe
I saw the portablizemii project and even reached out to the dev that was working on the software UI to pick his brain about my car installation idea. Its cool, I like his concept and was especially inspired by his hardware modifications. That's way too much for my needs, I fit the wii into a cavity under my car's seat, so there's no need to actually take the guts out and put it inside of something else, as much as I considered doing that for my installation (would be super cool to replace my car's DVD player unit with the guts of a Wii, but I'd totally screw it up if I tried to break down the circuit boards- LOL).

Meanwhile, his software UI was a great example of how efficiently you can get around without a sensor bar. But honestly, it wasn't all that user friendly. Remember, my goal isn't to "have a wii in my car", but to use the wii hardware as an alternative to a media player / retro gaming setup, sort of like a Raspberry Pi. Part of why I wanted all the game sources on a single menu is so that the passengers don't have to remember if a particular title is a wii game, snes game, VC game, Genesis game, etc. It should just be games, videos, etc. The portabalization project isn't about being user friendly like that, it is all about the geeky awesomeness of the project, and as such the UI is designed to be a little more complex.

For what I'm doing, WiiFlow (and actually WiiFlow Lite in particular) is truly the best option. I'm really happy with how it has been coming out.

But I appreciate the slightly off topic shout out (maybe next time PM me tho).

Last edited by dishe,

einsteinx2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
You need something else to stick in Priiloader that launches WiiFlow's forwarder at startup. What is the forwarder's title ID? DWFA?

Try this... :P
I tried installing it using Priiloader and setting it as autoboot, but unfortunately it just hangs at a black screen and I have to long press the power button to shut down.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa how'd you get it to compile? I've replaced libfat and libivorbisdec and the only issue I have left is with libturbojpeg. Specifically undefined reference to `__ctype_ptr__'

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm using the latest devkitpro ppc kit with presumably the latest libogc as I just installed everything yesterday. I fixed a ton of compiler errors, almost all of them were implicit casts with a few that I think are macOS specific (needed to add #define _GNU_SOURCE to the tops of those files). Then I was down to just linker errors, but after finding replacement fat and vorbis libs from other Wii projects, I'm now left only with the turbojpeg lib linker error.
Same here. Thats why i went back to the old libs and used r28 and libogc 1.8. 15-1. But kept all the source fixes that i had done. If anyone can compile a new libturbojpeg that would be great otherwise to compile with r29 i will have to remove all the jpeg code from wiiflow and use png for all images.

edit: after a little more testing i do now have 1 problem.
a source menu btn isn't displaying correctly. it may be corrupted or something. will try fixing it.
but later. i do have a job bummer.

Last edited by fledge68,

einsteinx2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Haha yeah those damn jobs always getting in the way :)

I'm heading out for a vacation tomorrow morning and won't be back until Wednesday, so I'll have to wait to keep playing with this. In the meantime though, this morning I tried downgrading devkitPPC and libogc to the versions you used and was able to compile and run without crashing. So it looks like the crash I got was some kind of incompatibility with the newer libraries or possibly with the replacement portlibs I used. Not sure it's worth actually trying to get it compiling with the latest versions, unless there's some real tangible benefits there.

Anyway now I can actually try tweaking things and see if the changes actually show, as I'm still totally confused by the apparent caching that's going on. I spent last night reading Wii homebrew docs and I don't see anything that indicates why it's behaving the way it is. At least now I can make obvious changes like setting all the game titles to my name or whatever to make sure it's using my build.

EDIT: MYSTERY SOLVED!! So I made another build with the GC sound loading code commented out of source/menu/menu_game.cpp, specifically lines 2064 to 2067. I confirmed with 100% certainty that it's using my build because in the exit menu it says version r1137. Yet it still played that damn GC sound! Then I realized something... The other day, I downloaded all of the custom GC banners. What if the banners included the sound and my hex patch actually was working? BINGO! I removed the custom banners, ran my custom build with the commented out code, and boom, no more sound haha. Finally! At least now I know it's not some weird caching thing or something else I don't understand, it was just playing the sounds from the banners /facepalm. So now I guess I'll need to edit all the banner files to remove them, but at least I know what's going on now!

Ok so now I can compile successfully, have confirmed that modifications I make work on the console, now I can start contributing! If only I didn't have this damn vacation :P

See you guys next week!

EDIT: I pushed my modifications to GitHub (sorry I'm useless with SVN). Note that I have a commit which removes the GC sound, and the compiled boot.dol file in the out folder includes that change if you want to try it out. Here's the repo: https://github.com/einsteinx2/wiiflow-lite

WiiFlow Lite Compilation notes High Sierra (also included in a readme in the repo):

1. Install devkitpro ppc
2. Add /opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC/bin to your PATH
3. Download devkitPPC v28 and replace the installed devkitPPC with it (best to create versioned directories and symlink)
4. Download libogc-1.8.15-1 and replace the installed libogc with it (best to create versioned directories and symlink)
5. Install libsicksaxis (clone https://github.com/xerpi/libsicksaxis, make, make install)
6. Use homebrew to install GNU coreutils: brew install core-utils
7. Add GNU's utils to PATH so that they override the included BSD versions (mostly needed for mv -u I think): PATH="$(brew --prefix coreutils)/libexec/gnubin":$PATH
8. Fix all of the compilation errors (mostly implicit conversions or needing to #define _GNU_SOURCE at the top, see my git repo here: https://github.com/einsteinx2/wiiflow-lite)
9. Build WiiFlow Lite! (Just run make)

Last edited by einsteinx2,

einsteinx2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Lol the custom gc banners included the sound. Glad you figured it out.

As for pushing to github please make sure everyone knows its not the official wiiflow lite. But your mod of it. Thanks.

Haha yeah I knew it had to be something simple, I somehow never thought to check the banners!

And no worries about the repo, the description of the GitHub repo says it’s my personal changes and includes a link to the original repo. I’ll make my changes in my repo and then you can merge them in if you like them. If we diverge too much I’ll probably just rename mine to something like WiiFlow Lite Einstein Mod or something to make it really explicit.

Reactions: fledge68

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am a big fan of thp video support and use it extensively --
Can i ask how you use it, (& where you sourced the media? (PM me bro!))

I saw the portablizemii project and even reached out to the dev that was working on the software UI to pick his brain about my car installation idea. Its cool, I like his concept and was especially inspired by his hardware modifications. That's way too much for my needs, I fit the wii into a cavity under my car's seat, so there's no need to actually take the guts out and put it inside of something else, as much as I considered doing that for my installation (would be super cool to replace my car's DVD player unit with the guts of a Wii, but I'd totally screw it up if I tried to break down the circuit boards- LOL).

Meanwhile, his software UI was a great example of how efficiently you can get around without a sensor bar. But honestly, it wasn't all that user friendly. Remember, my goal isn't to "have a wii in my car", but to use the wii hardware as an alternative to a media player / retro gaming setup, sort of like a Raspberry Pi. Part of why I wanted all the game sources on a single menu is so that the passengers don't have to remember if a particular title is a wii game, snes game, VC game, Genesis game, etc. It should just be games, videos, etc. The portabalization project isn't about being user friendly like that, it is all about the geeky awesomeness of the project, and as such the UI is designed to be a little more complex.

For what I'm doing, WiiFlow (and actually WiiFlow Lite in particular) is truly the best option. I'm really happy with how it has been coming out.

But I appreciate the slightly off topic shout out (maybe next time PM me tho).
I get it, i thought wiiflow users generally could use it, I didn't know you knew of it, and suspected you could use the info contained within. The fact you already have was unknown to me at the time of posting. You're welcome :)

Same here. Thats why i went back to the old libs and used r28 and libogc 1.8. 15-1. But kept all the source fixes that i had done. If anyone can compile a new libturbojpeg that would be great otherwise to compile with r29 i will have to remove all the jpeg code from wiiflow and use png for all images.

edit: after a little more testing i do now have 1 problem.
a source menu btn isn't displaying correctly. it may be corrupted or something. will try fixing it.
but later. i do have a job bummer.
Last time - your OS - is it 32 bit? Did you use the recently updated 2.x devkitpro updater? Thanks!

einsteinx2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'm also interested in how you use the thp video support. Is it something like gameplay previews in the banner area or something? One of my favorite features in EmulationStation on my RetroPie setup is when I scroll to a game it shows the game cover and then fades to a gameplay video. It would be cool if I could select a GameCube game and have it show a gameplay video or something in the banner area. But maybe I'm way off base with how you're using it.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can i ask how you use it, (& where you sourced the media? (PM me bro!))

I get it, i thought wiiflow users generally could use it, I didn't know you knew of it, and suspected you could use the info contained within. The fact you already have was unknown to me at the time of posting. You're welcome :)

Last time - your OS - is it 32 bit? Did you use the recently updated 2.x devkitpro updater? Thanks!
i have windows 10 64bit

Jochte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the Windows THP converter : https://sites.google.com/site/wiiflowiki4/trailers
Made game trailers that I wanted using gameplay videos from youtube as avi files. The thp converter program then converts my .avi to .thp. Then after properly placing the .thp on usb or sd we can select the game in wiiflow lite and view the trailer full screen by pressing "-" on the controller. My personal preference is 15 sec videos but they can be as long or short as you want depending on how much USB or SD space you want to devote to them.

Last edited by Jochte,

einsteinx2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I used the Windows THP converter : https://sites.google.com/site/wiiflowiki4/trailers
Made game trailers that I wanted using gameplay videos from youtube as avi files. The thp converter program then converts my .avi to .thp. Then after properly placing the .thp on usb or sd we can select the game in wiiflow lite and view the trailer full screen by pressing "-" on the controller. My personal preference is 15 sec videos but they can be as long or short as you want depending on how much USB or SD space you want to devote to them.
That's exactly what I'm looking for to match my EmulationStation setup! Awesome!!!!

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Great explanation, and very cool! You just name them with the filename and extension, like covers - is this just for wii games or emulators or anything?
Also, as you've already put loads of work in, would you mind sharing alongside masters shoes cover thread? It might encourage people to share their stuff, even generate more content......that's how it's gone with covers...
Nice one, anyway! Got a YouTube of your setup?

Last edited by kaisersozeh,
Reactions: einsteinx2

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@FIX94 hey I'm trying to get wiiflow lite to compile with ppc r29 and the latest libogc but it won't because of libturbojpeg. could you please please please compile a new version of libturbojpeg or at least tell me where to get it or how i compile it to work with wiiflow? it would be much appreciated.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: there was a "HD" redrawn version of :creep: someone made at one point but i didnt save it