Wii won't display in 480p

90sfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to run my soft modded rvl-001 in 480p. I was able to get this to work with wii2hdmi I while back l, but now I can't. I tried 3 wii2hdmi adapters, as well as a component to hdmi device. I have the Wii setup in 480p when switching the yellow and green cords around. Doing this gives me a black and white screen.

When using a Wii2Hdmi adapter, bootmii and priiloader work most times. I don't have much luck from there. I can get the Wii main menu to display, then it disappears with sound or, as most times yields no signal. When I hit the home button, the screen appears again. Homebrew generally yields no signal as well. When I use a component to hdmi device, I generally don't get a signal at all.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have the Wii setup in 480p when switching the yellow and green cords around. Doing this gives me a black and white screen.
That's because the Green Cable carries Luma, and it's normal that it produces a Black&White picture. The same happens if you plug the Green Component to a Composite input.

When using a Wii2Hdmi adapter, bootmii and priiloader work most times. I don't have much luck from there. I can get the Wii main menu to display, then it disappears with sound or, as most times yields no signal.
This might be because your TV/Display/Monitor is not compatible with 480p, or your TV/Display/Monitor can't scale properly 480p.
Some menus in-game and in-console differs in resolution which might affect how the TV/Display/Monitor renders it. If the signal is incompatible it just outputs a black screen.

When I use a component to hdmi device, I generally don't get a signal at all.
It might also be a converter issue where it's failing to convert Analog to Digital.
The same applies to TV/Display/Monitors, not all has the Analog to Digital converter.

Try using another TV/Display/Monitor.

90sfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took your advice and tried just about every other TV in the house. Got the same results from before every time.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I took your advice and tried just about every other TV in the house. Got the same results from before every time.
Have you tried to time your Wii2HDMI black screens?
All I can think off now is a hardware failure, maybe in your adapters there's a component overheating, or maybe in your Wii.

Also, if your TV's are all 4K or beyond, it's very likely a scaling issue.
(assuming Wii and adapters are fine)

90sfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried to time your Wii2HDMI black screens?
All I can think off now is a hardware failure, maybe in your adapters there's a component overheating, or maybe in your Wii.

Also, if your TV's are all 4K or beyond, it's very likely a scaling issue.
(assuming Wii and adapters are fine)
What adapter would you recommend?

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What adapter would you recommend?
To be honest, it really depends on your TV/Display/Monitor.

If your TV's are incompatible with 480p resolutions, there's not much you can do regarding adapters.
There's a difference between adapting and converting signals.

If you really want to get it right, get a RetroTink or an OSSC.

I strongly suggest you to get an old FullHD TV and Component Cables (3rd party works fine) and you won't have to buy anything else.
I'm sure an old LCD/LED/PLASMA TV is cheaper than proper Converters.

Last edited by JuanMena,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wii2HDMI adapters for one are the worst to getting HD video, it fake upscales the video to get to its advertised resolution and makes the picture all smeary looking. Other alternatives which I've seen is the Wii Dual HDMI kit which does require hard modification to your Wii's mobo, this by far is a recommended solution in my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0