• Views 8,825
  • Replies 108
  • Likes 1

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Some years ago when Tales of Symphonia got released on Steam people were bitching because the game was locked at 30fps like the PS3 version and that the best way to play the game is to emulate the Gamecube game at 60fps.

Some older games feel uncomfortable to play because of the lower framerate (Assassin's Creed 3 on the PS3 and a number of N64 games come to mind here) but I personally can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps.

I hear all kinds of different arguments about the human eye. Some say we see at 24fps. Others say we can see at almost 300fps. Some people claim they can notice a frame being displayed twice when playing the 59fps Wii U version of Mario Kart 8.

If that's the case does that mean if I spend a shitload on an amazing PC my games will look smooth as fuck at 120fps?
I don't like 60fps. I like 120+fps on the PC.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Ball Fighterz characters run at lower frame rates. Character animations run at 8 fps, 10 fps, 12 fps. It creates the Anime look and motion, and it looks really cool. Guilty Gear runs the same way. It depends on game whether higher frame rates are better or not. Sometimes higher is better, sometimes its not. It depends on game. I like higher frame rates in Fighting games like Soul Caliber and Street Fighter. But I prefer in the lower frame rates in the 2D or 2D/3D anime style fighters like Guilty Gear and Dragon Ball Fighterz. It really depends on game and different frame rates can be used as a stylistic choice.

Heres a Digital Foundry video on Dragon Ball Fighterz frame rates.
thats mainly the result of lazy animation and them trying to pump out an episode a week almost non stop for years, you can tell a huge difference between toei and companies like mad house or kyoto animation

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its important to note there is a difference between:

- 30 FPS, being half as fast as 60 (slower)
- 30 FPS, same speed as 60 but essentially only rendering every other frame. (choppier)

Cave Story would be a good example, the original PC version runs at 50 FPS and it runs slower than the 60 FPS ports it has.
As opposed to running a game in an emulator with frameskip enabled, which would mean choppier. Unless you go into the territory of a computer being slow, which is unrelated.

MasterControl90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
Oh the decades long question about framerates. Many already replied but I will anyway in the most simple possible way I know.

Not only a perfectly stable 60fps running game is pleasant to see because of the smoothness factor, it usually plays better because of these simple reasons:

1. More frames means more information to your brain making you realise faster what is going on in the game world:
2. More frames means more responsive controls overall because your input goes hand to hand with the framerate and so you can input twice the time per second at 60 fps, another way to explain this is that you can input a command every 16 ms instead of every 33ms;
3. Because of point 1 and 2, considering also the visual improvement, all games plays way better at 60 fps, offering to you a more enjoyable experience in every aspect.

Additionally you now know why some hardcore people wants even more fps especially for online games. Personally I will never go back to 60hz monitors and 120hz+ is the way to go for me, not only you will actually see those higher framerates if your machine is adequate but these high refreshrates hide a lot of tearing between frames... A huge plus all considered.

Last edited by MasterControl90,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Speaking of artificial framerate limits, try going back and playing some old games.
Banjo Tooie had a pretty bad framerate limit, the framerate would often be capped at 15 FPS and maybe even lower. Still completely playable, but it's really noticeable. I'm unsure if Kazooie did the same thing but there are at least a handful of games on N64 that do this.
Luckily there exist GameShark codes for some of these older games to allow them to run at 60 FPS in emulators. It makes a huge difference in Banjo Tooie, but sadly it throws off the timing of some things and makes aiming in first person mode way too sensitive, and turning when swimming is much faster than it should be, but it can be easily toggled off for those parts.

A stable 30 FPS isn't bad by comparison. It still looks relatively smooth, although 60 FPS is smoother. 100Hz++ is kind of weird, it somehow feels smoother than real life if that even makes any sense. It's unnaturally smooth. Not necessarily a bad thing but also not really anything important. I don't feel like 60Hz is impairing me at all or preventing me from enjoying a game as much. It might matter more in multiplayer shooters, which aren't a thing I normally play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...