Hacking Wii backup Manager for Windows

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
It uses the Wii disc's internal hashes to verify that every file can be decrypted correctly. If the disc passes this test then it means that every file used by the game is 100% intact.

If there's no errors reading the disc structure/partitions and it passes the SHA-1 test, the disc should be good. Just running the SHA-1 test will tell you this.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! Over the years I've had games that were ripped onto a wbfs partition, then eventually copied to wbfs partition on another hard drive, then another, then converted to wbfs files on another hard drive, so I always wondered if I had picked up a corruption somewhere.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have one question and I can't find the answer in the first post. What does the option "full scrubbing"-mode do? I thought wbfs-files get scrubbed anyway...

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If i change the colors though in the settings menu though it does not take effect at all.

I change everything to show black for the color but yet everything remains blue.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sorry about that, I got distracted when I was reading your message. I popped back and sent my message without getting a chance to fully read your post again. It can get a bit hectic here at times..

There's a little bug from when I changed WiiTDB to GameTDB. You'll notice that the entry for the title colour uses WiiTDB, where my code expects it to be GameTDB, so it wasn't working correctly. Simply changing that text to GameTDB fixed it. I'll post an exe here soon..

About the settings.ini. Was this the only option that was ignored? When you copy the old ini file to the new folder, make sure WBM isn't running because it'll overwrite it when you quit the app. I can't think of any other reason for the settings to be ignored, not all of them.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it was running while i transferred the file over.

I also checked the last settings.ini from the previous build you released and it didn't have some of my settings remembered either from earlier settings.ini files.
I believe though i just forgot to copy one over to the new one at some point and that's what caused the issue.

roubagalinhas

Trophies
XP
Country
It uses the Wii disc's internal hashes to verify that every file can be decrypted correctly. If the disc passes this test then it means that every file used by the game is 100% intact.

If there's no errors reading the disc structure/partitions and it passes the SHA-1 test, the disc should be good. Just running the SHA-1 test will tell you this.

now that you mention this, it is better than the MD5 check, right?

redia

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
now that you mention this, it is better than the MD5 check, right?
it is much better than MD5.
for multiple reasons :
1- md5 had to be calculated on a working disc.. and was used to compare a copy later
2- if I am not mistaken md5 was tied to the size of HD because it was somehow linked to the cluster size or something like that.. so comparing a perfect copy on two different devices could lead to some weird things... maybe this has been solved but I am not sure.
3- md5 only checked the validity of the entire disc while sha checks the content

I wonder (if my assumption are right) why fig is keeping the md5... maybe he can clarify that.

Cheers,
R

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
What you said is spot on as usual. :)

There's a few other drawbacks with my MD5 hashes.

1. If you change the title in the Wii Disc, the hash changes.
2. The hash is different depending on the partitions. eg. a game with an update partition will have a different hash to the same game without it.

The MD5 could be classed as depreciated and will be removed some point. I just wanted to make sure the SHA-1 test was working perfectly first and I did mess up the first couple of releases that had the SHA-1 test. :)

A few thoughts on the new features..

I've decided that rewriting so much of the code for the transfer queue would be a waste of time. I'm sticking with the old acronym, KISS (keep it simple stupid).. I can implement the new features without anything so drastic. The only thing is that when adding to the transfer queue, it would need to be from the same source.

I can implement the right click menus on the database tab for tagging games. When a drive is mounted, those games can be automatically tagged or the normal selection could be used on the drive tabs etc. with a menu item to tag them in the database.

Drag n drop could still be used with limitations. eg. If your transferring from drive 1 to drive 2, you can't then drag files from explorer into drive 2. (My original idea was to allow this).

@redia
If you have some specific things you want to do with the database feel free to drop me an email with a detailed list. I know you've already posted some stuff that I'll read though as well. Since you're the main person that wants the database stuff it would help both of us. I would know exactly what's needed and you get what you want.. :)

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
@Bloodlust
Unless it happens for anyone else, I'd have to say it's definitely a firewall issue because it's working fine for me.

Remember that firewalls usually block traffic based on the exe. You know it's the same app but the firewall doesn't, so it can/will different rules applied to it. In other words, the build 73 exe could be blocked while the older versions aren't. The quickest way to test is to disable any firewall you have running.

I know it sounds obvious, but maybe so obvious that you ruled it out without checking it. :)

You did enable the automatic cover downloads too? I'm always forgetting to do that and for a second or 2, wonder why the covers aren't downloading..

@roubagalinhas
Can you email details about that custom NSMBW? I'd like to test it if possible, but don't post links here. Cheers.

Squall Leonhart

Trophies
Website
vba-m.com
XP
Country
Australia
@Squall Leonhart

According to this site, the GX cover folders should be..

SD:/images/
SD:/images/disc/

Actually, its
SD:/Apps/{usbloaderdir}/images/
SD:/Apps/{usbloaderdir}/images/2d/
SD:/Apps/{usbloaderdir}/images/disk/
SD:/Apps/{usbloaderdir}/images/Full/ (though from what i can tell, the full covers are never shown anywhere)

the 3D covers are stored in /images/ and the rest explain themselves well enough.

I can see the 2d Covers are making it into the Covers\Cache folder, but don't make it to 2D under GX\2D

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
If GX is anything like CFG, the cover dir. can be changed to whatever you want.

Also re. drag'n'drop.
The important thing is drag'n'drop to the main transfer window :P

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Covers download feature in v0.4.4 build 73 is broken. In fact, titles.txt as well & checking for update on launch takes sometime..
@Bloodlust
Unless it happens for anyone else, I'd have to say it's definitely a firewall issue because it's working fine for me.
Working here too..

redia

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Covers download feature in v0.4.4 build 73 is broken. In fact, titles.txt as well & checking for update on launch takes sometime..
@Bloodlust
Working here too..
+1

fig, about your request to me.
I will try to compile something.
might not be before tomorrow though..

Cheers,
R

Thumpie Bunny Ev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
winxp:

I just installed 0.4.4build73 to "C:/Program Files/WiiBackupManager_v0.4.4Build74/"

and copied the settings.ini and custom-titles.txt from "C:/Program Files/WiiBackupManager_v0.3.8Build61/"
to the WiiBackupManager_v0.4.4Build74 folder.

however, no controller or synapsis info is showing up (First run),
and i cant see any settings to modify them in v0.4.4b73

How do i get the controller info and synopsis information to show up?
Please and thank you.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
On the database page, select "Tools->Update from GameTDB", or you can manually copy the WiiTDB.xml to the WBM folder before you start the app.

@redia
No rush..

@Squall Leonhart
Cheers for that. It looks very similar to CFG now then, so it'll be easy enough fix..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im not your boyfriend