Hardware Wii U Hard Drive no longer recognized fix?

Pook and Pie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried downloading a game last night but I started getting some errors when downloading (my USB hub that's connected is touchy sometimes). Turned the console off and back on and then it finished the download, played the game for a bit and then went to bed.

Turned the console on today and suddenly my hard drive doesn't work at all and it triggers an error telling me that the hard drive isn't properly set up to work on this console and that I need to format. I unplugged the hard drive, connected it to my computer and HD Tune Pro was showing no physical defects in the drive (looks like what Nintendo formats the drive to doesn't interfere with SMART). I connected the hard drive directly to the ports on the front and back of the Wii U, as it doesn't even give a notification of the hard drive's existence when connected to the USB hub I have.

Is there anything I can do at this particular point to maybe access the drive long enough to just get a couple of save files off of it? I looked up other threads and didn't exactly get anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Pook and Pie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I mean, this hard drive is actually for a Wii U, storing and saving Wii U games, not ones for vWii.

In any event, I think I found out what my issue was. My console froze while installing a game the night before and I think it broke the partitioning of the hard drive.

There's no way to re-partition to the Wii U's file system yet, I imagine, so I'm guessing this thing is done for now. Whelp, I can always hope for an exploit to happen that lets me run cheats or something to try and get my progress back faster in Monster Hunter and Hyrule Warriors (like 100 and 300 hours each, respectively). Thanks for the look.

Edit: The reason I think the partitions are what broke is that 2 partitions show up when I use Easeus recovery, when I plug in another drive I just formatted, that isn't the case. So something got split and now the Wii U doesn't think the drive is formatted anymore. I'm not sure there's a fix for this, either.

Last edited by Pook and Pie,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you using a wbfs partition? if so this just happens to them eventually they die.

I have been usig a wbfs partition for 5 years and its fine. So have all my friends as thats the way i set it up before fat32 reading/writing was around

As for the topic i think you might be out of luck. sounds like the filesystem is currupt. There realy needs to be a filesystem checker on the wii u. Next time make a copy of your saves for flash drives. its what i do incase there is curruotion

Pook and Pie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree; it would be great to have something to check the file system.

I tried toying with it some more but it doesn't look like anything is going to help it. I initialized it in my PC to MBR and will probably be formatting it tonight. It's a shame that my information is still on there, but I have no way to access it. <_<;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: