Hacking Wii Game Manager

DanWiiffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is looking good. Not as good (yet) as Wiithon (Linux only) but could be as good.

Couple of features missing:
*Fat32 and NTFS drive support (like Wii Backup Manager)
*WiiTDB Description and categorization (like Wiithon)
*Support for part rar files
*Drive 2 Drive copy (i think wbfs_file already does this so just need the menu).
*A more efficient way to cancel and manage tasks.

For WiiTDB it's quite simple just parse the xml file and present the info.

PJIV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I use this, I can not ge the WBFS partition to be loaded no matter whatI do. I have some suggestions that may help...

It appears that the you are mounting the FIRST unknown formatted partition, this on my system is my bootmnager Bootit next generation partition, following that I have my XP partition that is hidden from Vista to prevent restore point trouble.

I think it would be best to ALLOW a selecting to the WBFS partition or just mount the first RAW file system not unknown since Windows sees the WBFS as RAW and the other partitions as {nothing} I got this info from Windows Disk Managerment.

Simply put WBFS Manager works, this does not. But it looks promising.

pccfatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PJIV said:
When I use this, I can not ge the WBFS partition to be loaded no matter whatI do. I have some suggestions that may help...

It appears that the you are mounting the FIRST unknown formatted partition, this on my system is my bootmnager Bootit next generation partition, following that I have my XP partition that is hidden from Vista to prevent restore point trouble.

I think it would be best to ALLOW a selecting to the WBFS partition or just mount the first RAW file system not unknown since Windows sees the WBFS as RAW and the other partitions as {nothing} I got this info from Windows Disk Managerment.

This should show all unknown partitions, if it does not(I only had one drive to test with) I don't know why.
I will look at the partition code tonight when I get home from work and see if I can determine why only one partition is showing up. Sorry bout that, I'll fix it.

pccfatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanWiiffy said:
This is looking good. Not as good (yet) as Wiithon (Linux only) but could be as good.

*Drive 2 Drive copy (i think wbfs_file already does this so just need the menu).

Could you elaborate on what you consider Fat32 and NTFS support, others have said it is not supported as well, I'm not sure what you guys are looking for as NTFS and Fat32 are supported inherently.

I will look into wiitdb description stuff, never had anyone ask before

I have a rar/zip/7z routine written for the program, however it is giving me nightmares at the moment and has been put on the back burner

I have already added the functions for drive to drive copy. Well I have added the ability to select titles not in/on folder/drive(x) for all types .wbfs, .iso, and WBFS Partition. They should be included in the version I will release tonight.

Managing tasks will be available as soon as I can test it more to make sure it doesn't screw up someones drive. Copying to a WBFS partition and stopping it in the middle of the transfer is not a good idea.

Ed

DanWiiffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PJIV said:

Ha, it works maybe not in your peculiar case. But i do agree that a different way to handle partitions would be preferable.

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
oggzee said:
wbfs_file 2.6 should fix the problem of copying .wbfs files to WBFS partitions.
wbfs_file.exe can be copied to the game manager directory and it will be used instead of the built-in 2.5 version.
TeenTin: does this pass your test now?
Please test
smile.gif

It is working fine now. Thanks oggzee.
happy.gif

DanWiiffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
pccfatman said:
DanWiiffy said:

Could you elaborate on what you consider Fat32 and NTFS support, others have said it is not supported as well, I'm not sure what you guys are looking for as NTFS and Fat32 are supported inherently.

I will look into wiitdb description stuff, never had anyone ask before

I have a rar/zip/7z routine written for the program, however it is giving me nightmares at the moment and has been put on the back burner

I have already added the functions for drive to drive copy. Well I have added the ability to select titles not in/on folder/drive(x) for all types .wbfs, .iso, and WBFS Partition. They should be included in the version I will release tonight.

Managing tasks will be available as soon as I can test it more to make sure it doesn't screw up someones drive. Copying to a WBFS partition and stopping it in the middle of the transfer is not a good idea.

Ed

Ed, i really appreciate all the work you have put into this and i have high hopes that this will be a great Wii game manager. Looking forward to download the next releases.

Regarding Fat32/NTFS support - I and i guess many other users have Fat32 and NTFS formatted drives. So perhaps this is a workflow issue and not a real technical issue. I load my iso files using the .Iso files, and i then want to transfer these files as WBFS files to my Fat32/NTFS partition, i select the files and use the Create WBFS files with subdirectory in my FAT32 drive, but there is also the add files to WBFS Partition. I figured that this feature is already implemnted it just may not be very straightforward to use the way i have used other managers. It's just a different way, so no problem. To me there should be a simple transfer to Wii HDD function that takes care of the details, but it's not a real issue, i am just used to doing things in a diff way. Test Wiithon if you have the time, to get an idea of the workflow they use.

WiiTDB support would be great. It's something i really miss from Wiithon in Windows

I keep mentioning Wiithon because to me it's the best and easiest to use, the only downside is that it's for Linux only (not 10y old kid friendly) and there is no support for Fat32/NTFS HDDs you have to use a WBFS partition. So i have great hope that there will be something that is as good on windows. Also you may consider putting your game manager on the Wiki http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?title=WBFS_Managers

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

T

TheGlow

just wanna say thanks, love this app.
I noticed when it converts my isos to wbfs its only using the game partition. Ive seen others have 1:1 copy, keep only game partition or delete update partition.
what kind of games have something other than game and update partitions?

Also I dont know how this is programmed but whats the chances of a different folder explorer?
i keep getting new rips/isos onto my pc and i have to keep loading the folder by clicked and expanding the trees. I was never fond of the explorer/tree type of window.
no chance one where I can just flat out type d:\wbfsfiles\ and take me where i want to go?

other than that, good play old chap.

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
pccfatman said:
Things are moving along nicely, will try and get a release soon

Good. I am ready to perform the following test :

Phase 1

ISO -> .wbfs -> WBFS drive -> .wbfs
ISO -> WBFS drive -> .wbfs

Compare all .wbfs files.

Phase 2

.wbfs -> ISO
WBFS drive -> ISO

Compare all ISOs (including original).

Hatsu

Someone's been killing, eh?
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pccfatman said:
Hatsu said:
pccfatman said:
Hatsu said:
It won't read my USB Drive. It picks it up, but doesn't read it.

What is the format of the drive, ntfs, fat, WBFS?

For ntfs or fat you need to use open .wbfs or open .iso
for WBFS "Partition/Drive" you need to use open WBFS Partition

It is WBFS. I tried that. Didn't work.

try using the wbfs_file command line app
Use: wbfs_file.exe x: ls - Where x: is your wbfs drive letter

Post the output, does it list your games or something else?

I get a list of games:
CODE
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Hatsu>cd C:\Documents and Settings\Hatsu\My Documents\
Downloads\wbfs_file_2.6_win32\wbfs_file_2.6

C:\Documents and Settings\Hatsu\My Documents\Downloads\wbfs_file_2.6_win32\wbfs_
file_2.6>wbfs_file.exe f: ls -
RPBE01 : Pokemon Battle RevolutionÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ1.00G
010E01 : Wii BackupDiscÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0.02G
RMCP01 : MarioKartWiiÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 2.80G
RSPP01 : SPORTS PACK for REVOLUTIONÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0.70G
RNXPDA : NARUTO Clash of Ninja Revolution EUROPEAN VERSION 1.39G
RZTP01 : WSP2 EU(P)ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0.99G
R64P01 : RVL Wii MusicÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ0.15G
RLPP69 : LITTLEST PET SHOPÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ1.44G
RHAP01 : PARTY PACK for REVOLUTIONÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ0.19G
RSBP01 : Super Smash Bros. BrawlÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ6.77G
RF8P69 : FIFA 08ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ3.85G
RFNP01 : RVL Wii FitÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ1.46G
SMNP01 : WiiMusicÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0.37G

wbfs total: 268.08G used: 21.22G free: 246.86G

pccfatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheGlow said:
just wanna say thanks, love this app.
I noticed when it converts my isos to wbfs its only using the game partition. Ive seen others have 1:1 copy, keep only game partition or delete update partition.
what kind of games have something other than game and update partitions?

Also I dont know how this is programmed but whats the chances of a different folder explorer?
i keep getting new rips/isos onto my pc and i have to keep loading the folder by clicked and expanding the trees. I was never fond of the explorer/tree type of window.
no chance one where I can just flat out type d:\wbfsfiles\ and take me where i want to go?

other than that, good play old chap.
Look in the options under "copy options" you can change from copy game only to "all" or 1:1

I am focusing on the current interface at the moment, I may look into other possibilities at a later time when I run out of things to do
smile.gif

pccfatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hatsu said:
pccfatman said:
Hatsu said:
pccfatman said:
Hatsu said:
It won't read my USB Drive. It picks it up, but doesn't read it.

What is the format of the drive, ntfs, fat, WBFS?

For ntfs or fat you need to use open .wbfs or open .iso
for WBFS "Partition/Drive" you need to use open WBFS Partition

It is WBFS. I tried that. Didn't work.

try using the wbfs_file command line app
Use: wbfs_file.exe x: ls - Where x: is your wbfs drive letter

Post the output, does it list your games or something else?

I get a list of games:
CODE
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Hatsu>cd C:\Documents and Settings\Hatsu\My Documents\
Downloads\wbfs_file_2.6_win32\wbfs_file_2.6

C:\Documents and Settings\Hatsu\My Documents\Downloads\wbfs_file_2.6_win32\wbfs_
file_2.6>wbfs_file.exe f: ls -
RPBE01 : Pokemon Battle RevolutionÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ1.00G
010E01 : Wii BackupDiscÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0.02G
RMCP01 : MarioKartWiiÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 2.80G
RSPP01 : SPORTS PACK for REVOLUTIONÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0.70G
RNXPDA : NARUTO Clash of Ninja Revolution EUROPEAN VERSION 1.39G
RZTP01 : WSP2 EU(P)ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0.99G
R64P01 : RVL Wii MusicÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ0.15G
RLPP69 : LITTLEST PET SHOPÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ1.44G
RHAP01 : PARTY PACK for REVOLUTIONÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ0.19G
RSBP01 : Super Smash Bros. BrawlÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ6.77G
RF8P69 : FIFA 08ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ3.85G
RFNP01 : RVL Wii FitÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ1.46G
SMNP01 : WiiMusicÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0.37G

wbfs total: 268.08G used: 21.22G free: 246.86G

Well, I am completely confused then, my program calls the same app "wbfs_file" to process that list, there should be no reason whatsoever that it should fail if wbfs_file is reading the drive properly. I have been over the code several times and can't find any reson for this.

When you choose "Open WBFS Partition" and the drive selection comes up is your WBFS drive listed in the window? If so then I am even more confused as that windows is also generated by wbfs_file.exe

Hatsu

Someone's been killing, eh?
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pccfatman said:
Well, I am completely confused then, my program calls the same app "wbfs_file" to process that list, there should be no reason whatsoever that it should fail if wbfs_file is reading the drive properly. I have been over the code several times and can't find any reson for this.

When you choose "Open WBFS Partition" and the drive selection comes up is your WBFS drive listed in the window? If so then I am even more confused as that windows is also generated by wbfs_file.exe

Yes, it is. After I click OK, nothing happens.

pccfatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't think I will get another version out tonight, it is getting late and I have a few problems to work out before release. I'll try and get some more done tomorrow after work and hopefully get a release out.

Thanks to everyone who enjoys the program, it's nice that someone finds it useful

Ed

PJIV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pccfatman said:
PJIV said:

This should show all unknown partitions, if it does not(I only had one drive to test with) I don't know why.
I will look at the partition code tonight when I get home from work and see if I can determine why only one partition is showing up. Sorry bout that, I'll fix it.

I don't ever get a choice! There is no requester opening on my Vista machine at all. Wait! Okay, it's working now, have to run as an Administrator on Vista :-( why is this? WBFS does not require that!

pccfatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PJIV said:
pccfatman said:
PJIV said:

I don't ever get a choice! There is no requester opening on my Vista machine at all. Wait! Okay, it's working now, have to run as an Administrator on Vista :-( why is this? WBFS does not require that!

I have written the program with system access so I dont have to mess with all that windows security crap. I am not interested in learning how windows security works, I just wanted to create and run my program.
I may look into this more in the future to prevent future confusion.

pccfatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pip_X said:
Feature Request: Copy/Rip game straight from Disc to .wbfs

This will never happen with this program unless it is directly supported by wbfs_file.exe

This program is a GUI for that command line app and any direct access with Wii discs and WBFS Partitions is done using that program.
The only exception to that is the routines I wrote to check that the files have magic and retrieving the gameID and Title.

Ed

PJIV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pccfatman said:
PJIV said:
pccfatman said:
PJIV said:

I have written the program with system access so I dont have to mess with all that windows security crap. I am not interested in learning how windows security works, I just wanted to create and run my program.
I may look into this more in the future to prevent future confusion.

That's fine but you should have stated that in your readme. None the less it's very nice! I'm going to use this from now on. Keep up the good work!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill