CosmoCortney

Lawn Meower
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
My TV says the resolution of the input source when I hit "info". It doesn't say framerate or anything like that, but maybe you can check if your TV will at least tell you that much.
But the Wii U outputs 720p as 1080p signal, doesn't it?

Reactions: Deleted-355425

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
But the Wii U outputs 720p as 1080p signal, doesn't it?
Yeah, the Wii U render games at custom resolutions (WATCH_DOGS runs at 648p, while Splatoon for example 720p).
To know approximately what is the native resolution of a game, I try to get the closer I can to my TV and see the pixels, in 720p I can see it's more jagged than a 1080p one, I compared SSBFW and Scribblenauts and I know Scriblenauts approximately resolution is/is close to 720p.
For the frame rate is another story, you need to see if it runs smooth or you fell it choppy, there still no way to know exact frame rate and resolution, I hope someday someone makes a tutorial to know this and even change graphical settings...
BTW, in Scribblenauts Unmasked I found a graphic configuration ini :D (But it doesn't change resolution, it lets me to access debug or change the Anti-aliasing FXAA)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, the Wii U render games at custom resolutions (WATCH_DOGS runs at 648p, while Splatoon for example 720p).
To know approximately what is the native resolution of a game, I try to get the closer I can to my TV and see the pixels, in 720p I can see it's more jagged than a 1080p one, I compared SSBFW and Scribblenauts and I know Scriblenauts approximately resolution is/is close to 720p.
For the frame rate is another story, you need to see if it runs smooth or you fell it choppy, there still no way to know exact frame rate and resolution, I hope someday someone makes a tutorial to know this and even change graphical settings...
BTW, in Scribblenauts Unmasked I found a graphic configuration ini :D (But it doesn't change resolution, it lets me to access debug or change the Anti-aliasing FXAA)
i doubt there could even exist a tutorial since each games probably has the resolution in completely diferent places or even functions.

max-m

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If one could access the frame buffer before the Wii U does its upscaling one could read the frame buffer's size and therefore the resolution the game rendered at, but I don't know anything about the U's rendering system, therefore this is just an assumption :)

Reactions: Margen67

feyas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
In the program i'm currently writing i need to patch some code which seems to be on physical memory location 0x8ee3ac88. But it seems the remapping of the kernel exploit doesn't go that far.
Has someone an idea how i could patch the location without actually changing the whole mapping? I want to keep it compatible with the different mappings that are already used....

@Marionumber1
I read the post about the OSDriver exploit and there you explained the kernel address table.
Wouldn't it be possible with this table to remap the actual memory area to RWX instead of remapping the memory area. Or isn't that possible for some reason?

feyas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@feyas You can use kern_write() if you don't want to change the mapping.

I tried that and for me the kern_write() simply crashed. But now that I think about it, the reason for that could also be that I didn't patched the syscall tables for the games.

But it could also fail because of this:
kern_read() and kern_write() force the kernel to read from and set the values at 32-bit pointers. They let you bypass kernel-only page protections, and write kernel data, but if you try to break other protections (like read-only) if will crash.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the program i'm currently writing i need to patch some code which seems to be on physical memory location 0x8ee3ac88. But it seems the remapping of the kernel exploit doesn't go that far.
Has someone an idea how i could patch the location without actually changing the whole mapping? I want to keep it compatible with the different mappings that are already used....

@Marionumber1
I read the post about the OSDriver exploit and there you explained the kernel address table.
Wouldn't it be possible with this table to remap the actual memory area to RWX instead of remapping the memory area. Or isn't that possible for some reason?

Yes, it is possible; thought I haven't done it personally, I believe people have done it.

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Reactions: Margen67

CoolAlpha

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes it is. It's a flaw that naehrwert is attempting to exploit. We've been discussing it for the past few hours.
Nonetheless, it's a IOSU userland flaw only at the moment. It should be more relevant if it's possible to attack the kernel with it.

The flaw itself was patched after 5.2.0, so, the general rule applies, if you're on a low firmware already, don't update.

@Hykem, is this flaw firmware dependent?
You think it will be released only for firmwares that have already a userspace/kexploit developed or it will be available also for firmwares where an userspace/kexploit is possible, but has not yet been developed (5.1.1 - 5.2.0)?
I'm asking this because I'm stuck on 5.2.0

Last edited by CoolAlpha,

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for telling me this AFTER WEEKS where everyone already updated their Wii u to 5.3.2 to get spoofed 5.5.0 and eShop access again, gg, 10/10
It's not like information was withheld until that day.. They probably just discovered it that day and then told everyone as soon as possible. You made your decision weeks ago, so enjoy what you have and stop complaining. Hykem's goal is to port any exploit up to 5.5.0 anyways.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Antonio Ricardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for telling me this AFTER WEEKS where everyone already updated their Wii u to 5.3.2 to get spoofed 5.5.0 and eShop access again, gg, 10/10

Some unknow troll give me a message to not bother devs...lol
I just did a question asking if this is true.

Last edited by Antonio Ricardo,

Hykem

Trophies
XP
Country
@Hykem Do you see a firmware downgrade possible potentially with what you guys currently have ? or even with the help of the leaked SDK ?

The leaked SDK is not useful for hacking retail units. It's a good source of documentation for developers, but don't expect anything related to hacking to show up thanks to the official SDK.
Regarding a firmware downgrade, absolutely. Aside from running custom code at boot (which would require exploiting the earlier stages of the boot chain; boot0 and/or boot1) and turning your WiiU into a toaster, the IOSU kernel access level can pretty much accomplish anything you can imagine.

Instead of going into full on rage mode, you could have read my post a few pages ago.
TL;DR, you're not missing out anything.

@Hykem, is this flaw firmware dependent?
You think it will be released only for firmwares that have already a userspace/kexploit developed or it will be available also for firmwares where an userspace/kexploit is possible, but has not yet been developed (5.1.1 - 5.2.0)?
I'm asking this because I'm stuck on 5.2.0

Like I've mentioned before, this flaw in particular should only work on firmwares lower than 5.2.0. What I'm working on will work on any firmware version.

Antonio Ricardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The leaked SDK is not useful for hacking retail units. It's a good source of documentation for developers, but don't expect anything related to hacking to show up thanks to the official SDK.
Regarding a firmware downgrade, absolutely. Aside from running custom code at boot (which would require exploiting the earlier stages of the boot chain; boot0 and/or boot1) and turning your WiiU into a toaster, the IOSU kernel access level can pretty much accomplish anything you can imagine.

Instead of going into full on rage mode, you could have read my post a few pages ago.
TL;DR, you're not missing out anything.

Like I've mentioned before, this flaw in particular should only work on firmwares lower than 5.2.0. What I'm working on will work on any firmware version.

People are think that your IOSU just will work with 5.3.2 but will work up to 5.5.0, is a SAME RELEASE will work with firmware up to 5.5.0. Am I right? So this work is taking longer than normal, if IOSU just work with 5.3.2 i think was more easy and faster. There was a 1 kernel Exploit working on 5.5.0 that @MN1 said but browser exploit needed to be fixed (i dont know the situation now if you and them find a solution and solved).
I think (my opinion) when your working IOSU 5.5.0 finished, Kernel Exploit and Browser Exploit will be released to 5.5.0.
A method like 3ds gateway to downgrade (software easy to use) firmware can be a good solution if Nintendo release a new firmware and block something.

Last edited by Antonio Ricardo,

soniczx123

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone know anything of how Custom Music for the new stages in Smash Wii U is progressing? Is it possible to replace the tracks on the DLC stages (eg. Dreamland, Suzaku Castle etc.) @soneek has not been so active on his own site or this forum. Is it even possible to replace voice files in Smash Wii U for voice files from Brawl or even really Melee? Thanks for the answer and I hope everything goes well in this scene for the forseeable future!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Mobile app is such absolute dogshit, I haven't used it in SO long
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah mobile versions better people don't think about how apps are just shrunken down websites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be the phone connection etc I've mostly been fine with the app
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Regardless fuck bezos
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Agreed. Crazy how both seeking a job at Amazon, and subsequently quitting Amazon, are both some of the best decisions I've ever made
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did someone loose a leg? You're fired
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs 55gb patch for hogwarts legacy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Teslas are prob running Windows XP to this day.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    sometimes I wonder where I went wrong and why I'm so dissatisfied with my life
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Then I find myself arguing with someone on reddit about how blatantly wrong their understanding of the USB Power Delivery specification is.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    At 1 AM.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Where did I go wrong, again? 😕
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, What do you mean?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, always blame women
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Blame woke.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Blame society.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Woke isn't part of society they woke up from it
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    *spends years yelling "wake up sheeple"
    *acts shocked when they actually wake up
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Make up your mind.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean the government doesn't care? :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have no idea what you're talking about.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The government
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkx4pNi-wvHyf8vhDN0x06Wf8J7aIgx_Hdp