Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

JVC2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
newersumm This is the deal,the kernel exploit is functional up to the latest update(5.3.2),now,unless you want you develop code on it right now,its not still seen to still be on a lower FW considering we still have a greater access even on the newest FW,that being said,the webkit exploit on less than 5.1.0 gives easy access to such,but after the kernel exploit has been done,im sure a new webkit exploit should follow.

You can check updated info here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-homebrew-situation-and-faq.367627/
(Note that now it doesnt say its not recommended to be on the newest FW possible,but if somehow you want to stay on 5.1.0,you are welcome to do so just because of the one bug found on it and lower FW).

EDIT: Quote from same page:
Currently, we have a userspace exploit that can be compiled and run via the Internet Browser. It currently works on versions 4.0.0 to 5.1.0.This isn't very useful at all for anyone who isn't a developer, however.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
newersumm This is the deal,the kernel exploit is functional up to the latest update(5.3.2),now,unless you want you develop code on it right now,its not still seen to still be on a lower FW considering we still have a greater access even on the newest FW,that being said,the webkit exploit on less than 5.1.0 gives easy access to such,but after the kernel exploit has been done,im sure a new webkit exploit should follow.

You can check updated info here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-homebrew-situation-and-faq.367627/
(Note that now it doesnt say its not recommended to be on the newest FW possible,but if somehow you want to stay on 5.1.0,you are welcome to do so just because of the one bug found on it and lower FW).
No offense JVC2 but I would like to have the developer confirm this. :shy:

Reactions: Gruntzer

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I know it's not the place to ask this kind of user end questions, but my curiosity beat me, I'd wish to know if with this exploit you would be able to overwrite system code, for example disable region lock, allow to transfer saves, enable Wii U pro controller in certain apps, etc... or it has been designed to run in its own enviorement without touching official Nintendo stuff?

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
No offense JVC2 but I would like to have the developer confirm this. :shy:

Its been confirmed by NWPlayer some 10 or times in the past few days and he compared the binaries of OSv11 from NUS. MN1 than concurred with it as did WulfyStylez. Those three have been the main contributors to this thread and the development of the kernel exploit. If thats not confirmation enough than I don't know what is outside of a video demonstrating it.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Updating your Wii U will lock you out of exploits temporarily, but it will not be permanent. The kernel bug has been confirmed to exist in all kernel versions up to 5.3.2, and finding a new WebKit bug is already underway. I'm evaluating WebKit bug candidates.
Thank you Marionumber1, Im already turning on the console.
Is the latest online patch still 5.3.2. or did Nintendo already released new one in a hurry?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's not the place to ask this kind of user end questions, but my curiosity beat me, I'd wish to know if with this exploit you would be able to overwrite system code, for example disable region lock, allow to transfer saves, enable Wii U pro controller in certain apps, etc... or it has been designed to run in its own enviorement without touching official Nintendo stuff?

It depends, even with a kernel exploit you're still pretty sandboxed. You can now break out of the browser and into other apps. You might be able to modify system code in the memory since you can disable memprot now but nothing with the actual binaries. Same with region lock, that's all IOSU, we can't even touch the Starbuck with a kernel exploit. Save transfer won't be possible without an IOSU exploit since you still need the storage keys for your system. Enabling new controllers is possible since most of that should be on the game's side and so you can just patch the code.

Reactions: OriginalHamster

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is only somewhat related, but would it somehow be possible to play Wii Mode games with the GamePad, even ones with no Classic Controller support?

I have absolutely no idea. IDK if you have enough access to replicate cafe2wii, I'd have to look at the SMG2/Metroid Prime Trilogy code to see what all it's doing.

Reactions: Kelton2

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Just a question, is there any way to disable the new (from 5.0.0) automatic updates other than completely deleting internet settings or blocking IPs (my router doesnt have the option)=

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Just a question, is there any way to disable the new (from 5.0.0) automatic updates other than completely deleting internet settings or blocking IPs (my router doesnt have the option)=

disable sleep standby and disable quick start menu

Damieh79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tested Kelton's crash... It crashed my WiiU :D

I'm sorry if I'm asking something I shouldn't have to but would someone mind telling me how kelton2's crash is important or special in any way?

I don't mean any disrespect, it's just that every time I read about this crash working I get excited but maybe it's just "'only" in the crashing state... Like I'm aware of 3 webkit cases that would crash the browser (& couple of heap use aft free that don't crash but I think they work) and I also know about two other crashes I found in google code. But this doesn't mean anything since these are only "candidates" for an exploit (if anyone wants them tell me).

My point is: Is this crash believed/confirmed to be exploitable or something? Or is it still just a mere candidate?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, Last job Ancient went to, he got fired for drinking on the job. +1