Which PSPs cannot play UMD?

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there's a number after psp type but also there's psp go.

Some PSPs that are being sold are titled in the title of the sell that they don't play UMDs.

How do I know which ones do and which ones don't? Which ones area identifiable without knowing the model type?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP Go cannot use physical UMDs as they do not have UMD drives.

What you probably see in the Ebay listings is the seller indicating that the UMD drive is broken and you shouldn't complain or return about it being broken since they were transparent about it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I didn't mention that the item is broken or anything, but yeah I was thinking that someone could THINK that maybe

Though If someone else posted this, I wouldn't read this post and think that the item is possibly broken
Laser lenses are perishable. It’s entirely possible that the drive is perfectly fine and just can’t read UMD’s anymore. Not that it matters because you really, really don’t want to use the UMD drive anyway - load from MSPD.

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Laser lenses are perishable. It’s entirely possible that the drive is perfectly fine and just can’t read UMD’s anymore. Not that it matters because you really, really don’t want to use the UMD drive anyway - load from MSPD.

I don't know what MSPD is

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Memory Stick Pro Duo.
Correct. It’s faster, more reliable, doesn’t cause any additional wear and tear since there’s no moving parts involved and it even saves you battery life, which is kinda important on PSP’s - those UMD drives are power hungry. There’s no reason not to, it’s advantageous in every way, which is why most people don’t really care if the UMD drive is functional or not. Heck, I’ve even seen people remove their UMD drives altogether to make the system lighter, or use that extra space for something better, like better speakers.

Reactions: Hayato213

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Correct. It’s faster, more reliable, doesn’t cause any additional wear and tear since there’s no moving parts involved and it even saves you battery life, which is kinda important on PSP’s - those UMD drives are power hungry. There’s no reason not to, it’s advantageous in every way, which is why most people don’t really care if the UMD drive is functional or not. Heck, I’ve even seen people remove their UMD drives altogether to make the system lighter, or use that extra space for something better, like better speakers.
Not to mention the loading times are - to be blunt - arse. That's why I got a PSP Go rather than bothering to fix my 1000. Trying to play a Elimination Chamber match in SVR06 with a full set of created wrestlers on UMD will grow you a beard in the time it takes to load.

Reactions: Foxi4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 999.... Apple.... Can I just use 999 dollar bills and light them on fire?