Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any kind of warning system at GBATemp? I feel it would be awful handy in this thread alone haha.

Even if the common key had anything to do with USB loading, it would still require people with the know-how to code said loader. Nobody has even said they were working on it, so claiming that a project that hasn't even began will take 6 months to complete is pretty irrational.

The news to me is that someone has found an IOSU exploit? Who and when did this happen?

There is already a kernel exploit already worked on, probably a IOSU exploit too.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any kind of warning system at GBATemp? I feel it would be awful handy in this thread alone haha.

Even if the common key had anything to do with USB loading, it would still require people with the know-how to code said loader. Nobody has even said they were working on it, so claiming that a project that hasn't even began will take 6 months to complete is pretty irrational.

The news to me is that someone has found an IOSU exploit? Who and when did this happen?

There have been rumors for a while now, and everything I've been told seems to line up so either everything is true or my life is a lie.

Reactions: Krafter and JVC2

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
IOSU exploits and ODEs being finished and lots of stuff behind the scenes.

If ODEs are going to be released on a commercial basis, i could then see many potential leaks coming from those unhappy with piracy and in the know (like team f0f). making potential usb loaders easier by releasing a mechanism for full control of the sytem making development on any potential usb loaders easier.

A software based usb loader would have the effect of devastating any commercial ODE on the market.

I find it hard to beleive people are going to release an ODE unless its commercially viable. So unless they only make a few and release imminently, in the long run, such a device would be unnecessary.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If ODEs are going to be released on a commercial basis, i could then see many potential leaks coming from those unhappy with piracy and in the know (like team f0f). making potential usb loaders easier by releasing a mechanism for full control of the sytem making development on any potential usb loaders easier.

A software based usb loader would have the effect of devastating any commercial ODE on the market.

I find it hard to beleive people are going to release an ODE unless its commercially viable. So unless they only make a few and release imminently, in the long run, such a device would be unnecessary.

This is not how the real world works. No one unhappy about 'paid' piracy solution is going to contribute to 'free' piracy solution. Look at the 3ds. GateWay and sky3ds could be out of business nearly overnight but instead many clones and crippled releases (I'm lookin' at you sky3ds) have come and gone. Not even a public release of the 3ds Commonkey has happened.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what does this mean for your kernel exploit? Are you & MN1 still going to release it?

The kernel exploit will enable actual homebrew while the ODE's and an IOSU exploit will bring about a backup loading solutions. Also as a side note an IOSU exploit may also allow for region free too :D.

So ODE's and an IOSU exploit is really an entirely different beast from the kernel exploit. I don't see any reason for one to "trump" the other...

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what does this mean for your kernel exploit? Are you & MN1 still going to release it?

Yes, it will still be finished regardless of what other people do. It just means that if an IOSU exploit were created and released, we could really expand what we can use since we can enable SD/USB and such, and dump all the various keys that have been mentioned to decrypt storage and such. Basically, more freedom.

KungFuzion

Trophies
XP
Country
The kernel exploit will enable actual homebrew while the ODE's and an IOSU exploit will bring about a backup loading solutions. Also as a side note an IOSU exploit may also allow for region free too :D.

So ODE's and an IOSU exploit is really an entirely different beast from the kernel exploit. I don't see any reason for one to "trump" the other...

I understand the difference between Kernel & IOSU. I was wondering if they were going to continue the kernel release if it's true iosu & ode are in the pipeline for release one day. If you had an IOSU exploit wouldn't you be able to install a homebrew launcher to the nand? As iv'e heard the Kernel exploit will run in a "sandbox" type enviroment & the exploit will have to be run everytime you boot the console up.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't care if piracy comes or goes. I'm just happy MN1 & NWP are putting a lot of effort in for all of us to enjoy the kernel exploit when it's ready. What ever happens after that is just a bonus :) Let's just get back on track here folks.

This.
I don't care if it allows piracy aswell. As long as you can play Homebrew and a permanent install with an IOSU exploit is really nice :D
I wish to play N64, DS and other emulators that has a lot of ROM hacks compatibility.
I also wish to install and play VC games, playing them in bed relax on my Wii U GamePad :D Also VC injects!!!!! :D

Seroczynski

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've been reading up in this thread today. Glad to see there is still some action for the Wii U going on. I found the Wii to be one of the best emulator machines (like the Xbox) but if we could have all that shiny stuff in combination with the Wii U gamepad would finally make the gamepad useful :lol:

Keep up the good work, I'll be following this thread more closely from now on.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And fof did'nt even manage to defeat the boot loader if I rember correctly :(
I asked Marcan via tweet around the time the common key had come out. I am paraphrasing here; he tried something and it did not work so he gave up (no interest) in getting the boot1 key. I recall somebody saying they had full code execution and control over the Wii U so they considered it to be fully hacked WHILE others suggested without the boot1 key (boot exploit also?) that it was not fully hacked. This is from my memory only but the tweets should be there if anyone wants to go back to see Marcan's tweets. I avoided this thread for a while given the amount of garbage (much of it was gone by the time I did come around again).

The 3ds approach to emu-nand is possible MN1/nwplayer? There was front page news about a 3ds ban hammer. I've been into other news lately and only browse twitter and other news sources on other topics. IOSU exploit? ODE? People have whispered this stuff to me since 2013 but I've never seen proof. Being able to backup my saves and other information I paid for interests me. Would this be possible if the IOSU could get the keys used to encrypt/decrypt storage devices? I buy my games and enjoy playing SOME online. I could not risk losing onlint functionality as the 3ds appears to be losing (some of it). Good hunting guys and thanks for the updates you can/do give ;-)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

KungFuzion

Trophies
XP
Country
I asked Marcan via tweet around the time the common key had come out. I am paraphrasing here; he tried something and it did not work so he gave up (no interest) in getting the boot1 key. I recall somebody saying they had full code execution and control over the Wii U so they considered it to be fully hacked WHILE others suggested without the boot1 key (boot exploit also?) that it was not fully hacked. This is from my memory only but the tweets should be there if anyone wants to go back to see Marcan's tweets. I avoided this thread for a while given the amount of garbage (much of it was gone by the time I did come around again).

The 3ds approach to emu-nand is possible MN1/nwplayer? There was front page news about a 3ds ban hammer. I've been into other news lately and only browse twitter and other news sources on other topics. IOSU exploit? ODE? People have whispered this stuff to me since 2013 but I've never seen proof. Being able to backup my saves and other information I paid for interests me. Would this be possible if the IOSU could get the keys used to encrypt/decrypt storage devices? I buy my games and enjoy playing SOME online. I could not risk losing onlint functionality as the 3ds appears to be losing (some of it). Good hunting guys and thanks for the updates you can/do give ;-)

That's pretty much what I remember with marcan giving up on the bootkey. It still seems a little strange you would go that far to hack the wii u & not jump that last hurdle for the boot key. As for the 3ds approach with emunand I have wondered about this too for the wiiu? It would be intresting to hear from MN1/NWP what their thoughts are on this.

My 3ds is still fine from the ban hammer. I have only injected my own headers from my legit copies though.(Never used public headers) None the less i'm staying offline until more is known on what is going on.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not up to date on how emuNANDs work, I assume it uses files from an external device and does read/write to it.
Based on how everything works, I'd say emuNAND has an IOSU exploit minimum, not only to access external devices, but also because otherwise I'm not sure how possible it would be to hook all processes up to it.
We'd need to do a lot more research to make it happen regardless.

So, the way it'd probably work is you plug in a big enough hard drive to put the NAND and eMMC data on, "reboot" everything clean which you should be able to do with an IOSU exploit, then redirect all calls to storage to the hard drive.
If they try to ban you, I'm not sure how exactly it works but it seems it's tied to your NNID and stored on the console, same as all other NNID data.

I'm also not sure how exactly the storage key stuff works so I'm not going to go in detail on that because I'm probably wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not sure if RetroArch has improved it's UI or not