Hardware Wii Console Brick: Low Level Brick.

Vmac_attack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi, I need Help to fix my Wii Console that is currently somehow suffering from a Low Level Brick (LLB).

THE STORY:

Eight months ago I bought a pre owned Wii console and HomeBrewed it, installed BootMii as both Boot 2& IOS, installed PriiLoader and did a nand backup and installed a wii theme.
Later on in the future I refined my knowledge and installed CIOS d2xv8final in slots 249/base56, 250/base57, and 251/base58, all with 65535, so that everything including the Wii theme would be more stable (unless I'm wrong).

Long story short, I solved more game-related problems and I have been enjoying my Wii console ever since and it has been working fine. But I noticed that for a whole week before the Low Level Brick happened, the console been booting itself into BootMii whenever I would turn it on and because I was lazy and just
Wanted to play games and I didn't think to any reasearch on why my console started this type of behaviour. The last time I tried to turn on my Wii Console, it wouldn't turn on, it bricked.

Whenever I tried to turn it on again, the LED went from green straight back to red. I tried turning it on with the Wii remote but it did the same thing.
I even tried disconnecting the power adapter from the console and the power point for at least 2 minutes and then tried turning it on again, but it did the same thing, from green straight back to red. If I repetitively press the power button on and off for the console, the LED just turns itself off completely but luckily, when I disconnect the power adapter from the console and put it back in the console, the LED comes back on.

If a Low Level Brick were to happen because part of the Wii console's boot process is missing or damaged, how the F did I do that to my Wii console!? Unless I didn't load a NAND backup at the necessary time that my console needed it? And the Wii theme that I installed months ago, was that making the system menu fail? and was that "system menu failing" triggering BootMii to load?

Can any one help me with this please?

IF THERE ARE ANY IMPORTANT DETAILS THAT I AM MISSING OR NEED TO EXPLAIN IN GREATER DETAIL FROM THE INFORMATION ABOVE, THAT COULD OR WILL BE ABLE TO HELP ME FIX THIS, PLEASE NOTIFY ME ASAP. thanks

Last edited by Vmac_attack,

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Long story short, I solved more game-related problems and I have been enjoying my Wii console ever since and it has been working fine. But I noticed that for a whole week before the Low Level Brick happened, the console been booting itself into BootMii whenever I would turn it on and because I was lazy and just
Wanted to play games and I didn't think to any reasearch on why my console started this type of behaviour
Hello,

I just said to try:

rename "bootmii" to ==> bootm on your SD and see the result
??
try to re-inject your Nand backup and see the result?

Vmac_attack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello,

I just said to try:

rename "bootmii" to ==> bootm on your SD and see the result
??
try to re-inject your Nand backup and see the result?

It worked for a fraction of a second. It started the disc drive for half a second, but then it turns itself off completely.
Thank you for the suggestion.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Showing BootMii at startup is normal (and good) if the BootMii is installed to boot2 and the files are present on the SD.
It sounds like hardware damage to me. If this is a case of "It worked perfectly yesterday. I turned it off and the next day it would not turn on again.", how should a software related brick appear? And: Even a fully software bricked Wii should turn on/stay on green LED. There might be no signal with a softbrick (not even black screen), but it should stay on.

For the unlikely case that the power adapter went bad you should try a different one.
The Wii consoles are aging, especially those compatible with BootMii in boot2 aren't young anymore.

Fortunately Wii consoles aren't that expensive (yet) although 2020 changed it a bit for the worse.

Good luck anyway!

Reactions: jeannotte

Vmac_attack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Showing BootMii at startup is normal (and good) if the BootMii is installed to boot2 and the files are present on the SD.
It sounds like hardware damage to me. If this is a case of "It worked perfectly yesterday. I turned it off and the next day it would not turn on again.", how should a software related brick appear? And: Even a fully software bricked Wii should turn on/stay on green LED. There might be no signal with a softbrick (not even black screen), but it should stay on.

For the unlikely case that the power adapter went bad you should try a different one.
The Wii consoles are aging, especially those compatible with BootMii in boot2 aren't young anymore.

Fortunately Wii consoles aren't that expensive (yet) although 2020 changed it a bit for the worse.

Good luck anyway!

Hi, I tried your suggestion with the power adapter but unfortunately it still didn't work.
Thankyou so much for the information and the suggestion.

Would you by any chance know someone who is able to identify the possible hardware problem?
Thanks.

brenden1

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.brendeniscool.tech
XP
Country
United States
i know this is an old thread, but a possible problem could be the bluetooth or wi-fi modules. bricks like this can happen if either of them go bad.
since they're some of the most used parts in a wii, it's not unusual for them to have gone bad, especially in a wii of that age.
unfortunately, that means the only way you can really fix it is by replacing the bad board, though, i'm not sure how you'd narrow down which one to replace.
one more thing before all that:
do you have your bootmii files on a 2 gb or less sd card?
bootmii can have problems loading its files off of sd cards larger than 2 gb. if you aren't already using an sd card of that size or smaller, try that. if all else fails, it's probably the wifi/bluetooth.

toxic_dumpster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
like brenden asid yes it can be the bluetooth/wifi module (why its so easy to break, WHYYY) they are the weakest hardware part on the wii (at least for me) try replacing them

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
Doubt OP will see this but as people mentioned above, it is most likeley the bluetooth/wifi cards, had a wii fail because the bluetooth module decided to stop working, wii's will refuse to boot if either of them aren't present.

Vmac_attack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i know this is an old thread, but a possible problem could be the bluetooth or wi-fi modules. bricks like this can happen if either of them go bad.
since they're some of the most used parts in a wii, it's not unusual for them to have gone bad, especially in a wii of that age.
unfortunately, that means the only way you can really fix it is by replacing the bad board, though, i'm not sure how you'd narrow down which one to replace.
one more thing before all that:
do you have your bootmii files on a 2 gb or less sd card?
bootmii can have problems loading its files off of sd cards larger than 2 gb. if you aren't already using an sd card of that size or smaller, try that. if all else fails, it's probably the wifi/bluetooth.
like brenden asid yes it can be the bluetooth/wifi module (why its so easy to break, WHYYY) they are the weakest hardware part on the wii (at least for me) try replacing them
Doubt OP will see this but as people mentioned above, it is most likeley the bluetooth/wifi cards, had a wii fail because the bluetooth module decided to stop working, wii's will refuse to boot if either of them aren't present.

Hey guys, its been a while since i've been active so I apologise for my absence.
Thank you for your contributions, I really appreciate it.

@brenden1, unfortunatley I don't have an SDcard with 2GB or less, but my 64GB and 16GB SDcards have never encountered that problem with BootMii. But thanks for pointing that out, that could have been the problem😃👍.

When I order and receive both modules, We shall see what happens!
Once again, thank you for your contributions!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye