Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Oh who said that? Well it would make sense. They can finally release Wii-U Key then. But It would be fun if people beat them to it with software methods although i can't see it happening (or a free solution, on Wii there was a homemade cable pc-to-drive method before a chip even came out).

Dumping key to screen and avoiding the whole problem of write access would be sorta clever actually. Just annoying.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh who said that? Well it would make sense. They can finally release Wii-U Key then. But It would be fun if people beat them to it with software methods although i can't see it happening (or a free solution, on Wii there was a homemade cable pc-to-drive method before a chip even came out).

Dumping key to screen and avoiding the whole problem of write access would be sorta clever actually. Just annoying.

Assuming it's not a fake, or a prank of some sorts. But it seems legit...

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_fo...r-Image-of-New-Homebrew-App-Utility-for-Wii-U

Weird how this stuff sits for a long time with nothing happening, then it just comes in rapid fire. (I guess it makes sense in that you can't do B-Z with out first figuring out A.)

TheLoneWolfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Maxconsole has very reliable sources though. its annoying i asked specifically if this was the problem with wii-u key like a year ago and the answer was no.. well it clearly was. they needed a softmod to dump the key the entire time. the chips been ready to go for agessss. Just how do you get the common person to access their key. Well here it is. I'm surprised they needed to actually wait for this exploit to turn up before managing to make a key-retriever but it looks like that...

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maxconsole has very reliable sources though. its annoying i asked specifically if this was the problem with wii-u key like a year ago and the answer was no.. well it clearly was. they needed a softmod to dump the key the entire time. the chips been ready to go for agessss. Just how do you get the common person to access their key. Well here it is. I'm surprised they needed to actually wait for this exploit to turn up before managing to make a key-retriever but it looks like that...

I always thought, probably in my ignorance....

That since the chip is sitting in between the drive and the system, that one could load up a legit game so many times while they chip "learned" the drive key. Sort of in a passive mode, then program itself with the drive key.

Probably a lot harder than it sounds.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's also super vague. "Dump Wiiu Key's"? Which Wiiu keys? It looks to me like they just called OSFatal with their "menu screen" and took a picture. Granted, I'm not familiar with maxconsole but I really don't buy it.

They probably mean the per console keys, part 2 of the set needed for a drive key as far as I know. Still need a 3rd key for complete access to everything from what I have read. But only 2 keys are needed to run a drive emulator.

This is assuming I even half way understand any of what I was reading.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Eh i can't say for sure how it works but the drive key i believe is in the drive firmware, it checks the key on startup of the drive hopefully with some heavily encrypted communication with kernel parts of the system when booting, but it doesn't need to actually send the key itself across ever? The drive can 'verify' it matches without actually sending the bytes. (it certainly doesn't dl the fw off the drive every time to heck im sure??) I'm not fully certain i used to read a fair bit and follow the 360 progress early on and luckily in that case you could just pull it off the shitty pc drives used by MS to cut costs with certain commands that dumped the firmware. Things on 360 got more complex later on... in this case the system can pull the drive key apparently (so there's some other hack at work surely usermode can't do that) and maybe even attempt to replace the firmware during updates like 360 eventually could do.

I don't know how Wii worked but apparently this is pretty similar except maybe they can update the firmware on the drive now/? Hopefully the Key has maybe 2 banks to store legit and 'hacked' firmware in case of future countermeasures.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Eh i can't say for sure how it works but the drive key i believe is in the drive firmware, it checks the key on startup of the drive hopefully with some heavily encrypted communication with kernel parts of the system when booting, but it doesn't need to actually send the key itself across ever? The drive can 'verify' it matches without actually sending the bytes. (it certainly doesn't dl the fw off the drive every time to heck im sure??) I'm not fully certain i used to read a fair bit and follow the 360 progress early on and luckily in that case you could just pull it off the shitty pc drives used by MS to cut costs with certain commands that dumped the firmware. Things on 360 got more complex later on... in

this case the system can pull the drive key apparently (so there's some other hack at work surely usermode can't do that) and maybe even attempt to replace the firmware during updates like 360 eventually could do.

I don't know how Wii worked but apparently this is pretty similar except maybe they can update the firmware on the drive now/? Hopefully the Key has maybe 2 banks to store legit and 'hacked' firmware in case of future countermeasures.

To clarify the WiiU key only needs the drive key to work. But it needs a trick to obtain that key on the system. After that the Wii-U can just keep asking the drive 'are you legit' is this a legit disc'? and the drive spoofs every response.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it saves passwords and settings for web pages, and I assume it has to have some sort of cache system for faster web page loading.

I have also read that the first actual homebrew using the exploit is going to be released soon, from the looks of it a Wii-U drive key dumper. So they must either be dumping the key to USB or the SD slot or I would hate to have to write down that long string of letters and numbers.... lol (I guess a camera and OCR would be easier.)

Ahhhh, I remember a time long,long ago were a certain group(that can't/or chooses not to compress an iso) promised folks sdks-o-plenty but,alas that was before alcohol,hookers and the world cup. Don't hold your breath waiting for this release.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the menu is most likely a fake, anyone can edit hello.c to show the exact same thing

I'm with you on this! Unless we actually see a video of it in action or a legitimate release, this could easily be a fake. Anybody with basic C programming skills who knows how to run a webserver/local server could pull this off. It does just appear to be using the OSfatal command that everyone else is using right now. I'm not going to hold my breathe on this one until I see some actual proof.

Reactions: ZeroLimits

pcm720

Trophies
Website
pcm720.me
XP
Country
Russia
I'm with you on this! Unless we actually see a video of it in action or a legitimate release, this could easily be a fake. Anybody with basic C programming skills who knows how to run a webserver/local server could pull this off. It does just appear to be using the OSfatal command that everyone else is using right now. I'm not going to hold my breathe on this one until I see some actual proof.

Totally agree with you. That's what I've done in a couple of minutes.
wiiu.jpg

My C skills are very basic, but I know how printf() works.

Reactions: filfat and Kargaroc

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Come on they have misspellings and everything. It's gotta to be legit. :lol:

Here's proof that it can NOT be done by anyone. I mean left the "U" off of HomeBrewU , corrected punctuation and no shameless plugs,pitiful!

Source:
http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_fo...w-App-Utility-for-Wii-U?p=1708883#post1708883
http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36168&d=1406884822

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
It would be pointless for maxconsole to make this up though... although i am wondering how in usermode you could possibly access a function that could pull the drive key out of the drive firmware unless they also have kernel anyway in which case why suddenly now are they doing this along with the browser exploit? Yes it is easy to fake but consider the source.

the-green

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
it could be a fake but we alla knew this gona happen some day !! no console resist toom much to hackers....
than the most important thing GaryOPA is very very trusted person in the hack scene since many years....he was always the first newser of the PS3 scene !!
many releases that made a real diffrence out there on the PS3 was leaked first by him from many talented hackers around the world !
let's wait & see.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
It would be pointless for maxconsole to make this up though... although i am wondering how in usermode you could possibly access a function that could pull the drive key out of the drive firmware unless they also have kernel anyway in which case why suddenly now are they doing this along with the browser exploit? Yes it is easy to fake but consider the source.

Well, there is a kernel exploit...
About the "Along the browser exploit" part. Not quite sure what you meant so I'm assuming they need a viable entry point?
it could be a fake but we alla knew this gona happen some day !! no console resist toom much to hackers....
than the most important thing GaryOPA is very very trusted person in the hack scene since many years....he was always the first newser of the PS3 scene !!
many releases that made a real diffrence out there on the PS3 was leaked first by him from many talented hackers around the world !
let's wait & see.

Why does he feel the need to leak stuff though?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: :sad: