Homebrew Why can we not transfer data from one 3DS to another?

Havok10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone explain the me the technical details or point me in the right place to learn about them?

I have a 3DS that broke (cracked motherboard from a hard fall) and an SD Card with .cia installed game. I can't believe with all the progress we have made we haven't figured out how to make that data accessible to a 2nd 3DS.

Even if it involved decrypting and re-encrypting. What is the hard part that be havent figured out? On other jailbroken systems firmware hacks have patched the sig checks and allowed them to run completely decrypted games.

The other way to attack the problem is of course from the key side. Why haven't we been able to completely clone a 3DS? Where is the unique console ID stored?

As I said, looking for an education here or a limited explanation and the answer, go read X and that will tell you why.

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
every sd card content is enctypted with a nand ubique key and can't be read by other nands, you could go and write a tool to decrypt your saves from that sd card and then import them with a save manager, but noone is actually going to do that judt because of some saves

Havok10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But why does it have to be just saves? Some people have a lot of .cia installed games. If you have a 3DS with 200 games on it that you have been collecting for the past few years why would you want to source all the content again when you have an SD card with the content already. It just seems silly to start over from scratch with a new system. Wii/PS3/X360 this problem has been long solved.

But even save games would be nice. Why would you want to start over if you are 20 hrs into 20 different games.

Last edited by Havok10,

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But why does it have to be just saves? Some people have a lot of .cia installed games. If you have a 3DS with 200 games on it that you have been collecting for the past few years why would you want to source all the content again when you have an SD card with the content already. It just seems silly to start over from scratch with a new system. Wii/PS3/X360 this problem has been long solved.

But even save games would be nice. Why would you want to start over if you are 20 hrs into 20 different games.
its not about wanting something its about decrypting and encrypting with nand unique keys, which are as said, nand unique

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But even save games would be nice. Why would you want to start over if you are 20 hrs into 20 games.
You should make periodic backups of anything you couldn't live without. That's true regardless of what kind of technology we're talking about.

If your 3DS fell in a lake, for example, and you lost all of your save progress and your CIA-installed games, that's on you. You're lucky to have any access at all after a fall. I make periodic backups of my save files with JKSM that can be restored to any 3DS. I have most of the CIA files that are important to me backed up on my computer, but with the existence of freeShop, those are not that important.

If that's not good enough, then you can develop the kind of thing you're talking about. In the meantime, you can redownload CIA files (or use freeShop), and your save files might be lost forever because you made the mistake of not making backups.

Last edited by Lacius,

Havok10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do we not have the ability to obtain these keys?? Where are they stored in the system the OTP?

If we can access to the keys , why can't decrypt and rencrypted as I stated in the first post?

There are so many homebrew tools, I personally have never used JKSM (I did know of existence). Thats what I am trying to do here is get an education. When I was way newer than I am now, all the tutorials state backup your NAND keep that safe, write your OTP down, keep that safe. I have never seen a suggestion to use JKSM regularly. No one ever talks about content. I actually assumed a method existed to transfer content.

I had a PS3 that was dying, I got a new one. The console comes with a unique PSNID, I was able to backup all my content and trophies and transfer them to the new system by hex editing the new key into the header and replacing it.

Last edited by Havok10,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do we not have the ability to obtain these keys?? Where are they stored in the system the OTP?

If we can access to the keys , why can't decrypt and rencrypted as I stated in the first post?
If you don't have access to your 3DS anymore, then you don't exactly have access to anything that could help, correct?

Reactions: Quantumcat

Havok10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I have a full NAND backup, OTP key, and those items. Plus I hope this thread is a good education for myself and others on how to protect myself from this in the future such as using JKSM regularly is a good suggestion.

I am even curious about hardware methods. In the past when needed, Ive transplanted whole TSOP's from one system to another.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
It's possible to decrypt game contents via the OTP. A user-side guide for this isn't readily available yet.

But yeah as you know each console has its own encryption, no matter how far hacking gets (fwiw, we have almost all of the normal keys) we couldn't use content from another console readily on another.

There are ways to run a decrypted NAND but I'm not 100% sure how this translates into how usable the SD card data from one is.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well I have a full NAND backup, OTP key, and those items. Plus I hope this thread is a good education for myself and others on how to protect myself from this in the future such as using JKSM regularly is a good suggestion.

I am even curious about hardware methods. In the past when needed, Ive transplanted whole TSOP's from one system to another.

This is exactly what I was about to recommend, but haven't tried yet. If the NAND from a non-broken 3DS gets replaced with a broken 3DS' NAND, it "might" become the broken one as of NAND means. Can't assure it so... I leave it to someone willing to ruin a 3DS in the process.

Don't have any broken 3DS to test nor a non-broken one (I have a working 3DS XL). I have the means to try it, but any 3DS to test. Would be a good exercise in hardware terms.

It's possible to decrypt game contents via the OTP. A user-side guide for this isn't readily available yet.

But yeah as you know each console has its own encryption, no matter how far hacking gets (fwiw, we have almost all of the normal keys) we couldn't use content from another console readily on another.

There are ways to run a decrypted NAND but I'm not 100% sure how this translates into how usable the SD card data from one is.

Now this gets interesting...

Would an OTP replacement from the broken 3DS into a non-broken one and a NAND backup reinstall help on this? Seriously need those 3DS to try this!

Last edited by CMDreamer,

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is exactly what I was about to recommend, but haven't tried yet. If the NAND from a non-broken 3DS gets replaced with a broken 3DS' NAND, it "might" become the broken one as of NAND means. Can't assure it so... I leave it to someone willing to ruin a 3DS in the process.

Don't have any broken 3DS to test nor a non-broken one (I have a working 3DS XL). I have the means to try it, but any 3DS to test. Would be a good exercise in hardware terms.

Now this gets interesting...

Would an OTP replacement from the broken 3DS into a non-broken one and a NAND backup reinstall help on this? Seriously need those 3DS to try this!
flashing another consoles nand bricks it. never flash another consoles nand except if you sighaxed the signature so that boot9 actually mounts it.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't replace the OTP ROM. It's built into the SoC.

Closest you could get is moving both the SoC and NAND to another system, but that seems like a lot of work for not much gain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!