Hardware Why no Ps3 backwards compatibility?

Adam851

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. Now I want to play ps2 games like star wars battlefront, metal gear solid 2, 3.... classics.

Enviado desde mi C6603 mediante Tapatalk

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
Do explain what 'hardware simulation' is, then.
Hardware simulation, I think is not emulating hardware, but rather switching to boot into that hardware to prevent issues with emulating it. The 3DS boots into the DSi's firmware to play DS and DSi games natively. If it were to emulate the same games they would run beyond unplayable. This is the same thing for GBA games on both DS (Phat and Lite, not DSi) and 3DS.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hardware simulation, I think is not emulating hardware, but rather switching to boot into that hardware to prevent issues with emulating it. The 3DS boots into the DSi's firmware to play DS and DSi games natively. If it were to emulate the same games they would run beyond unplayable. This is the same thing for GBA games on both DS (Phat and Lite, not DSi) and 3DS.
That cannot work in this case. The 3DS can do this because the 3DS actually contains components that are also used in the DS (but used for other purposes, such as maybe IO or security) or contains components that are compatible with the DS components. This is also the case with the GBA. It doesn't need to emulate the hardware because the hardware is already compatible. It simply needs to simulate the environment.

This is not the case with the PS4. A firmware cannot magically achieve native compatibility without the components also being natively compatible.

Reactions: CatmanFan

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
my brother is planninng to buy ps4(as for psone games ps4 needs specific virtual consol emulation on cloud)anyways i'll miss my ps2 and ps3 games.I think Sony is very rich so I don't think they'll banckrupt if they support ps3 backwards compatibility or they can make digital versions of psone,ps2,psp(psx japan only)and ps3 games like psn does on ps3.

Reactions: CatmanFan

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Easy money would be to have compatibilty then add all the games for puchase in the store, like Microsoft have done with 360 compatibility.
Yeah but compatibility would favor piracy. In this way you are forced to buy a remastered, even if you own a original ps3 copy of the game and you want to play it on ps4. So, if you have much ps3 games and now you want to watch on more hd, you need to re-buy all titles as a remastered -.- They make easy money thanks to the shallowness of the people (720p, 1080p, what's the difference? >_> I only see HD and not HD, point. )

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How on earth would you play a PS3 backup on a PS4 even if it were backwards compatible? You can't use backup 360 games on an Xbox One.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, its ridicolous, but i think someone (the people that can kill for 1p more of quality >_>) want it.

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
my brother is planninng to buy ps4(as for psone games ps4 needs specific virtual consol emulation on cloud)anyways i'll miss my ps2 and ps3 games.I think Sony is very rich so I don't think they'll banckrupt if they support ps3 backwards compatibility or they can make digital versions of psone,ps2,psp(psx japan only)and ps3 games like psn does on ps3.
I think there were PS2 Classics on PS4 sometime, I'm not really sure.

Also, the backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2 on PS3 kinda works like Nintendo's Virtual Console. It has controller and screen settings, an option to reset the game, and a few other features.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: