Gaming Where are all the feet in fire emblem?

BMinkie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it that they have really small feet? just finished playing for a hour now looks at the cutscenses looks like its might be really small feet lol

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is no reason to believe that they cut them out for performance issues or anything like that. It was a choice they made, and therefore it's a "style". And it's not like they are completely without feet. They are just weird, flat, hoove shaped things.

ggyo's post makes sense. it could have been laziness. using "style" to cover up the difficulty of making a body move naturally. But yet every other game can make characters look just fine, lazy Fire Emblem developers. :P
Not exactly EVERY other game...

Have you ever played Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga? The characters move so awkwardly, and same with The Last Story (probably the two worst culprits of bad motions I can think of). I could list dozens of games with bad character animations, and they're mostly games on Nintendo consoles...

But at the same time, at the other end of the spectrum, most of Nintendo first party games have some of the very best character animations. Nintendo's attention to detail in everything besides graphics up to this point is the industry's best, and I honestly think it peaked with Twilight Princess. I could not spot a single awkward movement or position in the whole game, and I'm an OCD stickler for spotting imperfections in everything technologically (like how the BACK button on IE9 wasn't asymmetrical).

Games like Skyrim have notoriously bad animations for animals (squirrels, foxes, mountain goats) and dragons, but they can't exactly hire animals as motion actors. Capcom developers really shine with creature animations. Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, etc.

When developers work on highly realistic games, they get motion capture actors to get those animations to look real (and it's mostly done for cutscenes). It's not 100% necessary, and I think a good majority of games, even with some nice animations, don't use them. The Fire Emblem developers really do just slack.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I agree with the OP. Look at this

image_54439_thumb_wide610.jpg

The character models look awesome, but their feet have been cut off for some reason. In this picture only the dragon has feet, lol.

And before emigre asks, no I find people who jerk off to feet disgusting.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wind Waker anyone? I've never seen this kind of complaints when wind Waker was released.
They did have feet in Wind Waker, even though they were short. Thing is, Wind Waker really DID have an art style going on, and the stubby, cartoony feet fit the art style. In Fire Emblem: Awakening, however, lack of feet at all (not even stubby ones) doesn't fit the art style at all. It's just a random omission, with a shady explanation for why, at best.

Reactions: ggyo

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
Kusakihara: (Laughs) Well, they're there...they're just...omitted a little bit. The idea was to add a unique sort of deformation to the characters. As for why it ended up like this... At the start of the project, we weren't entirely sure how many bones and joints we'd be able to use in each character model. As it is now, there's a joint at the knees, and then there's nothing below that for the ankles and the feet. This makes it a bit easier to apply animation to models as well. We found out afterward that, with the 3DS, we had more than enough CPU strength available to flesh out the models a bit, add real ankles and so on. We were like "Well, if there's a next time, maybe there'll be more ankles..." (laughs)

http://kotaku.com/mystery-solved-why-no-one-in-fire-emblem-awakening-ha-466003115

/thread

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof