Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I probably won't use the risky method. For one, I don't get enough opportunities to buy games to justify allowing the use of the eShop, and until the exploit is released and homebrew is developed, all I can really use my Wii U for outside of a few games that I either got for free or came with the console is Youtube.

FM360

Kappa
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I feel like that other people should try to find different exploits in the wii besides the webkit exploit. If this exploit were to get patched, then we would at least have another exploit to use. I don't know when another exploit will be discovered or who will discover this new exploit. This webkit exploit will get patched eventually.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like that other people should try to find different exploits in the wii besides the webkit exploit. If this exploit were to get patched, then we would at least have another exploit to use. I don't know when another exploit will be discovered or who will discover this new exploit. This webkit exploit will get patched eventually.

There aren't that many places on the Wii U that take user-controlled data and give it such a level of control. As I've said before, the browser is our best bet for code execution. A specific bug can be patched, but we can find more.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I very highly doubt that the "garbage" files could get installed to the Wii U. Every file on NUS will be digitally signed by RSA and SHA-1, meaning that the chances of a garbage file being properly signed are approximately 1461501637330902918203684832716300000000000000000 to 1. It should download the garbage, then check the integrity, then delete the files if the signature is invalid and install them if it is valid. For there to be a decent chance of the signature actually being valid, there would need to be around 1.46 * 10^48 Wii Us in use. Now, if Nintendo had sold that many Wii Us, then they would be richer than Microsoft! So, granted it could happen, but the chances are higher that you will get killed in a car accident today! (If you don't believe this, then think about these facts: There are about 100 people killed in car accidents each day. If the odds were really as high as the random file signature being valid, then there should be 1.46 * 10^48 people on the earth, and only one should die in a car accident.)

Yeah, I know that the odds of the checksum being identical are impossibly low, but knowing my luck someone will follow my guide and it will brick their console and they'll try to sue me or something (another extreme case, but you know what I mean). I was just trying to make people aware of potential risks and cover my own ass in the process ;)

But yeah, the reason I'm so cautious about it is because like Cyan has said, the "garbage data/fake update" (call it what you will) actually does make it to the point right before installation before the console actually verifies the file and decides to either keep or delete it. I'm not sure why Nintendo would allow something like that to occur, but they do, so yeah

Another thing that would be interesting if one could somehow manage to get checksums to match up (which I know is next to impossible, especially without knowing what type of checks the Wii U uses, but this would be cool all the same) would be hosting a fake update file containing a CFW that could be downloaded and installed by the console

Antonio Ricardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
5 months without update WIIU is a good or bad sinal to hack scene NWPlayer123?
On 3DS Nintendo always release a update to stop hack scene but i think on WIIU Nintendo lost interest to support the console, the concern is only release games like WII.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5 months without update WIIU is a good or bad sinal to hack scene NWPlayer123?
On 3DS Nintendo always release a update to stop hack scene but i think on WIIU Nintendo lost interest to support the console, the concern is only release games like WII.

I don't think it's a bad sign for the hacking scene, unless Nintendo's spending a lot of time on an update that will fix many vulnerabilities at once. While I don't yet believe Nintendo has lost interest in the Wii U, if they have, it's good news, since we won't have to worry about exploits being patched anymore. If Nintendo is taking long for some other reason (maybe they just don't have anything to do), that's good as well, seeing as we have two working kernel exploits and a browser exploit being developed.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's a bad sign for the hacking scene, unless Nintendo's spending a lot of time on an update that will fix many vulnerabilities at once. While I don't yet believe Nintendo has lost interest in the Wii U, if they have, it's good news, since we won't have to worry about exploits being patched anymore. If Nintendo is taking long for some other reason (maybe they just don't have anything to do), that's good as well, seeing as we have two working kernel exploits and a browser exploit being developed.

Zelda is not even out yet. They will patch away until then at least. Although I doubt they ever really find exploitable things and patch them often, unless they actually have people testing for those sorts of things (which I still doubt).

What the fuck why is ray lewis banned lol?

Probably a long time coming. About time too. But GL on more Updates for this project.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do we think nintendo will preemptively screw up the exploit? Or do it just consequentially? Since nothing was released they don't really have anything to go by right?

spirited one

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They know what it is if they wanna dig through this entire thread :P Some idiot mentioned the function forever ago
I read the last 40 pages of this thread to catch up. A guy said spin something. Didn't he say he worked for Nintendo? Nintendo will know once they can see your codes being used.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since it's been said that to run the other exploits you need a browser is that enough info for them to change the whole thing up? or since this project to me seems like it would be very little on their radar, its not an ode or something. is the idea that once some stuff is released then they will finally update? thats weird to think some nintendo narc reads this forum or thread, can you really see that being a paid job? if they had the inclination gbatemp is harboring screwery couldnt they go all dmca over everything like back in the rom days?

but afterthought they were quick on that smelum ninjahack, then again it was on a bunch of tech news feeds. i mean the first i saw it was on google news.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no point in changing the browser, it's just more work when they have better things to do. I know for a fact they won't go through the trouble of making a new browser just so some skriddies can't run stuff, it won't matter enough to their profits to care. Instead they'll keep quietly patching bugs (assuming there are any new firmwares after this).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to