Hacking Why should you get custom CFWs (Mocha) and sysNAND/redNAND?

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
So things change every day on here. Let's have some patience and present our opinions on current development like adults. We can only say what we are currently using. Nothing is definitive yet. It all changes too frequently.

As an example...

I've used mocha, redNAND and sigpatched sysNAND. For my needs I am now using CBHC.

It boots straight to a sigpatched sysNAND and I can play whatever I want. It's that simple.

If some new product comes out that has risks I might boot to redNAND to test it. Other than that I stay out of redNAND.
You don't even need CBHC anymore, Haxchi was updated recently to add sig patched sysNAND support.

Its now as simple as boot your Wii, press Haxchi from system menu, system menu reboots and your ready to play your unsigned titles. Plus using Haxchi you retain config.txt support so you can boot any other homebrew just by holding a button while Haxchi runs.

Last edited by Dungeonseeker,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't even need CBHC anymore, Haxchi was updated recently to add sig patched sysNAND support.

Its now as simply as boot your Wii, press Haxchi from system menu, system menu reboots and your ready to play your unsigned titles. Plus using Haxchi you retain config.txt support so you can boot any other homebrew just by holding a button while Haxchi runs.
Yeah for sure! I just prefer to coldboot. If you don't want to coldboot to a sigpatched sysNAND then what you said is the best option.

Reactions: Dungeonseeker

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah for sure! I just prefer to coldboot. If you don't want to coldboot to a sigpatched sysNAND then what you said is the best option.
Well as I'm always telling new users, decide what fits your scenario best and go with that. Having multiple options for users is great as it means we can customise our setup to suit ourselves.

Personally my Wii is often used by children so I don't want coldboot anywhere near it but my way isn't the right way for everybody.

Zarklord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rednand has literally 0 pros until Nintendo releases an update.
i guess not bricking is a downside? hmm in all seriousness the only time you should use patched sysnand instead of rednand is if you dont have a big enough sd card to put rednand on.
brick protection is HUGE and there will come a time when some app comes out and it "should" work on sysnand and it wont and bam you need to buy a new wii u

Babby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for coming back to a dead thread in near-mid 2017 but hopefully soon we will have priiloaders and backups like the wii has so RedNand won't be as mandatory. But it seems none of this matters at the moment as the Switch was just released so Nintendo likely won't be updating the Wii U.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um what? We have backup loaders like the Wii has. And redNAND is NOT mandatory at all. I'm not sure what the point of your post was.

Babby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um what? We have backup loaders like the Wii has. And redNAND is NOT mandatory at all. I'm not sure what the point of your post was.

Apologies for confusion, i've been out of the loop in Wii U hacking for the past few months. Could you direct me to a link of the backup loader so i could get it.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for confusion, i've been out of the loop in Wii U hacking for the past few months. Could you direct me to a link of the backup loader so i could get it.
Read the noob guide. It's stickied and there are many ways to play your backups. I created a flow chart to help you make an informed decision when it comes to choosing your hacks. Also it's in my sig

Babby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read the noob guide. It's stickied and there are many ways to play your backups. I created a flow chart to help you make an informed decision when it comes to choosing your hacks. Also it's in my sig

Alright, thanks. I'll do that now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof