Wii Linux (XWhiite 0.2) with working WiFi tutorial

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials & FAQs' started by elmurato, Sep 1, 2009.

Sep 1, 2009

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    MiNI kernels are designed for boot2 exploited wiis.

But this tutorial explains how to run MiNI loader onto a NON-boot1 bugged wii.

I don't have a boot1 exploited wii anymore, the above tests came from a 2009' Wii.

-

Ok guys, you'll need a few things to get it working like it should:

1. Get and install the latest priiloader (0.7)

2. A Unused 2GB,4GB or 8GB card (this tarball's kernel is 2.6.32! So SDHC is expected, according here), I have a 2GB card

3. Any cheap 256MB or more USB Stick (FAT tested, but FAT32 should work too..) to retrieve the tarball/config during the install process.

4. Priiloader (0.7), as there is known there IS a small chance of brick installing priiloader, but I am yet to have a problem with 0.7. Once installed, turn the wii off. While turning it on hold reset button for 3 secs and a white screen should appear. Go to Settings> Change autoboot to: System Menu into Bootmii. Save changes, run HBC (homebrew channel).

5. A USB keyboard, the cheaper it is, the better.

How to:

Plug the USB pendrive, make sure it either has a FAT or FAT32 partition, and 256MB or more free space available, then unzip whiitefullinux.7z (7-zip required) contens in the first USB disk directory (root directory). It has the latest Mikep5 MiNI bundled.

Unzip the apps.7z in the same root directory, so you'll end with a folder called like this: (USBDISK:/apps/whiite-linux-installer-BETA1/boot.dol). Unplug it from your computer (doing the safety USB removal thing, ie: the green arrow listing USB devices in Windows), plug it onto your Wii's 2.0 USB port (the one at bottom), press 1 (or 2) on your wiimote to choose the USB disk from HBC. A wii linux icon should be listed, run it. Then follow the onscreen process..

FAT allocation recommended: 256MB

Note, when the installer finishes (takes a while, be patient) it should create a bootmii folder in your SD card, keep that kernel in a safe place, along the tarball posted.

Get the files here!

PD: If you wish to enable autoboot to System Menu again, repeat this process but reverting Autoboot: Bootmii into System Menu. And, priiloader is a antibrick solution which may save your wii in case of brick.

PD2: Your Wireless card should be listed as Wlan0/1, super user password is "whiite" (su) and wiimote's enabled by default as the cursor, yay!

PD3: Always plug the USB keyboard into the USB #2 port (the one being closer to the Wii's Main Nintendo logo)
    1 people like this.

• Newcomer

-DarkAceZ- New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    No SDHC support?

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page

According to GC-linux team the SDHC support was already added in 2.6.32. So I'll correct this misinformation...

SDHC is supported in this tarball!
    1 people like this.
    • Newcomer

-DarkAceZ- New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Hey, what format should the SD card be? I'm guessing it doesn't matter?

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    The main purpose of the xwhiite installer is to guide/format/config the whole thing... so make sure you have the tarball/kernel/config file along the same xwhiite installer on a external USB FAT partition. The SD card will be formatted -again- by the linux installer.

Also, guess what? Just migrated from kernel 2.6.32 (xwhiite's default) to 2.6.42 edited by farter (the one working on a RGB VFB for the hollywood's wii gpu), he modified the existing Mikep5 Mini and IOS from GC-Linux developers to run his own "VGA Driver"!! .

Check his webpage

Oh, and this guy has a debian based installer as well, with a newer kernel compiled/driver/loader so, darkacez you should take a look at it .. instead this route to make things easier for ya

I took the ol' way, mount the wlan card, recompile the newer kernel, install newer rgb drivers, etc.

1 people like this.
    • Newcomer

-DarkAceZ- New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    • Newcomer

-DarkAceZ- New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    "The installation failed.
    The Epic Failureā„¢ happened while creating the partitions."

That's what your installer says when I try to install it.

[EDIT] LOL : embarrassed: Now I see why it's called the Epic Failure!! I HAD MY CARD LOCKED!!! XD
    • Newcomer

-DarkAceZ- New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Hey, it still didn't work... It said everything installed correctly, then it rebooted, and since priiloader was set to boot bootmii on startup it did, then when Linux started I did su then ifup wlan0 and it still didn't work... Exactly the same... Doesn't notice the Wifi hardware...

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    Try console:

su

password: whiite

# modprobe b43 (this initializes the wireless card)

then

# iwconfig (it'll show you the wlan card detected)

then

#ifup wlanx (x depending on the number of the wlan card detected, ie: wlan0)

if DHCPDISCOVER has sometimeouts then your card was detected!

You can also take pictures *after these steps*.

/etc/network/interfaces (with nano editor) is a MUST to config wireless connections (login as su first)

-

About farter's webpage, it offers you a custom installer (newer than this one) which let you enable a experimental (better) VGA driver, and a graphical environment (like the tarball I posted).

PS:

WARNING! Spoilers inside!
    1 people like this.
    • Newcomer

-DarkAceZ- New Member

Message Count:
    United States

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    you got it recognized all the time

WLAN1 IS YOUR CARD

i've been saying this like 5 times T_T.

• Newcomer

-DarkAceZ- New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Whaaat? I tried ifup wlan1 and all it says is "Ignoring unknown interface wlan1=wlan1." Is there something else I need to do? Also, thanks for helping me with this!

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    Open console:

-su

-pass: whiite

xwhiite# cd ..

xwhiite# cd ..

xwhiite# cd ..

xwhiite# cd .. (yeah four times)

xwhiite# cd /etc

xwhiite/etc/# cd /network

xwhiite/etc/network# nano interfaces

**delete everything onscreen**

then put (if you have a WEP configured router, if you have a WPA or more, check the first page of this topic then edit this file accordingly):

auto wlan1
    iface wlan1 inet dhcp

wireless-essid ESSID (ie: Home )
    wireless-key s:ascii-password (ie:Thing)

then ctrl + x: (SAVE CHANGES??)

press Y.

type:

# reboot now

wireless should work now.

Because wlan1 even if detected, isn't listed in the above file you're editing. This file manages network profiles, so if you don't do the steps as described wireless(or ethernet devices) won't work.
    • Newcomer

-DarkAceZ- New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yeah, I just noticed I'm going to have to do that. Just a minute while I test it...
    • Newcomer

-DarkAceZ- New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Alright!! You're my hero!!
    "ifup wlan1
    ifup: interface wlan1 already configured"
    Thanks!!
    OK, now you were talking about a kernel from farter? Will I need a new tarball too? I'd like to get it, but what exactly does it do?

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    OMG not again T_T

XD jk I love these kind of experiments. See, "uname -r" (as root) will give you the current kernel version. 2.3.32 to be exact.

This tarball came with a modified vga driver to work with hollywood chip, namely xcube driver. There's a newer vfb kernel which performs better colours, and some other stuff, but it requires:

A new loader (MiNI or IOS, provided by Farter in the blog posted before), compile a new kernel (requires updating lenny to 2.3.42), then editing the main X desktop environment file.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Make sure you got all things right, I mean, how to install stuff, change repositories, etc before doing this.
    1 people like this.
    • Newcomer

-DarkAceZ- New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    lol IKR not again XD!
    Okay, we've done the xorg.conf editing before... What's the new loader thing? And wouldn't a new loader mean the same thing as a new kernel?

"Make sure you got all things right, I mean, how to install stuff, change repositories, etc before doing this." I already downloaded Nautilus through Synaptic if that's what you mean. (And I got past the "There is no public key for the following ID" error too)

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    A bootloader:
    (they initialize the target hardware to load a certain OS)
    //ie linux booter as IOS or MiNI

A kernel:
    (the kernel is the OS's heart)
    //ie debian kernel version: 2.3.32 .

Oh I see, then you added the required keys to get data from different servers.

Do some read on the blog then, everything is quite detailed there, even from the Q & A section.
    1 people like this.
    • Newcomer

-DarkAceZ- New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm guessing there isn't an installer that I just launch and after that I'm done like last time, right? Or do I just download the installer, and it does everything except the xorg and the wifi?

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    LoL! just noticed you like my posts! c:

Uhm... I'm about to test the farter's installer. It seems better suitable to perform a kernel install from scratch. Because he gently added a networking distro (the minimal stuff to help you get started in console mode) and some other options (like a small SD/USB device partition software).

If you ever have the wireless disabled, use "su modprobe 43" and it'll mount the wlan card for you. To get the new framebuffer drivers (namely, video drivers) you'll need to read the blog; everything's well explained =p
    1 people like this.

SPONSORED LINKS