Hacking Wii Updates?

Celice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got the Twilight Princess save thing going and all that jazz, and therefore the Homebrew Channel. Now, is there going to be certain updates I should watch out for? And for what reasons (the only thing I can think of is Nintendo trying to remove data they know isn't their's). I was just wanting to know, before my brother decides to get his money back for the Zelda game.

samsam12

Test
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
currently there is nothing where nintendo can do anything bad, but there have been reports of the wiis wi-fi getting blocked by nintendo if any WAD channels are detected from the nintendo channel

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I doubt you'll need it again, but just in case something happens it's probably best to keep Twilight Princess. There's no other way of doing the hack on an un-modded Wii as far as I know. And there are no problems with updates at the moment.
Of course, next time you find a new update waiting on your Wii, check on the 'net before updating just in case. Otherwise, there's no problems with Nintendo blocking it so far.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Talking of updates, I have a question. Because of the possible threat of new Wii updates that could block this thing I have the Wiiconnect24 turned off all the time.
Now today I started the Homebrew Channel and it told me there was an update. Is the Homebrew Channel connecting to the internet automatically? And if so, can this cause problems in the future, in the "Big Brother Nintendo is watching you" way?

deba94

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The HBC does not use wiiconnect24. The blinking globe in the corner means the wii is connecting at the time the channel is open. You could consider it "automatic" since there is no way to turn it on/off, but right now and possibly for a while, there should not be a problem.

Btw, I never turned off my wiiconnect24 after installing wads/using homebrew and have gotten no problems at all
smile.gif

Celice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers guys--but my brother also has one more. He's wanting to insert some of his ROMs into some of the VC titles he's downloaded. But he's a tad lost on how to get a .wad file in the first place. Is that just the normal VC came, essentially, with a different extension (I figure considering the games are bundled with the manuals, emulator, and the like, people just gave them a name other than a generic file extension)?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
don't mess around with editing wads if you don't really know what you're doing.
it's much safer to run emulators and load the roms through them

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before the Wii came out, I thought the 24Connect was a good idea. The problem is, they haven't released any games that really utilize it to its full advantage.

I usually find that my lifestyle doesn't support it, either. Any time I'd be around to look at my Wii when it has a message or update, I just as easily have enough time to turn it on and use it. It's convinient for people who never turn their Wii on(which I believe is strictly limited to PS3 and XBOX360 owners), but I bet most people don't need it.

So, I keep 24Connect off. It keeps me from having to worry about them sneaking an update in and the processor stays cool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong