Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
bc the remasters were cancer?
No, it was long before that. I think somebody new took over at Konomi, and he was being a real dumbass and cancelling a bunch of stuff, and P.T. (Silent Hills) was included in that.

• Wow
Reactions: SylverReZ

DeadlyAnGeL91792

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Killed castlevania with no new games for more then a decade, pushed out both Kojima and Igarashi, went full focus on mobile titles and pachinko machines over continuing to develop on more traditional platforms like their fans wanted, terrible monetization practices in their games especially Yu-Gi-Oh titles. They deserve the hate they get and deff need to earn back some good karma from the fans.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
They have some of the best IPs in all of gaming: Castlevania, Contra, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, etc. So what do they do with all of these amazing franchises? Either kill them off by driving away their creators, trying to milk them with poor remasters, or neglecting them entirely in favor of pachinko machines.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I only know they currently only create pachinko machines
Apart from "the other kind of gaming" (yes, they've given up on the non-euphemistic definition, see PES and Japanese online arcade games which long had gacha-like elements) they're also into gyms and I think Yu-Gi-Oh is still a thing even though it want to shit after white cards/Tuners?

Otherwise said, they're closer to Richard Branson's, Trump's, or Berlusconi's enterprise style of trying everything and then pulling a google when it stops being interesting :P

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
But they are bringing back Silent Hill (a bit with some oversaturation of the IP but I will take it)...and...they're actually getting WayForward to make another Contra game!?

Its the twilight zone compared to the "HIT THE LEVER" bullshit they doubled down on years ago.

Maybe they're turning a new leaf? I will still loathe them if they don't take this MGS Vol 2 collection and finally liberate MGS 4 from the unoptimized PS3. There is no excuse.

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Yeah... Everyone is saying what I was also going to add in. Pachinko Machines, ruining their IPs, and grating the fans like shit.

I will never forget how they announced an NFT program for the 35th anniversary for Castlevania.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metal Gear Survive

They should have just made Hideo Kojima President, instead they got rid of him.

Also they were said to have a horrible work environment spying on employees all the time, and hired a CEO who was not even into gaming thus the Pachinko machines.

The controversy began earlier this year when Kojima's name was removed from the box art for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, though Konami stated that Kojima would complete his work on the game and that the Metal Gear series would live on without him. However, the weekly Kojima Station broadcast was soon taken offline and fans were in uproar when Silent Hills was cancelled too. With Konami having tweets deleted and YouTube videos taken down, it seemed that the publisher was keen to keep the rumors under wraps and to stop any more information from leaking out.

Konami has since apologized for the events of the past few months, as well as clarifying their stance on mobile gaming (some feared that the publisher would be ditching consoles), but their reputation has now taken a further hit thanks to a new report from Nikkei. According to the Japanese publication, Konami's work environment is terrible and has been worsening for years.

In the report, Nikkei states that in 2010, Konami saw the success of Dragon Collection (a mobile game that was hugely successful despite its small development budget) and began to focus more on mobile gaming as a result. Given that some game developers have expressed concern about the state of Japan's console industry, that makes a lot of sense. But unfortunately, as Metal Gear Solid 5 has an $80 million budget and has cost the publisher extra due to its delay, tensions rose between Konami and Kojima.

well thats too bad since their games were LEGENDARY

They got rid of all the talented devs that made those legendary games. They're not the same company. They're sort of trying lately again though but with remakes: MGS 3, Silent Hill 2 and Contra. However I think they're having to use outside help as they have no really talented workers left (AFAIK).

Last edited by Jayinem,

Freshie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hideo Kojima crushed me when I saw Metal Gear Solid 3 for Pachinko, like goddamnit start making these games for consoles and PC, all my years I never thought I'd see the game remade with such beautiful graphics, I dont mind playing that game over and over and over, a trip down memory lane with this one...sadly I don't ever see it being released for ACTUAL consoles..not some damn pachinko!

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hideo Kojima crushed me when I saw Metal Gear Solid 3 for Pachinko, like goddamnit start making these games for consoles and PC, all my years I never thought I'd see the game remade with such beautiful graphics, I dont mind playing that game over and over and over, a trip down memory lane with this one...sadly I don't ever see it being released for ACTUAL consoles..not some damn pachinko!

Kojima was already gone when that came out, and they are actually remaking MGS 3 for modern consoles.

https://www.techradar.com/news/metal-gear-solid-3-remake-release-date-gameplay-trailers

rushjurassicparkfly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have some of the best IPs in all of gaming: Castlevania, Contra, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, etc. So what do they do with all of these amazing franchises? Either kill them off by driving away their creators, trying to milk them with poor remasters, or neglecting them entirely in favor of pachinko machines.
They ruined PES as well...

Reactions: DragonMals

Vetusomaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Killed castlevania with no new games for more then a decade, pushed out both Kojima and Igarashi
They did the right thing to push out Kojima, with him being so high off his ass, being obsessed with Hollywood budget games and killing Castlevania with his soulless Castlevania reboot for the God of War audience. And with MGS5 costing too much money and time to be made it's natural for Konami to push him out, especially when their smartphone games were printing money with much smaller cost and development time. The only victims of Konami's bullshit were IGA, Hudson and the regular development staff that kept working for Konami. Besides Kojima immediately got big companies to fund his Hollywood budget walking simulator the moment he left Konami while IGA couldn't even find a publisher just for a cheap-made Metroidvania game until he started his own Kickstarter. Too bad the Nintendo Switch port was trash.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY