CrvyloOo

OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I flipped my Wii U on to make sure it still worked with all the recent news. Thankfully, it did. I noticed I had haxchi installed, and when I checked the firmware it said "99.99.99-U"
I did not have any other installed games, apps, or emulators. Just haxchi and the homebrew channel. I wanted to update what I had and install a few games, so I went to the wiiu.hacks.guide and downloaded the new HBC data and the prx and put them on my SD card, overwriting what was already on there. After putting my SD card back into my system, it would boot to the "Wii U menu" screen, then fade to black, and bring up the same screen. It seemed to cycle indefinitely until it just stopped at a black screen. I unsynced my Wii U pad by syncing it to another Wii U console, and this time when I turned on my Wii U, it loaded into the homebrew channel, which I am able to control with my Wii U Pro controller. However none of the available HBC options seem to help me, or they just do nothing. When I go to the home screen using my controller it tells me it does not identify a gamepad and to charge it. It does not give me an option to sync one. The system seems to think the Mii channel is what the suspended software is, and if I close it, I boot back into the homebrew channel. If I try to turn on my console without an SD card inserted, it just loads a black screen with "-3".
tl;dr, I think I may have screwed up something with haxchi when I should have just deleted it. I can boot into the homebrew channel, are there any HBC apps that will let me do a recovery?
Does anyone know what on earth happened, and if there's a way I can reverse it?

Last edited by CrvyloOo,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The very first thing I would try is to revert the files you overwrote with their backups.
After that uninstall CBHC and install Tiramisu, just like the guide told you to do.

//EDIT:
Does anyone know what on earth happened
This I can only guess but maybe you tried to use Tiramisus HBL on CBHC?

Also note that you're running CBHC, not Haxchi, else you could boot without an SD card.

Reactions: SDIO

CrvyloOo

OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It appears I did not back up my SD card before copying the new files. How very stupid of me.
So how can I boot to the regular home screen? I can't appear to do any uninstalling via the HBC that it keeps booting into.
And good to know, I assumed I was running haxchi since the button was on my home screen initially.
Since my Wii U loads right into the HBC, it's obviously not bricked. But is there an HBC app I can attempt to install/run to try and reverse whatever I did and get rid of CBHC?

Last edited by CrvyloOo,

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What happens if you press 'b' later in the startup (not to early or else you will boot into vWii)

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's probably not necessary, but I would feel a lot better if you just did a full nand backup: https://github.com/koolkdev/wiiu-nanddumper/releases/tag/v0.4 just in case we screw something up even more.

What I think you could do would be to get the CHBC installer from https://github.com/FIX94/haxchi/releases/tag/v2.5u2_v1.6 You should be able to launch it from the HBL. This should allow you to uninstall CHBC and your Wii U should boot to the Wii U Menu. Given that your Wii U menu is fine. It was working before you changed stuff on the SD, right?

But lets wait what @V10lator thinks of this.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What I think you could do would be to get the CHBC installer from https://github.com/FIX94/haxchi/releases/tag/v2.5u2_v1.6 You should be able to launch it from the HBL.
Thought so, too, but:
I can't appear to do any uninstalling via the HBC that it keeps booting into
...might be good to know why / what exactly doesn't work here.

Also @CrvyloOo the guide has multiple files for different CFWs, so which exactly did you put on your SD?

CrvyloOo

OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It's probably not necessary, but I would feel a lot better if you just did a full nand backup: https://github.com/koolkdev/wiiu-nanddumper/releases/tag/v0.4 just in case we screw something up even more.

What I think you could do would be to get the CHBC installer from https://github.com/FIX94/haxchi/releases/tag/v2.5u2_v1.6 You should be able to launch it from the HBL. This should allow you to uninstall CHBC and your Wii U should boot to the Wii U Menu. Given that your Wii U menu is fine. It was working before you changed stuff on the SD, right?

But lets wait what @V10lator thinks of this.

I probably should do a backup, and I will eventually haha.

I actually tried that a few times and it didn't work, the CHBC installer would just show a black screen every time, even after updating. I suspected this had to do with my not being able to use a gamepad.

HOWEVER! I managed to actually fix it myself thanks to helpful anons on 4chan's /hbg/. Using ftpiiu everywhere (took a couple tries to be allowed access to system folders) I was able to edit the "system.xml" file located in /storage_slc/config
I replaced the Brain Age ID "default_title_id type" with the regular USA System menu ID (0005001010040100). Rebooted and it went like normal. I appreciate all your effort, guys.

Thought so, too, but:

...might be good to know why / what exactly doesn't work here.

Also @CrvyloOo the guide has multiple files for different CFWs, so which exactly did you put on your SD?
It was just the "latest files from Tiramisu for your café." and "latest release of the Sigpatches Module." in the "What you Need" section after clicking "Continue to Tiramisu"
Post automatically merged:

I am now extremely scared to mess up uninstalling CBHC. the CBHC installer now works like normal when I access it from the HBC. However when I press B to uninstall it, it notices that the system.xml does not have Brain Age as default, and skips straight to flushing the NAND, it never says "removed coldboothax!"
I can tell it's not removed because I am still able to open the haxchi application then go into the HBC fine. The haxchi app never transformed back to "DON'T TOUCH ME!"
Is it safe to delete? Is there another step I should follow before moving forward with installing Tiramisu?

Last edited by CrvyloOo,

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You uninstalled CBHC by changing the cold boot title id in the system.xml. So you don't need the installer anymore.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It was just the "latest files from Tiramisu for your café." and "latest release of the Sigpatches Module." in the "What you Need" section after clicking "Continue to Tiramisu"
A bit late but that was the issue. You needed the files from https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/archive/cbhc/sd-preparation instead.

Anyway, do not download these files now. As @SDIO said you basically uninstalled CBHC (it's safe to uninstall the "DO NOT TOUCH" and/or Haxchi app now). So go ahead and install Tiramisu. You might want to start with a fresh SD card (remove all files from it or at best reformat but take a backup before) but that's up to you.

Last edited by V10lator,

CrvyloOo

OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah of course, I'm sure if I found this sooner it may have helped me. But thank you, I'll remove the haxchi app now.
I was going to format the SD card actually, once I do that, am I safe to put the files I mentioned from my previous post to do a clean install of Tiramisu?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol