Hacking Wii U NOOB PARADISE - Ask & Answer questions here.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you can do it with mocha. I know mocha can use redNAND, not sure if it can create it. if it can't, you'll need to compile the fw.img yourself. there's a tutorial on iosuhax in the tutorials forum. it's by Fix94.

purplegreendave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I just bought a Wii U second hand, the guy left his NNID on the machine because he had bought BotW through the eshop. I ran WW:HD (off a disk) on his ID to make sure everything worked, and then when I got home I played on further because I was eager to just play a game on the system.

I created a new NNID for myself, set it as the default. Purchased Brain Training with it and followed the guide in the sticky.

I have CBHC running now, I've downloaded a backup and installed it to a USB stick with WUP Installer GX2 and it all worked fine. Then I used Savemii to copy my WW:HD save onto my new ID as well (didn't want to redo the stealth parts...).

So now I just have a couple of questions going forward:

Can I safely delete his NNID? I realise I'll lose his eShop BotW but I'm ok with that

I've noticed Wii U Usb Helper has some legacy games in it, Paper Mario:TTYD, Mario Party 2 etc. My understanding of that is that it can convert a rom of that game into an installable Wii U channel. Is this safe? (I've heard CBHC can freak out if bad Title IDs are used) Would I be better off doing a vWii method of playing SNES/N64/GCN games? I want this to be my "Nintendo Archive machine," but I'm not to worried about emulating other non Nintendo systems.

Is there a reasonable storage solution? Bearing in mind the smallest external hard drives on Amazon are 1TB, and the fact I can't use the same hard drive for Wii U and vWii, I'm picturing a 1tb hdd for Wii U games (which at even at 10gb each wouldn't come near full) and a 1tb hdd with for GCN/Wii. It just seems like overkill to me.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just bought a Wii U second hand, the guy left his NNID on the machine because he had bought BotW through the eshop. I ran WW:HD (off a disk) on his ID to make sure everything worked, and then when I got home I played on further because I was eager to just play a game on the system.

I created a new NNID for myself, set it as the default. Purchased Brain Training with it and followed the guide in the sticky.

I have CBHC running now, I've downloaded a backup and installed it to a USB stick with WUP Installer GX2 and it all worked fine. Then I used Savemii to copy my WW:HD save onto my new ID as well (didn't want to redo the stealth parts...).

So now I just have a couple of questions going forward:

Can I safely delete his NNID? I realise I'll lose his eShop BotW but I'm ok with that

I've noticed Wii U Usb Helper has some legacy games in it, Paper Mario:TTYD, Mario Party 2 etc. My understanding of that is that it can convert a rom of that game into an installable Wii U channel. Is this safe? (I've heard CBHC can freak out if bad Title IDs are used) Would I be better off doing a vWii method of playing SNES/N64/GCN games? I want this to be my "Nintendo Archive machine," but I'm not to worried about emulating other non Nintendo systems.

Is there a reasonable storage solution? Bearing in mind the smallest external hard drives on Amazon are 1TB, and the fact I can't use the same hard drive for Wii U and vWii, I'm picturing a 1tb hdd for Wii U games (which at even at 10gb each wouldn't come near full) and a 1tb hdd with for GCN/Wii. It just seems like overkill to me.
You're correct in most of your assumption. Yes you're safe to delete his NNID if you set up CBHC with your own. No you won't brick with CBHC and bad titles. CBHC bricks revolve around HaxChi and NNID's, not bad titles. Youve detailed your setup for us and followed the correct steps. It looks like you properly understand how it works so you can avoid bricks. Good job researching before asking! I love it!

As far as hard drives you could look for used smaller ones on eBay. I have a really old WD that I use. It's 500 gbs and it's not even half full.

Last edited by Kafluke,

unpaiktable

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys I am really sorry, this must have been asked numerous times. I am planning to buy a Wii U. What is the latest most reliable guide of playing backups? I haven't been following the scene for quite some time now since the Wii has more than covered me in terms of quality console games. But now I am a bit lost. I come across loadiine which I presume is SD only and the brazilian method, or "Hatchxi"... Which one is the most reliable? Is there a definitive guide to start from scratch? Do games need to be specially formatted for each loader?

Big thanks!

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey everyone,

So i got my Wii U and have Haxchi loaded on it. I have a bunch of Wii U games/ISOs, so I'm wondering if they can be run from USB without the danger of bricking the system. Is there any pre-patching i need to do for the Wii U games prior to loading them? I'm just asking because for vWii (Wii VC) I know some prepwork needs to be done. Thanks everyone.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys I am really sorry, this must have been asked numerous times. I am planning to buy a Wii U. What is the latest most reliable guide of playing backups? I haven't been following the scene for quite some time now since the Wii has more than covered me in terms of quality console games. But now I am a bit lost. I come across loadiine which I presume is SD only and the brazilian method, or "Hatchxi"... Which one is the most reliable? Is there a definitive guide to start from scratch? Do games need to be specially formatted for each loader?

Big thanks!
There's a noob guide in the stickies. Follow it. It helps you with all available options right now.

Reactions: unpaiktable

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the reply!

So does that mean I have to make the SD Card to the exact same state as it was before the error? Or are there other ways I can fix it?
Well, if you installed HaxChi with defaults then it's looking for HBL on the SD. If your Wii U can't read your SD it will give you a minus error.

I'll tell you how I know if my Wii u is reading my SD correctly. It's unconventional but I have to take my SD out of my Wii u all the time and it doesn't always read when I put it back in.

The Homebrew Channel on the vWii side will show you your Wii homebrew apps that are on your SD if it reads it. If it's blank (the Wii U isn't reading the SD), you can take out the SD card and leave the Wii U on and try reinserting it. If the Wii U reads it then all the apps will show up immediately on the HBC menu. The HBL on the Wii U side won't do this. So as soon as I see my vWii homebrew apps show up then I exit the vWii side and do my Wii U stuff. The SD will work now on boot until I pull it out again

unpaiktable

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What is the status regarding region locking? Can the Wii U play games from different regions, that were installed with the WUP installer method? Does it require CFW? Thanks

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
What is the status regarding region locking? Can the Wii U play games from different regions, that were installed with the WUP installer method? Does it require CFW? Thanks

Yes and yes. Read part 5. from Kafluke's guide. My recommendation is CBHC because it's convenient and fairly safe, but YMMV.

Last edited by lwiz,
Reactions: unpaiktable

unpaiktable

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes and yes. Read part 5. from Kafluke's guide. My recommendation is CBHC because it's convenient and fairly safe, but YMMV.

Cool, thanks. I just discovered Wii U USB Helper GO! and I must say I am very impressed with the work that has been put in this. Can I basically download anything there and then install it with WUP on an external HDD?

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Can I basically download anything there and then install it with WUP on an external HDD?

Yep. There are some games that are disc only - Skylanders Giants, Lego Dimensions etc. which need to be ripped from disc (or obtained as rips elsewhere) as eshop versions aren't available. The updates and such though can then be installed via USB helper or Nintys official eshop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe