Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Id like to know this too, find a game with 5.5.1 on and then we wont have to worry about it :P
Isn't 5.5.1 the latest version anyway? I could just update using the usual online method. There is no sign of any new update for months now.

D

Deleted-355425

Isn't 5.5.1 the latest version anyway? I could just update using the usual online method. There is no sign of any new update for months now.

It is but if you find a disc then you can stay on 5.3.2 incase anything interesting comes along and if not then you can update by disc if Nintendo have already pushed a higher firmware then 5.5.1/

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id like to know this too, find a game with 5.5.1 on and then we wont have to worry about it :P

The only problem with updating online or by disc to 5.5.1 is if you spoofed to version 5.5.1.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a problem when you are updating with disc, but not online.
If you have spoofed to the current firmware(5.5.1), you have added a file which acts like a true version 5.5.1 firmware.
That file(s) will need to be removed(and maybe even replaced)(although unlikely) to update online.
Although, offline updating with true NUS files may work.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The only problem with updating online or by disc to 5.5.1 is if you spoofed to version 5.5.1.
I actually am still using the 5.5.0 spoof. Believe it or not, Nintendo didn't bother locking me out. So online games work, NNU patcher for Eshop works, Friendlist works, and I don't get update nag either :P

fraret

A puffin
Trophies
Website
localhost
XP
Country
If you have spoofed to the current firmware(5.5.1), you have added a file which acts like a true version 5.5.1 firmware.
That file(s) will need to be removed(and maybe even replaced)(although unlikely) to update online.
Although, offline updating with true NUS files may work.
I mean, spoofing won't allow you to use a disc to update (its primary function is to do so). Even with the version.bin file, the servers from nintendo will try to make your console update. There is something else that makes nintendo realise you are not using the latest version. Proof is the fact that you need to use NNU patcher to access the eShop.

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
As long as you block "tagaya.wup.shop.nintendo.net", it will never notify the console there is any update for anything. However, if the console learns of an update before you block that address, then it will continue to nag you about that certain update. Blocking that address will only work against any future updates it tries to notify your console about.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funnily enough, most homebrew apps, even kexploit work perfectly fine; I and other Wii U devs are on this firmware. That and iOSU is confirmed to be compatible with 5.5.x and many others. If you do update to 5.5.1 (and given the reassurances of current Wii U developers), immediately block any and all Nintendo servers. With Breath of the Wild, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tried to pull a fast one with a final Wii U firmware update.

shaneod

Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by shaneod,

oldsk00l

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I mean, spoofing won't allow you to use a disc to update (its primary function is to do so). Even with the version.bin file, the servers from nintendo will try to make your console update. There is something else that makes nintendo realise you are not using the latest version. Proof is the fact that you need to use NNU patcher to access the eShop.

As long as you block "tagaya.wup.shop.nintendo.net", it will never notify the console there is any update for anything. However, if the console learns of an update before you block that address, then it will continue to nag you about that certain update. Blocking that address will only work against any future updates it tries to notify your console about.

So do you think that if i am on 5.3.2, spoofed to 5.5.1 i am able to update with disc (5.5.1) IF my console noticed any update from "tagaya.wup.shop.nintendo.net" before i blocked that address? Or is it impossible to update with disc to 5.5.1 if your console is spoofed to 5.5.1?

If that would be correct all people (spoofed to 5.5.1) needs to update online as long as it is still possible and especially before 5.5.2 come out. Couldn't we update with NUS?

Last edited by oldsk00l,

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend all end-users jump to 5.5.1, there's literally no reason to stay on older fws any more. NUS-based offline updates are possible but probably won't be prepared for the initial launch. If N ships an update in the meantime, you'd be waiting unless you own a disk with the right update.
You can probably explain your way out of updating until the end of time but like... there's really nothing to lose by updating. Pinky swear.

Technical explanation: the main change in 5.5 IOSU (in hax terms) is that they verify SP is within the thread's specified stack addrs. If your SP is way out of range and you try to do syscalls, you'll panic. This is really trivially worked around in ROP, so it doesn't matter much. If you're (very specifically) a user trying to make exploits from public vulns who is also really bad at ROP for some reason, I wouldn't recommend you update. Literally everyone else should.

D

Deleted-355425

I'd recommend all end-users jump to 5.5.1, there's literally no reason to stay on older fws any more. NUS-based offline updates are possible but probably won't be prepared for the initial launch. If N ships an update in the meantime, you'd be waiting unless you own a disk with the right update.
You can probably explain your way out of updating until the end of time but like... there's really nothing to lose by updating. Pinky swear.

Technical explanation: the main change in 5.5 IOSU (in hax terms) is that they verify SP is within the thread's specified stack addrs. If your SP is way out of range and you try to do syscalls, you'll panic. This is really trivially worked around in ROP, so it doesn't matter much. If you're (very specifically) a user trying to make exploits from public vulns who is also really bad at ROP for some reason, I wouldn't recommend you update. Literally everyone else should.

That answers that one then, I will update 5.3.2 up to 5.5.1. Shame the EZ share card I'm using to host the exploit won't work with the 5.5.1 exploit..... Hmpff

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

No one uses Pinky swear in vain, I'll update right now.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i'm glad i updated to 5.5.1 months ago. Btw, this is out if topic but, your profile picture looks interesting, who is the artist or where did you get it? :P

D

Deleted-355425

i'm glad i updated to 5.5.1 months ago. Btw, this is out if topic but, your profile picture looks interesting, who is the artist or where did you get it? :P

whats DNS are you using to block updates? im just updating to 5.5.1 right now.

JaceCearK1

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
whats DNS are you using to block updates? im just updating to 5.5.1 right now.
Why are you updating?
You could just spoof the fw! :O
Edit: To answer your question: Look at the first page of this Thread and put those onto a Blacklist in your Router! ;)

Last edited by JaceCearK1,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope we'll be able to play Zelda Breath of the Wild through Loadiine but I bet it will require a firmware higher than 5.5.1. Hopefully we'll at least be able to spoof to the higher firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, same +1