Hacking Who will be buying a TX Switch (SX) modchip?

Will you buy a TX modchip?

• Yes, the solderless version

Votes: 130 30.0%
  • Yes, the soldered version

Votes: 18 4.1%
  • I'm not sure yet. Waiting for full feature announcement

Votes: 151 34.8%
  • No way!!! I like free solutions

Votes: 101 23.3%
  • I am keeping my switch unmodified

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • I don't own a switch

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • I am just a troll

Votes: 21 4.8%

• Total voters

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
I know this is not related to TXs release but..we havent heard from SciresM for a long time now didn't we? I wonder how the atmosphere is progressing. There arent many updates on github either

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking forward to it. Bonus points if you can replace the USB A plug with a C to skip (or build in) the adapter

Ok, I have built a system image for the thing successfully. Building again with basically everything that can be an installable module, as an installable module. (Never know what people will ask for. Just covering all the bases)

Amazon says the thing is on the way.

I was really hoping to not have to do surgery on the dongle, but looking closely at the pictures of the PCB from the hacking documents/research, I am going to have to.

There will need to be some slight soldering modifications to the device so that host mode data pins are exposed through the port. This sadly means sacrificing either the ability for the device to read the sdcard slot, or for the device to function as an sdcard reader for the host. I am going to elect sacrificing the ability for the device to read the sdcard slot. (Picking option 1 below.)

The reasoning is simple:

The designers included a 2 output select highspeed switch (that is fully bidirectional), that (as currently wired), switches the SDCard reader's data pins between either the SoC's USB root hub, or the USB-A connector. (this means that as wired, the USB-A plug cannot talk to the host's root hub.)

We have two options:

1) (Make the USB-A interface become the item that gets switched)
De-solder the contact going into the highspeed switch where the SDCard interface board talks, and remove the 2 pin header from the daughter board
Solder 2 patch wires into the header holes on the daughter board
Solder 2 patch wires onto the USB-A connector's D+ and D- contact pads
VERY CAREFULLY cut the traces on the motherboard that connect the SW1 D+ and D- pads of the highspeed switch to the USB-A interface
Run the USB-A patch wires into the switch's input header holes
Run the SDCard reader's patch wires into the teeeeeny tiny contact points of the surface mount switch's SW1 points. (Or look for testpoints on the PCB, and connect there.)

2) (Make the SoC host interface become the item that gets switched)
Hunt down contact points for the SoC's D+ and D- lines, and attach jumper wires
VERY CAREFULLY cut the traces after the SoC contact points we are using that lead to the switch
Desolder and remove the 2 pin header from the SDCard daughter board
Solder jumper wires to the header pin holes on the daughter board
Solder the SoC jumper wires to the switch input header pin holes
Solder the CardReader jumper wires to SW2 data pins (look for testpoints)

I think option 1 is less likely to have issues. (I dont have to hunt for as many test pads, and it should be easier to cut the traces) It will also allow the console to read the SDCard slot after the appropriate GPIO is asserted. Access to the RCM mode console is enabled because the highspeed switch is bidirectional, when the GPIO is low. The downside is that the SoC cannot see or use the card reader.

Option 2 allows the SoC to see the card reader, but denies the console access to the slot. It is also harder to pull off I think.

Given the issues I have faced trying to get a suitable bare image for the zsun built (due to small SPI flash, only 16mb), I think "candidate 2" I linked previously is a no-go, (Only 4mb SPI flash) even though it would be solderless. (has fully exposed host interface) I will look into other options that could be done that are fully solderless, but they are more expensive, and I am not made of money. (For the cost of 2 hardware test articles, I could buy a switch game and have much more fun.)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, they are doing it for illegal profit. I will wait for free solutions. I am not stupid. Dont support them!
Illegal profit? Do elaborate. They appear to be selling a device which functions to a solution to a problem I have (I want the switch to be blown wide open and allow me to do what I like), any actions I do with it that might be various flavours of unlawful are my own business. We could argue DMCA and equivalents or something but you seem to happily dismiss that in the next sentence, something I will join you in for this.

To that end I am not sure why I should not support them.

Reactions: Joe88

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Illegal profit? Do elaborate. They appear to be selling a device which functions to a solution to a problem I have (I want the switch to be blown wide open and allow me to do what I like), any actions I do with it that might be various flavours of unlawful are my own business. We could argue DMCA and equivalents or something but you seem to happily dismiss that in the next sentence, something I will join you in for this.

To that end I am not sure why I should not support them.

You are absolutely right. That's good point. :grog:

Irishsea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Where are people in the UK ordering from? I've been out of buying stuff since the xbox 360 so if I choose to go this way I want to make sure to get it from a good site. I've looked at the trusted sellers, a few seem down.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

MehMeh27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Where are people in the UK ordering from? I've been out of buying stuff since the xbox 360 so if I choose to go this way I want to make sure to get it from a good site. I've looked at the trusted sellers, a few seem down.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
I ordered from r4card.co.uk.

Bitchplease

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No, Im not buying.
I have nothing against it, I don't have anything against piracy but its just not for me.
Im keeping my switch unmodified.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
shop01media, it's a bit more expensive but you'll get it sent from Sweden in a few days rather than China in a few weeks.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've bought one, just to have it tbh. I'm not gonna use it much because I'm not that interested in piracy. I might download Mario Kart 8 Deluxe but that's about it.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i looked into the txsx and what i noticed is that theyre basically selling a means of piracy only, they even pointed out to the xci-cutter github from gbatemp. i personally think their product looks very well made but then again, to me, its selling something you can eventually get for free.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I actually ended up preordering a Pro SX.

I do still think that Atmosphere is da wae in the long run, but the USB dongle is just too useful the pass up. TX confirming that it would support loading other payloads sealed the deal.

The lack of emuNAND requirement is also a huge plus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn