Why do anti pirates come to a homebrew forum mostly used for piracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
why do you come to a forum mostly used for piracy (really?) even though you're no pirate?

Going back to the SNES and Genesis and later PSX and N64, it was the only way to develop on these consoles without a license. Most of the people creating the tools weren't connected to piracy, but the whole scene was intertwined with piracy. It's still the same today, homebrew is possible on the 3DS because of a piracy device.

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the OP means "why do anti-pirates come here and complain about piracy?". The reason for that is some people have nothing better to do with their lives then complain, argue, and let everybody else know how superior their opinion is over other's.
I really like how somebody against piracy will come here and talk about how pirates need to support the developers and then talk about how they buy all their games second hand. Just a bunch of hypocrites.

Reactions: Muffins

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the OP means "why do anti-pirates come here and complain about piracy?". The reason for that is some people have nothing better to do with their lives then complain, argue, and let everybody else know how superior their opinion is over other's.
I really like how somebody against piracy will come here and talk about how pirates need to support the developers and then talk about how they buy all their games second hand. Just a bunch of hypocrites.
People who buy games used are far worse than pirates imo. But that's a whole other topic I wont get into.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy homebrew but I'm against piracy. I don't bother trying to convince others to not pirate, though. That would be a waste of time and energy. I even understand why some people pirate.

Reactions: VinsCool

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Well, because if you tell non-pirates that pirating is bad, what would that change? I feel like that would be the really nonsensical thing to do. People don't just talk to talk, they talk to create an influence, and preaching a message to people who already believe it won't change anything.

Not to say that I'm necessarily on one side or the other, just that it makes sense for someone to do that.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, because if you tell non-pirates that pirating is bad, what would that change? I feel like that would be the really nonsensical thing to do. People don't just talk to talk, they talk to create an influence, and preaching a message to people who already believe it won't change anything.

Not to say that I'm necessarily on one side or the other, just that it makes sense for someone to do that.
Thats the thing, it really doesnt make sense and I doubt a faceless random on the internet is gonna make them change all of a sudden. If they are so anti pirate and wholeheartedly support the games they play then they should go to a gaming site like Gamefaqs.com as someone suggested as an example.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the interruption from yesterday, hopefully the topic can stay on track and not derail. Lets keep this civil please.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Oh bugger, I had something really good written out, but it was lost when the topic got locked. Well, it was basically saying that you must not think that it's impossible for a "faceless random" to have an impact on anyone's behavior or way of thinking, otherwise you wouldn't have made this topic, right? Besides, your argument could easily be turned backwards on you by telling you that you should keep quiet and go play with other like-minded people, but I definitely think that that wouldn't help anyone. In fact, it would be very insulting and disrespectful, or at least I would feel that way were it said to me, being told that no-one wants to hear your opinion and to go play at the kids table. Arguments and conflicting ideas are necessary to change and evolve our ideals. If you have a problem with something somebody is doing, tell it to the people doing it. This is what you did, just like the people you admonish.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh bugger, I had something really good written out, but it was lost when the topic got locked. Well, it was basically saying that you must not think that it's impossible for a "faceless random" to have an impact on anyone's behavior or way of thinking, otherwise you wouldn't have made this topic, right? Besides, your argument could easily be turned backwards on you by telling you that you should keep quiet and go play with other like-minded people, but I definitely think that that wouldn't help anyone. In fact, it would be very insulting and disrespectful, or at least I would feel that way were it said to me, being told that no-one wants to hear your opinion and to go play at the kids table. Arguments and conflicting ideas are necessary to change and evolve our ideals. If you have a problem with something somebody is doing, tell it to the people doing it. This is what you did, just like the people you admonish.
I enjoy heated debate and like to hear the reasonings from both sides. When I say a "faceless random" shouldn't have any impact I didn't mean that in an insulting way but more that because they are an unknown is why SHOULD you care what they think you do, it doesn't effect them at all so they should mind their business and not act like a mother.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As Veho said this is a fairly broad and diverse gaming forum network and sometimes you stumble onto things you're against. It's pretty easy actually. I see stuff on the front page or in recent comments all the time I then go and give my negative opinion on, cuz I can.

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a site aimed at both piracy and homebrew. Some people like on and absolutely condemn the other. I see people comment on Smealum's twitter post about a new homebrew exploit, and they say it's worthless because it's not a kernel exploit. People have opinions and they simply believe in them so much that they are reality. They are right, and you are wrong and there isn't a thing in the world you can say or do to change that. That aside, this is the internet and you can go about telling people what's wrong and right, or you can tell them where to shove their moral compass. As for me, I don't care what you do. I think stealing is wrong. Piracy is not stealing to me, and I don't have much issue with it. However, I buy all the things I like, because I like them. 3DS? Bought it, games for it? Bought em'. Why? Because buying them makes them make more. Maybe not singularly my purchase doesn't change much, but collectively with others who do the same, it does. But in 10 years when I want to replay Fire Emblem if, and my 3DS is dead or whatever, and we have emulators to play it. I'm totally going to download it and play. At that point the people who put their heart into it would no longer benefit from a VC purchase, therefor piracy and emulation wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

(Also I'm tired and I worked all day so this might not makes sense or be a lame rant. Oops.)

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't involve myself with piracy, but this is still a useful site. I just don't judge people who do pirate, since I know what site I'm on.

Reactions: XavyrrVaati

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is mostly used for piracy, not all.

It'd be like going to a forum about cartoons where most of everyone's a MLP fan and you're the weeaboo neckbeard hypocrite hating on MLP.

But here, you go to a forum about hacking where most of everyone illegally downloads games and you're the butthurt gamer who doesn't know how to use torrent services and has to pay for their games.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's a lot of other stuff here these days, at least compared to how it used to be (when it was basically just gba flashcart and rom discussion). So people sign up for other stuff.

It's the drive by anti-piracy shit posting that is the problem, in topics where it has no place. Which for some reason, even when reported seems to be tolerated. While the reverse (piracy talk in topics where it has no place, like hombrew with ap), gets deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: gimme