Bitbyte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I've just bought a used PAL Wii with the intention of hacking it. When I first booted it up, it was on system menu 4.1E. I didn't think much of it and figured the Wii was not used that much and was never updated past 4.1E. I've just hooked it up to internet to update to 4.3E so I could use LetterBomb, but the Wii does not appear to update. The system update tells me I'm already on the latest version but the version in the system menu is still 4.1E.

What's the best way to proceed here? Can I go ahead and try out BannerBomb?

If BannerBomb works fine, should I use something like Dop Mii to properly update to 4.3?

Deleted member 398281

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I recommend to first check out if the wii is already hacked. Priiloader, for example, can block online updates, so it may not show there's a new update available. Try to start priiloader to know if it's there, or MMM using bannerbomb, to find out if there are any IOSs installed in slots >200. As far as I know, however, you are fine with using the hackmii installer again. That will also show you if BootMii/HBC is already installed. Some people just hide the HBC to let it look like it's not there, you know.
And if everything works fine, you can use sonething like Pimp My Wii to install to the latest Wii Menu. Or just install iOS 58 to get its features without risking to possibly brick your wii.
As I don't know what's going on with your system, could you maybe also post a SysCheck, if you get Bannerbomb to work? Then we can compare and maybe see if there's messed around with your system.

Bitbyte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for the info. In the meanwhile, I went ahead and tried out BannerBomb to see if it'd work. It did! So I've (re)installed the HBC and Priiloader. Next I've installed IOS236, cIOS 249 (base 56), cIOS 250 (base 38) and USB GX. I've also installed d2x cIOS to slot 249 (base 56) / slot 250 (base 57). Everything seems to work fine but I haven't tried out a whole lot of different Wii games.

What's IOS 58 needed for? Does that belong to update 4.3?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What's IOS 58 needed for? Does that belong to update 4.3?
IOS58 has been for many years the most popular IOS for homebrews (replacing 36), due to being the only official one with USB2 drivers
It was first exclusive to a game (using a webcam), then it was bundled with 4.3 - but like any title, it can of course be manually installed separately

Any application can of course select whatever IOS it wants; however in the homebrew world AHBPROT (a title with the correct settings in the tmd can get higher privileges; recent versions of the HBC do indeed this) was figured out mostly at the same time, so to also benefit from AHBPROT the individual homebrews don't usually select an IOS anymore but stick with the one their loader was using

---

Definitely no advantage to doing a full update, in fact 4.2/4.3 (the numbers, strictly speaking, refer only to the wiimenu) are only exploit fixes and even have some less patches in Priiloader

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Deleted member 398281

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yup.
However, I've had some cases where apps didn't use or find it. Taking YAWMM as an example, it didn't detect AHBPROT, so I had to choose an IOS by myself. This may also be in other cases or when using older homebrew. Maybe you'll need it or maybe not, but it couldn't hurt installing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill