Whiffed an Xbox softmod. Now what? :(

ArugulaZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I attempted a soft mod, and my Xbox just wouldn't cooperate through the process. I got a "batch process failed" error, which quickly turned into an Error 13, which subsequently turned into an Error 16. Now this vexacious Xbox is only effective as a doorstop.

I know there are some fixes for Error 16, but they're frustratingly convoluted. One requires swapping hard drives with a previously modded Xbox (if I had a successfully modded Xbox, would I even NEED a second one?!), while another requires an older desktop computer. I could also go straight to a mod chip. I've soldered before and I'm 75% certain I could install it, but even if I was successful, then what? Would the chip let me skip the dashboard entirely, or would I still have to install software on the hard drive? Beyond that, would it give me the freedom to put any hard drive I wanted into the 'box? I really need some guidance, guys. What's my best move from here?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yep.
You can boot Slayers CD with a modchip and format your drive and install a clean or already hacked C dash, which will save your Xbox again.

I can't link to it as it contains copyrighted files.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

ArugulaZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry, that shouldn't be necessary. I've got an ISO of Slayers_EvoX_Autoinstaller_2.7FINAL, which I assume is the file I need. Just burn that to a disc and use that on a chipped Xbox? Doesn't sound too terribly hard. Jury's still out on the mod chip, though.

DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Don't worry, that shouldn't be necessary. I've got an ISO of Slayers_EvoX_Autoinstaller_2.7FINAL, which I assume is the file I need. Just burn that to a disc and use that on a chipped Xbox? Doesn't sound too terribly hard. Jury's still out on the mod chip, though.
You can also read your eeprom and fix the files on the hdd which can be easily done with a raspi.

ArugulaZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay... I hadn't heard about this. Then again, I don't have a Raspberry Pi. Any chance I could use a rooted Android instead? I've got plenty of those, heh.
(No? Okay, just checking!)
I do seem to recall backing up my EEPROM during the failed soft mod, but to WHERE I have no idea. I would like to know more about this Raspberry Pi method, just in case that option is ever available to me.

DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Okay... I hadn't heard about this. Then again, I don't have a Raspberry Pi. Any chance I could use a rooted Android instead? I've got plenty of those, heh.
(No? Okay, just checking!)
I do seem to recall backing up my EEPROM during the failed soft mod, but to WHERE I have no idea. I would like to know more about this Raspberry Pi method, just in case that option is ever available to me.
It is on the hdd but the hdd is locked.
https://github.com/grimdoomer/PiPROM

ArugulaZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, the BEST thing for me to do is to hand this behemoth over to someone who actually knows what they're doing and say, "Here, you deal with this." Unfortunately, I don't know of any people in the immediate area who know how to do this, and it would cost too much to send the Xbox to someone with that experience (to say nothing of labor costs). I'm probably going to try the hotswap first (if I can find a potato computer), then go to the mod chip as a last resort. That chip costs as much as a used Xbox would, but c'est la vie.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's "cheapish" clone chips you can get for a tenner orso.

But yeh, you could do the hotswap but I doubt you'll succeed.
Remember that hotswapping can kill harddrives.

ArugulaZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really...? Got a link? All the chips I've found have been twenty bucks. Too bad it's not like the GameCube. Xeno chips for that are like three bucks!

ArugulaZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, THAT I can afford. Thanks, both of you! I'll just cool my heels and wait for this to arrive. Any recommendations on wires? I took some out of an old printer cable but they're kinda thick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show