SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have faith. The survival horror games coming out look promising, and Gunstringer looks hilarious. (Twisted Pixel!)

What you have to do with Kinect is understand that you're not going to get Gears of War or Halo or something unless they make it extremely managable to control (like an on-rails shooter). Unlike the Wii, or even Move, walking, sprinting, diving to cover, etc. would be much more difficult (though I'd like to see a game where your stamina determines how far you sprint). Come into it with an open mindset and you'll have a blast!

As for the "Oh Kinect is the Wii" argument: I assume that you have not played Dance Central yet. I have both Just Dance for Wii and Dance Central for Kinect. With Just Dance you can flail around and succeed. With Dance Central, you have to be incredibly precise, and because of it, I actually ended up having a ton more fun with Kinect. (I don't even know if that's grammatically correct but I said it anyways.)

Just to toss in Move: THIS is your Wii ripoff. They tried to take an idea no one really clamored for on PS3, made an admittedly good product, then severely undershot on the games for it. As far as I'm concerned the only worthwhile games out for it are Killzone 3 and LittleBigPlanet 2. Advisory: I don't own the Move but I've played with it before.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Kinect vs Wii vs Move. Where have I heard this before...? Oh right, Wii vs 360 vs PS3. The only difference is that their actual standings are reversed. Trolls = haters = griefers = flamers = people who like to call things crappy (usually implies something about their own lives but I won't go there). It's fun to watch the flaming and one-sided fanatacism, and to see the people who know what they're talking about complain about general ignorance, but please don't feed the trolls - they want you to tell them to stop trolling to give them an adversary to fight against! Anywho...

Wii has had years for developers to go wild with motion controls, and whilst many titles involve little more than waving the WiiMote a bit, they do have some awesome titles that use motion control, like the Trauma Center series.

Kinect is a glorified camera. I think they've done a really good job of setting up the technology (even if it's still having some rather basic problems, like overestimating the size of the average living room) and the hype, and now they've only got to deliver on the games front. When good games for Kinect start coming out (either on 360 or PC - and I'm looking forward to the korean Kinect-controlled MMOs in development for PC), then I'll decide if I want one. For now, it seems all I can do with it is give a super-adorable baby tiger some scritchies. I'd pay £40 for that, but not £120.

Move combines the above - camera + WiiMotes. It also falls under the same problem as Kinect - the only interesting game I've seen for it is LBP2, which isn't enough to make me want to shell out £50 for it. In theory, it should be much more fun to play with than either Wii or Kinect, since it's a combination of both. The reality is a familiar one - not many games worth playing... yet.

I'm a gaming fanboy - I love every console for its merits and most genres of games (although I favour RPGs). I don't hate Kinect or Move for what they are or are trying to do (giving games a more interactive environment), I'm just waiting for games to come out that really make use of the technology and are fun to play.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Originality said:
Kinect vs Wii vs Move. Where have I heard this before...? Oh right, Wii vs 360 vs PS3. The only difference is that their actual standings are reversed. Trolls = haters = griefers = flamers = people who like to call things crappy (usually implies something about their own lives but I won't go there). It's fun to watch the flaming and one-sided fanatacism, and to see the people who know what they're talking about complain about general ignorance, but please don't feed the trolls - they want you to tell them to stop trolling to give them an adversary to fight against! Anywho...

Wii has had years for developers to go wild with motion controls, and whilst many titles involve little more than waving the WiiMote a bit, they do have some awesome titles that use motion control, like the Trauma Center series.

Kinect is a glorified camera. I think they've done a really good job of setting up the technology (even if it's still having some rather basic problems, like overestimating the size of the average living room) and the hype, and now they've only got to deliver on the games front. When good games for Kinect start coming out (either on 360 or PC - and I'm looking forward to the korean Kinect-controlled MMOs in development for PC), then I'll decide if I want one. For now, it seems all I can do with it is give a super-adorable baby tiger some scritchies. I'd pay £40 for that, but not £120.

Move combines the above - camera + WiiMotes. It also falls under the same problem as Kinect - the only interesting game I've seen for it is LBP2, which isn't enough to make me want to shell out £50 for it. In theory, it should be much more fun to play with than either Wii or Kinect, since it's a combination of both. The reality is a familiar one - not many games worth playing... yet.

I'm a gaming fanboy - I love every console for its merits and most genres of games (although I favour RPGs). I don't hate Kinect or Move for what they are or are trying to do (giving games a more interactive environment), I'm just waiting for games to come out that really make use of the technology and are fun to play.

I thought you were actually going to say something worthwhile, but I stopped reading at that point.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Originality said:

I thought you were actually going to say something worthwhile, but I stopped reading at that point.
Don't worry about it Retro, to each his/her own.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Stevetry said:
i hate it cuz unlike many people i play it games and they were BAD and in many cases unresponsive

Really? I have tried out the full library of games, and nothing is unresponive to me. Some games are bad, yes, but not all of them.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it's pretty clear that the only game that makes good use of the Kinect right now is Dance Central. That's a genre of game that you would think might have mass appeal, but it really doesn't. I certainly don't want to mimic on-screen dance moves in the middle of my bedroom, with or without friends. Rhythm and dance games aren't my bag. Like many others, I'm waiting to see if any other quality games end up being released for it. For now it's just a silly expensive extra accessory that I don't need.

My personal rule is that there has to be 10 games I want for a system before I consider purchasing it. Right now, there 0 games I want for Kinect. So there you go.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
QUOTE said:
Why so much Kinect hate?

Not so much "hate", more like, "not as exciting as 3DS".

Kinect is great, but it's still basically a controller -- 3DS is a new system.

Also, Temp is a Nintendo-centric site and a new Nintendo portable being released has only happened here once before (DS). The Kinect is getting crushed by 3DS hype.

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TwinRetro said:
Stevetry said:
i hate it cuz unlike many people i play it games and they were BAD and in many cases unresponsive

Really? I have tried out the full library of games, and nothing is unresponive to me. Some games are bad, yes, but not all of them.

please sir send me your miracle kinect CUZ i dont believe you

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I don't have a 360, but I really can't see the point of paying £120+ for what is essentially a controller, I can get six or seven joypads for that. I have played Eye-Toy on the PS2 as well as the stupid little games that come bundles with webcam software and what I can say for sure is that waving my arms around like an idiot have no appeal to me. Just like with the Wii-mote, the vast majority of games will probably end up a lot worse for the fact that motion-controls have been shoe-horned in some how. I can think of a single video game where running about in my front room would make them any better. In fact it would make most of them far less fun.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After I bought it, I returned it real quick. You need too big a room to get good response from it. I am poor, I have no room bigger the 20x20 ft, and there's the items in the room that take up some of the space. Especially if I want to do multiplayer, which is why I got it, the already unresponsive interface meshes each player's movements together and makes for a horrible experience. In response to an earlier argument, yes, I would recommend a $200 Wii over the $150 Kinect to anyone. The Wii, has a crap ton of great titles and is well developed (and doesn't require too big of a space), the Kinect has a couple of partially enjoyable titles (if you have a large enough space) and won't be well developed for at least another year or two. I might but a Kinect again in a couple years if better content is made for it, but for now I will stick to Wii for motion control and, when Sorcery comes out, MOVE as well.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No Kinect hate here, I think the video below sums it all up:

I do have to agree with what everybody else has said though - while it may be impressive tech, lack of quality games makes it's a little silly to get right now, unless you're going to hack it to do other things. Maybe if they come out with some really great game for it, it would change people's minds. Looking at the metacritic reviews for kinect games shows the average for most of them to be pretty low, indicating that it's not just fanboys against it. All the tech in the world means nothing without games behind it.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
QUOTE said:
Why so much Kinect hate?

Not so much "hate", more like, "not as exciting as 3DS".

Kinect is great, but it's still basically a controller -- 3DS is a new system.

Also, Temp is a Nintendo-centric site and a new Nintendo portable being released has only happened here once before (DS). The Kinect is getting crushed by 3DS hype.
...I think your the first person to even bring up the 3DS in this thread, plus the Kinect was released before there was much talk of the 3DS, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. At all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo