Hacking Why do USB loaders need the drive chip?

x_r3ap3r_x

OP
Trophies
XP
Hi, I'm cuurently making a slim Wii (or Minii Wii) and i want to know why do USB loaders need the drive chip to be plugged in? And is there any USB loader that doesn't? The question for this is that the drive chip is very annoying even though its not very big, it would be better to remove it completely but games refuse to load if the drive chip isn't plugged in. Do any modchips overcome this problem? Any suggestions?

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
paulmikeybarker said:
Isn't that like asking if a PC will still work without the mobo
or if I remove my spine can I still stand up?

I'm assuming "drive chip" has something to do with the disc drive.
If so you can dissemble the disc player to take out the little board.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
x_r3ap3r_x said:
I know they don't need a modchip, i was asking if a modchip would act as a replacement for the Wii drive chip. You know the PCB board that is underneath the Wii drive?, that's what i want to remove or replace as the Wii will not boot games without it. This is what i'm talking about: http://www.consoletronics.com/images/P/wii...ive%20board.jpg
Unfortunately it is impossible. The Wii is designed to take data input that's been processed from there, the USBLoaders therefore need to put the data through there to load games off the HDD and have the Wii recognise them.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But you could probably just use the drives pcb, removing the rest of the drive. that little pcb wont make your Wii fatter.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would say the system menu or the IOS does some drive init stuff, which simply fails if no drive is connected. If that was patched out, it might work, but i'm not really sure, see down.

Jamstruth said:
x_r3ap3r_x said:
I know they don't need a modchip, i was asking if a modchip would act as a replacement for the Wii drive chip. You know the PCB board that is underneath the Wii drive?, that's what i want to remove or replace as the Wii will not boot games without it. This is what i'm talking about: http://www.consoletronics.com/images/P/wii...ive%20board.jpg
Unfortunately it is impossible. The Wii is designed to take data input that's been processed from there, the USBLoaders therefore need to put the data through there to load games off the HDD and have the Wii recognise them.

I don't think anything usb loading related uses anything from the drive. But asking the drive for its manufactoring date or checking if there's a disc in the drive(old Waninkoko's cIOS, some/all(?) Hermes cIOS), that's something that really involves the drive. Also Calling DI_Init, or whatever you want to call it, does drive init stuff, even on usb loader cIOS, maybe when loading from usb, because it's required for dvd compatiblity, and maybe it's even easier to write that way.

Short, i think you need the drive chip, and a software solution without it seems very complicated to me.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wode will replace a drive but then theres the issue of where to locate the slave board, Not sure if flatmii can do the same but it would be a cheaper alternative.

x_r3ap3r_x

OP
Trophies
XP
paulmikeybarker said:
I dont think you understand, the Wii still boots and loads all homebrew but doesnt load USB Games.

QUOTE(Wiisel @ Jul 4 2010, 06:20 AM) wode will replace a drive but then theres the issue of where to locate the slave board, Not sure if flatmii can do the same but it would be a cheaper alternative.

Thank you I'll look into the flatmii, i was even thinking the WiiKey Fusion might do the job.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
That's exactly my situation! You know, the only way to load games on consoles in this state is by using SNEEK+DI (maybe because the drive commands are emulated and not just interpreted, like the conventional USB Loaders?). I'm using it and there are no problems (I still don't have the PCB board, the "accident" was something like a year ago). I don't know if you can't also load any channels... The only ones that work for me are the HBC and the injected SSB64 from PaRaDoX (well, I can load the channels, but a black screen will appear some seconds later, :/).

x_r3ap3r_x

OP
Trophies
XP
Gordinio said:
You could use the Flatmii Fusion, it's board is quite small.
I just had a look at the flatmii fusion website and it looks promising, I might purchase a flatmii fusion and wiikey fusion and even a cheap sunkey light as I'm not fussed on SD loading games. Thanks for the info.

paulmikeybarker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
x_r3ap3r_x said:
paulmikeybarker said:
I dont think you understand, the Wii still boots and loads all homebrew but doesnt load USB Games.

My point being, it won't run disc based games without it!
Obviously it's necessary hardware, just like a spine, unless you can software emulate it

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Obviously it's necessary hardware, just like a spine, unless you can software emulate it

dude shut up, you have no clue about anything. this guy is trying to do something and doesnt need ur tard ass telling him about thigns u know nothign about

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Seems like SNEEK + DI would be your best bet if you don't want to spend cash, otherwise buying a WODE and gutting that and internalizing it could work quite well.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
TRushInfo said:
QUOTE said:

dude shut up, you have no clue about anything. this guy is trying to do something and doesnt need ur tard ass telling him about thigns u know nothign about
TRashInfo is trash. Calm your temper, it's stupid. If someone comment or information is not relevent just ignore it.

Pip'

x_r3ap3r_x

OP
Trophies
XP
toejam316 said:
Seems like SNEEK + DI would be your best bet if you don't want to spend cash, otherwise buying a WODE and gutting that and internalizing it could work quite well.
I have never actually used SNEEK or even looked into it, now might be the time. Also a bit too late i just bought an el-cheapo sunkey lite to see if that works if not then a flatmii fusion or wode sound good.

QUOTE(TRushInfo @ Jul 5 2010, 08:16 AM) Id love to see the finished product if you get everything figured out!!!!

I'm just finishing of the CAD design and ill send it off late this week or early next week.

On another note, does anyone know if you can use the same 3.6v logical supply for all 4 GC controllers? I know i can use the same GND and +5V but the logic supply im not to sure about, i might test it tonight if i have time.

EDIT
I just tested it and it works you can run 4 gamecube controllers with just 6 wires.
cool.gif

WiiStrudle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@x_r3ap3r_x you rule! I have a board in my basement thats still working (my "accident" as well
wink.gif
anyways, I was wondering about this too for quite some time, but you're making it happen, AwEsOmE!! (high pitched voice)

I would love to see the finished product as well...you've got me all excited, I'm looking to flatmii right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...