s200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all,
Following the purchase of a second-hand console, and not having been able to make any backup (it crashed directly with error 160-0103 when I launched the dump), and as I was in 5.5.2, I thought I'd do an update before installing tiramisu... and the update froze at 98% (disgusted).

Now I've got nothing, not even video output... so apparently hard brick.
Will the UDPIH Exploit + NAND AID help me unbrick the console? Or (for the moment) it's all over...?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With a 160-0103 error you shouldn't do anything, esp not a system update, except grabbing syslogs. Now it's too late but oh well.

What color has the power LED when you turn on the system and is it solid or blinking?

s200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't know... I should have done the Voultar manipulation first.
The console lights up (even via a joystick), the LED is solid and you can hear the player 2 times.
Nothing more, no video, and it doesn't turn off with a single press on the power button, and the gamepad doesn't turn on of course.
Are you the one selling NAND-AID via e..y? (stupid question, I just saw your nickname on the site ;) )

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pretty sure this is a failing eMMC. Factory reset and update are good ways to full brick it with that condition.

Most likely UDPIH won't work anymore at this point, but if course you can try, maybe you get lucky. To see if udpih works, look for the LED turning purple, you won't see the menu on the screen, even if udpih works. That would give you an easy way to dump the MLC, logs and otp.

Since this is almost certain a failing eMMC, I would suggest you get a NAND AID and use that to dump the eMMC with the help of a card reader and a computer. Then flash that to a 32gb micro SD and put that in the NANd-AID.
With a bit of luck this will let your Wii boot again or at least far enough that udpih works again, from there we have a lot of options.
If that doesn't give you at least udpih, then the only way is to defuse.

s200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you V10lator and SDIO for taking the time to reply.

In view of your answers, and your extensive knowledge of the subject, I'm rather pessimistic.
I don't know if it's worth buying and taking the time without being sure of the result. I think I can find a console on its own for around thirty euros, so ... you get the idea.
If I'd been sure I could solve the problem, I think I'd have tried, but chances are it would have been a waste of time.

So if I buy another console, first I do the voultar manipulation if the console has error 160-0103, then an update, and then tiramisu? In any case, I'd do everything I could to make a backup of the NAND before doing anything.

I'll think about buying a raspberry pico to test the UDPIH procedure.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With de-fuse it's fixable for sure. De-fuse is also just a RPI pico but you need to solder some more. Also you could upgrade the internal memory to 64 GB with that.

In case you buy a new console instead and that one shows 160-0103, too, use UDPIH to dump the syslogs, then look in there (or upload them) to see what's going on behind the scene. In case you mean using UDPIH to reset the boot title with "Voultar method": That won't work. Software tricks Just make things worse in the long run, you need to fix/replace the hardware (NAND-AID).

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With defuse this can be fixed for sure, it's just that is a lot more work compared to just soldering the NAND AID, so I try to avoid that.

I am not sure what you mean by voultar method.

s200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
OK!!! I'm doing the research to better understand what "de-fuse" is.
I thought "defuse" meant to unsolder one of the chips.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Look here: https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/wii_u_modchip/blob/main/pico_defuse/README.md

But from my experience transferring the MLC to a new media or even erasing the eMMC and writing the image back, makes it boot far enough again for UDPIH to work. So you probably don't need to defuse
Post automatically merged:

Also for the dump with a Cardreader y you might consider getting something like this: https://www.ebay.de/itm/40256871075...LvCthtyRc-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This would act as an adapter from the Cardreader and gives you solder points. But you could also build one from an Micro SD to SD adapter yourself

Last edited by SDIO,

s200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is just a message to reach the account level wich i can post some urls.

Hello everyone,
I received yesterday a nand-aid kit to solder (thanks V10lator), and I just finished soldering it.
Just to be clear on the next steps (WARNING: this is not a tutorial but a verification/request of the steps to follow):
1. even if I don't have a video output, I'm waiting to receive my raspberry pico to see if I can dump as much as possible (especially MLC & SLC). So I have to do the manipulations blind. I'll use this tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/udpih-usb-host-stack-exploit-recovery-menu.613369/
1a. It works ! I go to step 4
1b. It doesn't work :( I go to step 2
2. I'm a bit lost. I have nothing to rebuild my MLC. I think I need to make a backup via "minute_minute", following the instructions in this link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-re...rely-damaged-wii-u-nand.639411/#post-10242927
2a. It works! I go to step 4
2b. It doesn't work :( Go to step 3
3. I use the de_fuse technique: https://gbatemp.net/threads/de_fuse-a-wii-u-modchip-in-development-by-shinyquagsire.630931/
4. I follow the V10lator tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-n...emmc-fix-160-0103-system-memory-error.636361/

I hope I haven't said too much stupid stuff... Thank you for your replies.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You would have needed to try udpih before installing the NAND AID. While installing NAND-AID you disconnect the eMMC by cutting the clk trace. Without it udpih won't work and even if it would you couldn't dump the eMMC, because you disconnected it.

Since you had no screen output it was unlikely for udpih to work anyway.
So I suggest you either get such a breakout board I linked on eBay to use a card reader to dump the eMMC or you built one yourself out of a micro SD to SD adapter. The NAND aid has these big pads where you would connect it to.

See here for example: https://gbatemp.net/threads/successfully-dumped-wiiu-emmc-nand-with-hardmod.457165/

s200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I haven't installed the NAND-AID yet. I've just soldered it (itself). I've disassembled the WII U, but for now, I'm waiting for my raspberry pico to arrive before trying the udpih.
I've understood that there's a good chance that the udpih won't work.
Then, I don't understand (sorry). You advise me to buy a breakout board to unload the eMMC... but my NAND-AID won't do the job?
What's the best way to unload the eMMC in this case?... I'm a bit lost, I've read a lot of things and I don't know what to think. I'll keep searching to understand.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is nothing to solder on the NAND AID before installing it. You can solder the slot only after soldering the interposer to the Mainboard because you need to reach the big and via. And the cap should also only be soldered after the slot else or would he harder to reach the pins of the SD slot.
If you have already soldered the slit to the interposer you have a problem. I am not sure if you can remove it without damaging it. Maybe it's better to just get a new one. If you ask @V10lator directly it might be cheaper than on ebay. Else you could also do the GND connection with a bodge wire. The problem is that you need that connection also for mechanical strength, so you would have to glue down the nand aid or something like that.

For the adapter I linked you would use it together with the nand aid. You would solder the NAND aid but don't install an SD into it yet. It gives you the big pads. You would hook up these pads to either the other board I linked or the inner contacts of a micro SD adapter. So you can plug that into an SD reader and access the eMMC that way via the PC.
With the PC you can then do a Image of the eMMC using dd or on Windows Win32DiskImager and then write that image to an 32gb SD

s200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Firstly: Thank you SDIO for your answers.
Second: there has been a misunderstanding. I've already bought a NAND-AID directly from V10lator. You have to solder it yourself, because all you get is the PCB, an SD connector and a capacitor. So I soldered all that, and so far it hasn't been soldered to the motherboard.
Thirdly: I'm beginning to understand how to recover the eMMC. I'm going to look on the site (or elsewhere) for the complete procedure and I'm going to solder on the contacts of an SD adapter to read it on the PC.

Thanks again, and I hope I'm not disturbing you again.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/successfully-dumped-wiiu-emmc-nand-with-hardmod.457165/

Is this tutorial the right way to do it?

Last edited by s200,

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You have to solder it yourself, because all you get is the PCB, an SD connector and a capacitor. So I soldered all that, and so far it hasn't been soldered to the motherboard.
I know, but how are you going to solder the GND connection which is under the SD slot now?

Yes I don't know of a better one. But instead of soldering the Wires directly to the Wii U board, you would install then NAND-AID first and then solder the wires to that instead, as it gives you bigger more robust pads

s200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I know, but how are you going to solder the GND connection which is under the SD slot now?
English is not my native language (I'm French...). I didn't quite understand your 1st message. I thought you were talking about NAND-AID and that I had already soldered it to the motherboard.
I reread your message carefully and I understood the problem... and I didn't know that.
I'll use a wire and see if I should use glue or adhesive tape.
Yes I don't know of a better one. But instead of soldering the Wires directly to the Wii U board, you would install then NAND-AID first and then solder the wires to that instead, as it gives you bigger more robust pads
Of course! I'm trying to do this quickly and of course I'll update the post later. Anyway, I'm waiting for my pico.

Thanks again, and have a nice weekend.

s200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone,
I couldn't install the NAND-AID !!! As expected, UDPIH didn't work.
I don't have the eyes I had when I was 20 (I'm 46) and I couldn't solder the NAND-AID. I managed to solder the SD card adapter to a ribbon cable, but as I have the beginnings of presbitie, I couldn't see anything to solder the card to.
So I decided to solder some wrapping wire, but just as I'd got it all done, the CLK pad broke off.... I tried to solder on the little bit of track I had left, but I didn't succeed and it broke off too.
I think it's dead now.
I would like to thank everyone who tried to help me (V10lator and SDIO), but it looks like my daughters are going to keep their old WII.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Which pad broke of? The one on the eMMC side or the one in the host side?
I recommend magnet wire for such soldering so it doesn't stress the pad and then holding it down with capton tape or something after soldering

s200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The one on the motherboard, which starts from the eMMC. I soldered it to the pad and didn't have time to hold it in place, the pad broke off quickly. I wasn't expecting that.
So I think it's dead (unless you can recover the CLK signal elsewhere, but I highly doubt it).

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The trace connects to the host controller in the soc with the eMMC. There are two pads. Which side of the signal is now inaccessible? The one towards the soc or the one towards the eMMC?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol