Homebrew Who wants Duke Nukem 3D (JFDuke?) on the DSi?

Would you like to play Duke Nukem 3D on DSi, in a version with good quality graphics and sound?

• Yes, certainly, I have always dreamed of it and I can't wait!

Votes: 36 90.0%
  • No. I don't care. Duke is too vulgar and violent. And it's too difficult for me. I'm not up to it.

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the TwilightMenu++ menu if I press Y on the duke3d.nds icon to change settings the menu soft-resets for some reason: It can not read the file.
Does this happen if the icon is missing (or just shown as "?")? If so, then you need to update TWiLight Menu++, as the bug got fixed some versions ago.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does this happen if the icon is missing (or just shown as "?")? If so, then you need to update TWiLight Menu++, as the bug got fixed some versions ago
The version of TWL is recent, I think it is one of the latest (left photo). The game icon is as pictured on the right; if I press Y it opens the white window for a second and then your software resets.

1658287721654.jpg

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The version of TWL is recent, I think it is one of the latest (left photo). The game icon is as pictured on the right; if I press Y it opens the white window for a second and then your software resets.

View attachment 318645
v24.6.0 is not the latest version, so you need to update.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Performancewise it is very bad. It is definitely not getting even 20 FPS. I wonder why it performs so bad.
If I am not mistaken, you are also a developer (not its, of course), or not? ....you should tell us why, by taking a look at it.

Anyway It would not be so bad if at least the full sound effects worked at the same time. But elhobbs will surely remedy this defect and he will make it more playable.

P.S. And congratulations on your release, although RTS games are not my thing. 😉

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In the meantime, I verified several freezes in all three episodes, which was also happening in the past from flashcart: my feeling is that, even though it starts from the SD slot of the DSi, it does not take advantage of the increased RAM available.
But all in all, the performance in terms of graphical fluidity doesn't seem so bad to me.

Also I would suggest lowering the brightness by 2 points as a default: as it is set now it is too high.

I will look forward to new updates...:)

Last edited by Nikokaro,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the meantime, I verified several freezes in all three episodes, which was also happening in the past from flashcart: my feeling is that, even though it starts from the SD slot of the DSi, it does not take advantage of the increased RAM available.
But all in all, the performance in terms of graphical fluidity doesn't seem so bad to me.

Also I would suggest lowering the brightness by 2 points as a default: as it is set now it is too high.

I will look forward to new updates...:)
I think you may be referring to the gamma, I raised it from I think it was 63 to 75:

Attachments

• duke3d.zip
    453 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nm, I just read the github. the config file isn't part of the nds game. you need to copy them to a certain location, so mess around with the gamma if you think it's too bright.

Reactions: Nikokaro

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who knows.... All I know is that the slider is completely to the right and goes no further.
Now I am away from home, without a DSi....
I just changed the value at the bottom with setbrightness from 2 to 0, no idea what it does:

Attachments

• duke3d.zip
    453 KB · Views: 38

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried compiling from that source code from 2011, but I don't know what version was used for devkitARM.
In any case, our @elhobbs is working to improve it: as it is now, without sound and with numerous freezes, no one would use it. Thank you anyway for your interest. :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's frustrating that mine doesn't work. not sure if I'm not understanding the instructions or what is happening, but there were no errors while compiling. ? dunno.

• Sad

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
it's frustrating that mine doesn't work. not sure if I'm not understanding the instructions or what is happening, but there were no errors while compiling. ? dunno.
I still have the .cfg file downloaded yesterday on my phone. In fact there is only the line "gamma=63". Maybe by setting it to 60 the screen should darken a bit, or am I wrong?

Edit: What is called brightness in the game menu is actually gamma, I think.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I was really referring to the brightness, that is set to maximum in the game menu. Lowering it by 2 or 3 positions in the options menu turns out perfect, only the change is not saved permanently.
This change did save permanently for me when I exited the game using the in game menu. I am using memory pit to launch. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This change did save permanently for me when I exited the game using the in game menu. I am using memory pit to launch. Not sure if that makes a difference
I use Flipnote, as you already know. I also tried Memory Pit but it only gives me 2 blank screens.
I am away from home now and cannot verify It.
As things are now, this is the least important thing anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: brb