Hardware Wii U launch price. Any thoughts?

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It falls in the "not bad" category but I won't be buying regardless.

It just seems to have very little appeal to anyone who already owns a Xbox 360/PS3/gaming PC. I mean it has a few exclusives but nothing got my interest except Rayman Legends which I'm still a bit wary about.

Controllers are overpriced as fuck though. I think it's just to help cover losses on the minimal profits of the system sales (meaning the low profits they make per console sold). I mean the console is like $300 but factor in buying more controllers and the bazillion peripherals they'll develop later on, plus the old Wii controllers/peripherals if you don't have them, and it's rather sizable.

I dunno, a lot of people are saying "Nintendo is getting hardcore gamers back!" after the Wii burned them (including me) but I already switched over to a Xbox 360. They're a couple years too late and I don't see myself laying down money for a new console that's roughly getting the same treatment that current generation consoles have been getting for years: multiplats with other consoles and an exclusive now and then.

in the US we cant even buy extra controls...which is just weird...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love how many people don't realize that you don't need more than one GamePad. At all. At the moment.

But if your controller breaks or you just want to have more than one...

I'd think that having multi GamePad support would seem like a rather basic feature honestly.
I think they waiting for them to get cheaper and have a reason for a second Upad.
You can sent them to support if something happens.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild, who thinks Rayman Origins is Gods gift to platformers is worried about Legends? The end is near :)
I was just reading up on the Amazon stuff. It seems there is a good chance they might snub the Wii U, which is just silly and disappointing.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Love how many people don't realize that you don't need more than one GamePad. At all. At the moment.

But if your controller breaks or you just want to have more than one...

I'd think that having multi GamePad support would seem like a rather basic feature honestly.
Well they didn't say it wasn't gonna be sold later in the near future.
+ If it breaks, customer service.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are waiting on Amazon, I'd have a backup place to preorder ready. There's something going on between Amazon and Nintendo and they haven't been selling Nintendo hardware directly, only third parties through the marketplace. They didn't have preorders for 3DS XL and they aren't selling the handheld now either. This is for the US by the way.

Do you know if Walmart charges for the full price after you preorder or when it's actually available? I refuse to pay for a console that hasn't been released yet. I don't mind a deposit though.

Edit: Never mind, i don't even see the Wii U at Walmart yet....WTF?

Reactions: 1 person

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find the price very reasonable. It's not expensive for an advanced console like this. Plus, the 3DS at launch was $250 dollars, this controller is kind of like a giant single screened DS with more advanced tech. I actually feel like $300 is a steal for this console. Not the biggest fan of Nintendo with their home consoles, but this seems more like a must have super tablet.
i thought of the WiiU as a more powerful home 3DS

you have a big upper screen (The TV)
and the small bottom touch screen (the GamePad)

im sure they could update the WiiU to chuck out 3D for 3D tv's also

so its effectively a Super Powered XXXXXL 3DS (number of X's depend on TV size)

Haha yeah, you could look at it like that. :lol:

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I think this is a bargain. For $300, you get the Wii U, 8gb internal storage, a touch screen gamepad, and all hookups. For $50 more, you get a new retail game (probably sells $50 or $60 on its own) and 24 more gb of internal memory. I really don't see how this isn't a great deal.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think this is a bargain. For $300, you get the Wii U, 8gb internal storage, a touch screen gamepad, and all hookups. For $50 more, you get a new retail game (probably sells $50 or $60 on its own) and 24 more gb of internal memory. I really don't see how this isn't a great deal.
Good deal, but still a high price for people having to pay bills.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Price is fucking good. Better tech than over current gen and plus a tablet like controller for enhance experience. This will very could be the next PS2, one year advantage over competition to get some install base going.

Can't wait to play VC games on bed or maybe a few Wii/Wii U games. So good.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
No offense, but that's a ridiculous argument. You might as well be saying that a new Mercedes shouldn't cost over $100K because "people have to pay bills" or that a 50 inch LED shouldn't cost $1K because "people have to pay bills."

And trust me, as someone who just recently had to drop out of college because of finances and is still unemployed after almost 2 months of job hunting, I can totally understand and sympathize with the frustration of being poor. That said, if you're so poor that you can't afford a $300 game console then, well, you probably should be using your money on more important things than video games and consoles anyway. That's quite frankly what it boils down to.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No offense, but that's a ridiculous argument. You might as well be saying that a new Mercedes shouldn't cost over $100K because "people have to pay bills" or that a 50 inch LED shouldn't cost $1K because "people have to pay bills."

And trust me, as someone who just recently had to drop out of college because of finances and is still unemployed after almost 2 months of job hunting, I can totally understand and sympathize with the frustration of being poor. That said, if you're so poor that you can't afford a $300 game console then, well, you probably should be using your money on more important things than video games and consoles anyway. That's quite frankly what it boils down to.

Are you saying a luxury pastime is rather expensive?

Reactions: 2 people

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Could'nt agree more. With the economy crashing here in Europe, I think more people will think like this.
Health insurance alone will cost me approx 2000 euro's coming year. With 2 young kids also there are indeed measures to be made.
But honestly I think the price will drop for the Wii u after this fiscal year.Hopefully we will be able to invest in more luxury then. In the mean time I'll enjoy the wonderfull world off Wii and all it's fantasic homebrew. Lucky I'm not through playing with Wii.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
In the mean time I'll enjoy the wonderfull world off Wii and all it's fantasic homebrew. Lucky I'm not through playing with Wii.
Same here. I didn't get a Wii till April, so I still have tons of awesome games to play through. I feel kind of bad, because the 360 I got as a gift this February is mostly collecting dust. lol.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In the mean time I'll enjoy the wonderfull world off Wii and all it's fantasic homebrew. Lucky I'm not through playing with Wii.
Same here. I didn't get a Wii till April, so I still have tons of awesome games to play through. I feel kind of bad, because the 360 I got as a gift this February is mostly collecting dust. lol.

360>>>Wii.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The price is very reasonable considering that the Wii U gamepad has a lot of hardware in it, and that screen is probably a large chunk of the gamepad cost. If it had a normal controller I would expect the price to be more similar to the Wii's launch price. I'll probably end up getting the premium package since that has a few extras plus larger storage capacity, but I haven't decided yet.
From the looks of that article you have to buy the premium package to get a black console, and I definitely prefer black over white. Plus, since it's bundled with Nintendo Land makes it better value for money than the normal package. I'd probably end up getting Nintendo Land anyway.

Of course no one can deny that there is not much incentive games-wise to get the Wii U at launch, but that doesn't make the price any less reasonable. I don't agree with the article saying it's too expensive, but I do agree that it's not worth it to get the Wii U just to play New Super Mario Bros. U. I'll probably get it at launch anyway, because I know there's going to be lots of awesome games for it in time, and I like being an early adopter.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi