Hardware Where to buy memory sticks for cheap

vayanui8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking to get a new memory stick for my psp since my old one is only 2 gigs. Im hoping to get one with a pretty good size, since I plan on puting a lot of games on it. However, all the sites I've seen have stupidly high prices. Is there any particular places you would recommend looking for one where to prices are better?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You have two options, official MSPD card or adapter with microSD.

Adapter with microSD is slower, and more of luck based. It can work or doesn't work. Some games lag when you use adapter in addition to being compressed.

MSPD card is more expensive, but trouble-free. You can score a 32 GB MSPD card for around $50. In contrast an adapter with microSD is around $25 to $30.

I really recommend getting real MSPD card. If you have to save that $20 to $25 you should be worry about putting food on the table first.

vayanui8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking Ill probably go for a 16 gig. That'll give me plenty of space and if I go over I should be able to just swap a few games out, but not face the pain of swapping out that I have with my stupid 2 gig card

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have two options, official MSPD card or adapter with microSD.

Adapter with microSD is slower, and more of luck based. It can work or doesn't work. Some games lag when you use adapter in addition to being compressed.

MSPD card is more expensive, but trouble-free. You can score a 32 GB MSPD card for around $50. In contrast an adapter with microSD is around $25 to $30.

I really recommend getting real MSPD card. If you have to save that $20 to $25 you should be worry about putting food on the table first.
I have to seriously question this. Especially in the face of seeing the inflated prices today.

My reaction when seeing those crazy prices?
KtlgEw

Attachments

• capture_16012014_074049.jpg
    capture_16012014_074049.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 285

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have to seriously question this. Especially in the face of seeing the inflated prices today.

My reaction when seeing those crazy prices?
Crazy price? Comparable CF card cost around the same as MSPD. SD card is cheap for two reasons,

* Spec'd less for NAND chip. SD card therefore use bottom barrel/lowest quality NAND chip while higher quality one goes to other memory card and SSD.
* SD card association is made up of many NAND manufacturers, therefore manufacturers can recoup production cost from license fee. In contrast CF is solely from Sandisk and MSPD is solely from Sony. Neither Sandisk and Sony is NAND manufacturer, they hire others to do fabrication.

Anyway, Amazon periodically have sale on MSPD card, specifically the Lexar one. A year ago I bought two 32 GB MSPD cards for $80 from Adorma Camera (now sold out). There is no advantage to use the faster Pro HG, since PSP cannot utilize 8-bit parallel connection from it.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PR speak aside, the cost for a 32gig MSPD vs SD, much less a flash drive, is ridiculous. Sony actively chooses to keep their shit proprietary just to keep their prices up. It's been their MO since even before Betamax.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
I personally bought this memory stick pro duo adapter w/ 32 GB MicroSDHC card here for my PSP 1000 unit and my brother's PSP3000 unit. link here. It's served me well. No lag on any of the games I've put on there. All Eboots run fine, even CDDA audio ones. No lag, no hiccups, nothing. Emulation and all that run fine too, as do PSP games themselves. Already stored up to $25 GB of content.

For $25, I can't complain.

Reactions: hellfire2081

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go to newegg.com. Get a PhotoFast CR-5400 and a couple reasonably fast microSDHC's (class 8 or better) to populate it w/.

1) New Egg doesn't actually sell CR-5400's... You will be ordering from a vendor in China, through New Egg's market place. Their market place vendors are reliable; if they aren't they are kicked off the market place. None the less, if this bothers you find one elsewhere (there are people in the US that sell them, I just can't be bothered to look for one right now).

2) A-Data microSD's have always done right by me. I my experience, the speed the packaging says the card is rated at is always close to what the product actually benchmarks at, I've never had one DOA or fail and they're fairly cheap. I've got a couple of these and they are exactly what is claimed (speed wise, etc), have so far performed flawlessly, sold directly by New Egg, and qualify for free shipping.

$25 well spent, IMO. I've got similar configurations (different model/brands of microSD in them) in both my 1000 and 2000, and despite all the people who tell you to avoid adapters, they function very well for me. I've found zero advantage to using my official Sony/Sandisk branded MSPD cards... And the 8GB Sony one of it cost me ~$75. (Fuck you Sony.)

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem with those pro dual apater's is even inside the psp they break too easy plus i can't find those fucking things local... or a 32GB card local... (Not mirco sd btw)

kmno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Serious question here, I have a PSP Go and I'm looking for a Memory Stick Micro M2 32GB card but I can't find it anywhere, do anyone here know where to find one?

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
look for the M2 memory cards with pro duo adapter, i had one for my psp and did not notice any difference in speed..........................sudeki300

kmno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Really? Crap, well the were can I find a 16gb one? I've been searching and it is like searching for lost treasure...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks