Hacking Wii U wireless controller extender hack

Seroczynski

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've never noticed this thread before, so thanks for the bump :D

This is an excellent hack, great work on it mate.

Thanks for the write-up, would have loved to see some more pictures.

Reactions: kimotori

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
Im about to go ahead and complete this but was wondering whether the length of the rpl sm connector cable made any difference?

Im also not sure whether i should go ahead and do both cable or just one.

Wouldnt mind a 2nd opinion

===========

Edit: i managed to get this done, had varying results so far. I've only swapped one of the antennas.... will be tryig two in the bear future. But i have found a lot depends on the 'aerial' used.

I'm going to continue to experiment but so far i have gained around 3-4 meters in distance, so its quite good. I'm hoping if i change the 2nd antenna I will gain a lottle more. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by 75mak,

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My next test will be with cloverleaf antennas such as the ones used for 5ghz FPV UAVs:
https://www.google.com/?client=firefox-b#q=fpv+cloverleaf&tbm=shop

I believe one should have 3 and one should have 4 elements (Tx, Rx). The thing with these is they cover all polarities well.

FPV-5-8-GHz-Straight-Shape-Cloverleaf-antennas-set-SMA-Male-connector.jpg

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
Well do keep us updated. As I will buy a pair as I've got both antennas out and can barely see improvement with my current setup. Have to say antennas used are probably poor.

So if these cloverleaf things are any good, will but a pair straight away.

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The trick with this mod is to limit the length of any 'flyleads' and make ultra sure you don't short the center pin to ground or have a break in the circuit to the antenna - test with a multimeter if you have one to be sure. I'll shout as soon as I've been able to get hold of a few cloverleafs. I'm curious to see if it performs better with 4x cloverleaf antennas or 2x omni's and 2x cloverleaf... not yet sure...

Neouni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The trick with this mod is to limit the length of any 'flyleads' and make ultra sure you don't short the center pin to ground or have a break in the circuit to the antenna - test with a multimeter if you have one to be sure. I'll shout as soon as I've been able to get hold of a few cloverleafs. I'm curious to see if it performs better with 4x cloverleaf antennas or 2x omni's and 2x cloverleaf... not yet sure...

Cloverleaf are generally optimized for TX and RX, so where do the 2 omni come in at ?

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cloverleaf are generally optimized for TX and RX, so where do the 2 omni come in at ?
True... perhaps one omni on the controller and one on the Wii U and one cloverleaf on each. It'd be interesting to see the diffs. I'm thinking the Omni's are not ideal when you use the controller at various angles and pitches.

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
True... perhaps one omni on the controller and one on the Wii U and one cloverleaf on each. It'd be interesting to see the diffs. I'm thinking the Omni's are not ideal when you use the controller at various angles and pitches.

mmik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this and noticed no discernible difference. One thing is, in the OP, you say the grey and red wires are the gamepad antenna. Then you go on for the rest of the guide explaining how you replaced the black one. I ended up replacing both grey and black, however, and can't tell the difference. I lose signal in the exact same spots with the external antenna unscrewed.

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried this and noticed no discernible difference. One thing is, in the OP, you say the grey and red wires are the gamepad antenna. Then you go on for the rest of the guide explaining how you replaced the black one. I ended up replacing both grey and black, however, and can't tell the difference. I lose signal in the exact same spots with the external antenna unscrewed.
I did get a bit of an increase, but i think a lot depends on the antennas used and the length of the wires too.

any update on the cloverleaf things

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You need more range, dude:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1421304692-273737-jpg.66745

In all honesty though, really cool hardmod.
I usually don't use the Off-TV thing that often because the Gamepad loses connection when I go downstairs, but it's a nice thing that you even documented everything for those that want to achieve more range. :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421304692.273737.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421304692.273737.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,626

mmik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get really good reception in the room directly above the wii, even without the antenna. but all the directions I can walk to lose reception, upstairs or down, are the same, with or without. :\

xtreemsurf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, one thing I've noticed is that the distance seems to be better when the front of Wii U is facing the Gamepad. When I walk 10 feet to the left of the Wii U, toward the kitchen, I lose reception. When I go 25-30 feet straight in front of the Wii U, into the master bedroom, through a wall, I'm able to play games perfectly. Very strange. This is without an external antenna, but this external antenna idea sounds like a good one.

DrDeath2099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, one thing I've noticed is that the distance seems to be better when the front of Wii U is facing the Gamepad. When I walk 10 feet to the left of the Wii U, toward the kitchen, I lose reception. When I go 25-30 feet straight in front of the Wii U, into the master bedroom, through a wall, I'm able to play games perfectly. Very strange. This is without an external antenna, but this external antenna idea sounds like a good one.
I experience the same thing. I had the system in my downstairs area, but I lose connection as I walk upstairs to the upper level. I get that there is a wall in the way and you lose x amount of range for whatever thickness the wall is, but you'd think they'd have some sort of booster to increase the range just a bit. I was surprised that some third party didn't step up and make something.

Hyukishi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Completed my own hard mod with the external antennas using the adapters rather than going to soldering route. I didn't notice great improvement in range either but I do like the cosmetic effect of the external antennas more oddly enough.
de1f3fc200cd8a81dad1f2bb9fdf95eb.jpg
c3a39d7ce3ae06a4417de1c78fef0f86.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SuperNintendo64

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Completed my own hard mod with the external antennas using the adapters rather than going to soldering route. I didn't notice great improvement in range either but I do like the cosmetic effect of the external antennas more oddly enough.
de1f3fc200cd8a81dad1f2bb9fdf95eb.jpg
c3a39d7ce3ae06a4417de1c78fef0f86.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Im trying something like this right now. In fact i got basically the same set of cables/antennas as you.

My WiiU still open but i got to try the mod last night. I got absolutely nothing. My gamepad lost connection at the exact same spot as it did before the hack

Maybe i installed the antenna cables at the wrong chip?

I put it into that one chip with the red cable. Took both antenas out of this one and replaced with the pigtail cables/antennas

Was i right?

PS: i also dont know what to do with that black piece of plastic that is in the picture.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn