Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Maybe you are right, but CERTAINLY NOT with your Windows story. You are talking about Windows XP, but Windows/M$ is so big as they are now is purely the cause of very good marketing. Their Windows(/dos) system wasn't nearly as userfriendly as Mac's system. Besides that...in 1985 no one had Internet...and NO ONE had cd-burners.

Windows XP just sells good because it is a more stable version of all previous Windows versions AND it is compatible with them. Also the amount of software that is available for Windows is 1000 times bigger than for Apple's for example.
Even Atari had already GUI windows so "user friendly" existed way before windows learned how to move.

capt.fruitcake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Take windows for example. How the hell an unstable system like that became so famous?

1- It was user friendly (1 click and you got the job done-apart from the blue screens of death
tongue.gif
)
2- All the home users had the choice to just get a copy of the OS and just install it without paying it

Now Microsoft is the biggest company ever. They used piracy to get where they are now. That was one of the smartest moves EVER.
bow.gif

That thought applies also in the console world. Many people don't give a f*ck to buy games. They just want a user-friendly-hackable console/1 time pay and all games free. Those users, apart that they are illegal, they also represent a VERY big piece of buyers. Sony understood that and playstation 1 and 2 was a big success. Nintendo didn't, and Gamecube wasn't so successfull (even if N didn't lose money, they could make more, that's what a company wants after all--->profit).

The "play backup games" thing is very important to sell consoles. At least that's what recent years told us.

I have the feeling that I'm repeating myself so I'll stop.
tongue.gif

p.s. I'm not supporting the "not paying for games" thing. I'm just presenting some facts (let's hear the objections now
tongue.gif

laugh.gif
)

(sorry for crappy english)

Maybe you are right, but CERTAINLY NOT with your Windows story. You are talking about Windows XP, but Windows/M$ is so big as they are now is purely the cause of very good marketing. Their Windows(/dos) system wasn't nearly as userfriendly as Mac's system. Besides that...in 1985 no one had Internet...and NO ONE had cd-burners.

Windows XP just sells good because it is a more stable version of all previous Windows versions AND it is compatible with them. Also the amount of software that is available for Windows is 1000 times bigger than for Apple's for example.

Ha ha ha ha ha windows 95 was in cd version and floppy disc version. oh and before internet there was arpa ne and before that computer clubs a.k.a. sneaker net.

Lacrimosa

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You are talking about Windows XP, but Windows/M$ is so big as they are now is purely the cause of very good marketing. Their Windows(/dos) system wasn't nearly as userfriendly as Mac's system. Besides that...in 1985 no one had Internet...and NO ONE had cd-burners.

I'm talking about windows 3.11, 95, 98 etc.

Also, before the cd-burners, we all had floppy drives (see windows 95 for example).
tongue.gif

Yes, I agree for windows xp. But how about the previous windows versions? They were buggy as hell.
laugh.gif
The fact that they were an "all around" operating system and they were pirated made them so big.

Apple's software has nothing to do with this. Mac OS is for using it with certain hardware items (not 1.000 different graphics cards, 500 sound cards and 2.000 cd/dvd roms). The fact that they were made only to be used with Apple's hardware, made them so stable.

The main point remains: some companies found a way to use piracy so that they can actually make money. I hope that Nintendo won't fall to the trap that made with Gamecube and follow Sony's strategy. I think you can agree that it's better someone give money for the Wii, even if he's not going to pay for games, than the option to buy xbox 360 because there he can play "backups". To THOSE consumers I'm reffering. Not to those who will buy the games. And those people are a big part of the whole "pie" that Nintendo must have.
wink.gif

Hellfenix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think that this is a great breakthrough, sending a small ASSEMBLY app into the DVD drive's ram might allow us to do something with the firmware. Maybe there are specific codes that can be run from the DVD drive itself to write to it's firmware.

[Edit]Also, I forgot to mention that this is to be used with the Wii still all hooked up. So you can probably temper with stuff in the DVD drive's ram while it is in use to run code somehow.[/edit]

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im pretty sure i did something like this to my PC dvd drive to make it fully region free. Is anyone thinking what i am?

-region free
-Play DVDS

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whoever said that Nintendo want people to hack the wii just so its more popular is crazy... Nintendo don't make much profit from the sales of the actual consoles. Most consoles are sold at a loss, we all know that. Its the games and accessories that make the money. GC was hacked, didnt do anything for it.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Whoever said this will make nintendos profits rise is wrong. Think about, out of the 3.5 mil of wii owners how many actually know about piracy? Not that many my guess is about 5% if less. Nintendo are making profits from wiis anyways, the cost to make a wii is about $150 USD

opcode32

powerh8er par excellence
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
more piracy --> less software sales --> less profit for 3rd party companies --> less interest to develop for wii --> less 3rd party support --> less games --> less sold wii units & less licensing fees (which make most of the profit anyway) --> less $$$ for nintendo

One sentence: "Sony playstation 1 and 2". You are saying that because of the piracy, playstation 2 had less 3rd party support?
wink.gif
Think again.

no, i am actually saying you can't claim that the ps1/2 sold so well because of piracy either. neither me nor you do know how much more (or less) profit the playstation could've generated without piracy. fact is that most of the revenue comes from licensing fees, not actually hardware sales (even tho nintendo actually makes a profit of these unlike sony/ms).
the dreamcast was prolly one of the easiest consoles to pirate ever and due to this it was also one of most selling ... oh, well ... nevermind that.

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Whoever said this will make nintendos profits rise is wrong. Think about, out of the 3.5 mil of wii owners how many actually know about piracy? Not that many my guess is about 5% if less. Nintendo are making profits from wiis anyways, the cost to make a wii is about $150 USD
Source?
All I have heard obout this is conjecture. Some say the wii makes nintendo 4 dollars per system, others 200. (USD, of course) As of now I am inclined to believe that they only make around 10 dollars a system, which wouldn't be that huge.

On TOPIX: Modchip out = firmware hax soon.

modshroom128

Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
would nintendo not learn from microsofts mistakes and make it impossible to do the same as the 360???

Are you so sure this was a "mistake" by microsoft?
wink.gif
I'm not.

I think that Nintendo learned that a console that is very hard to play backups (see Gamecube) is not going to sell that much. Many people is interested having a console and playing backups. They won't bother bying a console that can't do that. So if we have a firmware update on Wii that allows playing backups, then Nintendo will give a reason for many people to buy this console. THIS is marketing (see Microsoft's windows. How easy it was all these years to just copy them and use them and playstation 1/xbox.).

The good in the thing I mentioned is: more consoles sold ---> nintendo will do more sales ---> more money for N ---> more games will come.
happy.gif

At least that's what I think. Piracy exists (either we like it or not), the companies are very well aware of it and they know how to use it.

My 2 eurocents.
tongue.gif

thats like saying 9/11 was run by the us goverment

idiot

MyNameIsBoB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would nintendo not learn from microsofts mistakes and make it impossible to do the same as the 360???

Are you so sure this was a "mistake" by microsoft?
wink.gif
I'm not.

I think that Nintendo learned that a console that is very hard to play backups (see Gamecube) is not going to sell that much. Many people is interested having a console and playing backups. They won't bother bying a console that can't do that. So if we have a firmware update on Wii that allows playing backups, then Nintendo will give a reason for many people to buy this console. THIS is marketing (see Microsoft's windows. How easy it was all these years to just copy them and use them and playstation 1/xbox.).

The good in the thing I mentioned is: more consoles sold ---> nintendo will do more sales ---> more money for N ---> more games will come.
happy.gif

At least that's what I think. Piracy exists (either we like it or not), the companies are very well aware of it and they know how to use it.

My 2 eurocents.
tongue.gif

thats like saying 9/11 was run by the us goverment

idiot

You'd be surprised in how many people believe that.

Flozem

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whoever said that Nintendo want people to hack the wii just so its more popular is crazy... Nintendo don't make much profit from the sales of the actual consoles. Most consoles are sold at a loss, we all know that. Its the games and accessories that make the money. GC was hacked, didnt do anything for it.

I've read enough articles on the NDS and Wii to know that at least Nintendo makes some cash off the hardware sales... Think about it - they're not using inferior processor and ram technology for naught. They've managed to bring new gameplay, yes, but the processing power pales in comparison to a PSP or XBOX360.

Though that said, I sincerely doubt that N promotes hackability of their hardware. Yes they make profit on the systems, but they are still depending on gamesales for most of their profit.

My guess is they are use the savings / profit on the hardware to develop games with superior gameplay and to broaden their target group (think Braintraining). This in the end, will make a console sell - opening up the possibility of even more sales...
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land