Why is there no ability to create Legal Backups yet?

xshoyz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think about it. Every Console maker hates 'Backup Loaders', or anything that lets you run backups. Why? Because these backups aren't usually backups, but illegal downloads.

Why then, hasn't Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft made a console where you can legally create backups of your games? Not possible?
I doubt that. Nintendo was successful in making sure that your Wii Channels you store on your SD card are only possible to be used on the Wii that made the backup of the channel.

Can they not backup the game? Then how do games on the PSP/PS3/XBOX360 do Partial Installs to save Hard Drive space? It's definitely possible.

If they were to make a Console that could make Legitimate backups (Full games on your HD, and possibly the ability to burn the backups on your HD onto a DVD that can only be run on your console), then they'd have a perfect argument against the creators of devices that can allow bootlegs to be run, and lawsuit = won. Just create a Homebrew Marketplace like Apple, and you have succeeded.

...Not that I endorse the idea of getting rid of Free Homebrew/Bootleg abilities, but it seems like a lack of something great for the Company that they just aren't doing, even though they could, easily.

Snooby

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
actually the xbox 360 can make full backups of its games onto its HDD and im not talking about partial installs. Im talking about downloading the game into the xbox HDD and playing it without the disc inserted. I just figured that out 2 days ago lol. Sometimes it isnt recommended cuz some games are optimized to run off of the disc, like halo 3, but it can do it
biggrin.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
because they want you to have to buy a new game if you damage it, because its more profit for them that way. isn't capitalism great?

think about it, most PC games are entirely installed to HDD, but they still make you insert the disk to play the game. and even though you can make a backup of a PC game legally bypassing the copy protection to do so is illegal under DMCA

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HokageNaruto said:
actually the xbox 360 can make full backups of its games onto its HDD and im not talking about partial installs. Im talking about downloading the game into the xbox HDD and playing it without the disc inserted. I just figured that out 2 days ago lol. Sometimes it isnt recommended cuz some games are optimized to run off of the disc, like halo 3, but it can do it
biggrin.gif
Umm...

The 360 requires the disk to be in the drive when you start the game. So while your disk can be uber-scratched outside, you'll still need a physical copy.

Snooby

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ur right. I've only installed games onto the xbox. I havent tried playin them yet lol I guess installing the game onto the xbox only reduces noise and improves load times a bit. Sry about that. I guess I was too hopeful
biggrin.gif

xshoyz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
because they want you to have to buy a new game if you damage it, because its more profit for them that way. isn't capitalism great?

think about it, most PC games are entirely installed to HDD, but they still make you insert the disk to play the game. and even though you can make a backup of a PC game legally bypassing the copy protection to do so is illegal under DMCA

I would think that it's more so that you can't just install the game, and then sell/return it and get the game for free. Having to insert the disk gets around this worry.

Knarf

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:

DAEMON tools will fix that on pc...

rush57

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what are you getting at by asking why companies don't want you to make it possible to play legal backups of your games on your consoles.

Let us look at the PSP as an example. Although sony doesn't allow backups of their games to be played legally, all people had to do was install a custom firmware so they can play any game they wanted off of their memory sticks. That fact alone destroyed much of the PSP's software support from many publishers.

Simply companies aren't going to let you play backups of your own game cause people can't be trusted because it can be so easily abused and they will lose tons of money from illegal copies of their game being downloaded.

Your point about making backups work for only your console sounds great in a perfect world. If only there was a way to keep track that you own the disk and you didnt just sell the original and keep the backup to play for free.

Bottom line.

ITS A STUPID IDEA.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Legal backups...

What would be the point?

If you already own the game in the first place then you have no need for them, and if you then are left with a backup and the original, you can just sell/give the original to somebody else, then the cycle repeats.

It would also be a giant neon sign to would-be hackers saying 'attack here', it would be fiendishly difficult to encrypt it in such a way that it was essentially unhackable.

And the only other argument I can think of, being 'my discs get scratched' is a pathetic one. Be careful with your discs! If you go out and buy other sensitive electronics, you don't leave them on the floor to get bashed about.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if I could use the same argument that people use about making back up's of there crap and apply it to say buying a car or a house ect. Anyone really think it would work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sigh